1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Know your traffic laws: I just got screwed because I didn't

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jul 9, 2019.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

Even if you are aware of being in someone's blind spot it doesn't prevent them from changing lanes into you.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

<puts on Mr. Rogers cardigan>
    I think we're being a little too harsh on what. Yes, definitely myself included.

It's very natural to see oneself as the victim in a collision or confrontation. At least he's listing mitigating factors that don't put him in a favorable light. And having lost vision in an eye is no picnic.

jcf, Blatz and arkoe like this.
  3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Of course not. But being aware in general, and being a defensive driver, will go a long way toward avoiding wrecks.

In general, a good driver who is very aware of all that is around him, can avoid having a wreck with a bad driver.

In general, it takes two drivers who are not really paying attention to have a wreck.

Houstunna likes this.
  4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, this gets back to the point that maybe the OP should not be driving.

My comments were more general in nature.

5. what

what Member

from birth, it doesn't bother me at all, in fact if i came up to talk to you you wouldn't even know that I was blind in my left eye, as my eyes follow each other, somehow I trained them to do that.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

go to court... make him prove your lane change was unsafe without evidence...

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Quite honestly, this post sums up why you are probably at fault.

You had no idea how far behind you she was when you took the lane.

You said something like "she had the nerve to say I didn't see her." - Quite frankly, it sounds like you didn't.

Without being there, it sounds like she was possibly in your blindspot, you cut her off, and (maybe you left this part out) did you then hit your brakes because there was a car in front of you?

Sounds like she tried to avoid hitting you because she had a baby in the car and tried to pass. This happens all the time when people cut others off. I've been guilty and in the nonguilty swerving party. I'm sure we all have.

If this is the case, yes, you are at fault. It sounds like that's what the cop is seeing, to me, at least.

Sorry.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My dad is blind in his left eye and has never had an accident. I trust him driving 45 or anywhere in Houston more than anyone else in my family.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Holy lord... This is terrifying.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. what

what Member

She said that she saw my blinker on. I did LOOK in my mirror and saw no one. Also, apparently you and other people don't know HOW FAST a lead-footed houston driver can close space. Literally in less than a second they can go from 200 to 300 feet behind you to nothing in a matter of seconds.

Yes, she could have been in my blind spot, but she admittedly saw my blinker and didn't take the possibility that I was actually going to make a lane change seriously.

Also, ask me if I think the countless times I DO see a person coming up behind me like a bat outta hell, that these people are driving safe? Absolutely not. They just take it as a given that nobody is going to get in their way, until they do.

I firmly believe that this lady tried to take the spot from me AFTER she knew that I was trying to get in the lane: and yes, I never saw her but she clearly saw me and could have avoided the accident, if she had wanted to. But she assumed that I would SEE that she wasn't going to let me in and played a game of chicken with me.

Ultimately I paid the price for it and she probably thinks that she is a good driver, which I don't believe for one minute that she is.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So...assume I am driving down the freeway. I see the guy to my right with his left blinker on. I am driving faster than him so I know that I will pass him prior to him needing to move over. Should I:

A - continue driving, pass him up and then he can continue his lane change
    B - hit my brakes and slow down to let him merge and perhaps put the people behind me in peril as all of a sudden, I am slowing down

Keep in mind that I do not know that the guy is completely blind in his left eye and has no idea I am to his left as he has been self admittedly driving forever without properly adjusted mirrors.

In my 40+ years of driving experience, I have had my blinker on countless times and waited for the person to my left or right to pass me prior to making the lane change. Countless times, I have seen the blinkers of other drivers and continued my driving to pass them prior to their change because that was the correct thing to do.

Unfortunately, you have no idea where the woman was. You have no idea if she sped up when she saw your blinker or if she simply continued maintaining her speed. It is unfortunate that you were putting so many people in peril as you self admittedly have only since the accident adjusted your mirrors properly.

Also, I don't think we have yet to hear, why were you changing lanes?

superfob and Two Sandwiches like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Unless she was going 135 mph and you were going 0, this is literally impossible. In one second, a car going 60 mph travels about 88 feet.

It seems like every time you post, your story gets more factually problematic.

justtxyank and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

This gave me a chuckle.

biff17 likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

It seems we have very similar taste.

I definitely chuckled without looking at the video.

15. Buck Turgidson

That may be my favorite episode, and I try to fit "Wildcard, b****es!" into my conversations at least once a week.

Fyreball likes this.
  16. biff17

biff17 Member

That's the beauty of it, you can fit it into a multitude of situations depending on your courage level.