1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It appears Jake faked outside on the step before going inside. His right foot was right of the foul line plus he fake upper body. Lucroy didn't buy it.

jcee15 likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I didnt see it right away, but Lucroy made a slight faint outside just before Marisnick went inside. Then Lucroy went inside towards the ball.

Umps blew the call. Just that simple.

King1 and jcee15 like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It was a bang bang play. Hard to see ill intent on either party.

everyday eddie and kaleidosky like this.
  4. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

This.

5. VanityHalfBlack

glad we got the win. Angels play really well against the stros. Would they be considered competition and can they make the wildcard?

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Also, if the only video available in a court case afterwards is a side-view cam from a car driving by in the next lane, catching ~2 seconds of pre-collision and collision, you're going to look pretty awful and like you were trying to aim for the car in front of you.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

highlights from the non double header double header game

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is very easy for people to see ill intent. It looks like many other plays that were likely ill intent. I'd say there are things that show it isn't ill intent, but you have to look closer.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Switch jerseys and most comments switch along with it.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't know why he doesn't do this? especially with the batter struggling, he should have totally bunted over Reddick.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm thinking Jake will get suspended for a game or two. Looks like he was trying to avoid him by going inside so it wasn't malicious, but if you're supposed to go outside then he's at fault.

2nd series after the all-star game is in LA and should be interesting. I'm guessing Hinch won't play Jake in CF due to the fan reaction. Also, will be interesting to see how the Astros handle Jake getting hit by a pitch. Reading social media the Angels fans will be loud and angry.

12. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

To me the slight shift you see Lucroy do before the ball gets there is what made Jake change his approach trying to get the slide in.

I would like to compliment Calhoun though, that was a hell of a throw because I wouldn't have expected it to be close at that depth in RF.

13. Buck Turgidson

Take the umps out of it.

2 guys made instantaneous plays and it turned into a collision. Nobody meant to do that, but it happens.

Ausmus should know better, but he was a total candyass at blocking the plate back when it was allowed (he tried to patent the swipe-tag). That guy did not like contact at all.

Anybody heard anything about Lucroy?

14. Major

Major Member

I don't blame Jake and don't think it's suspension-worthy, but from this angle, he clearly made the wrong decision. The entirety of the play, Lucroy's entire body was on the inside of the baseline, meaning that the base was never blocked off and that the outside was always open. Jake guessed Lucroy was going to come across the line - and that's understandable - but really, even if he did, Jake almost certainly collides with Lucroy's right leg, which could have been even uglier.

I don't know the right technical call with all of MLB's different rules and interpretations, but it looks to me like Lucroy did everything right. He left a lane open initially, his entire body stayed inside the line the whole time even when reaching to get the ball, etc. The collision was based on Jake making an educated guess that turned out to be incorrect.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Public opinion on this play is biased towards how the umps called it. Ive seen numerous, not just west coast, based calls for Jake to be suspended. I dont know how much weight that carries, but if MLB changes the call, all that goes away.

16. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    It's ridiculous for Jake or the Astros to be apologizing for that play. It was very clearly unintentional and Lucroy was in the baseline. That's baseball! When it happened, instead of apologizing, Jake should have been doing this immediately afterwards:

[​IMG]

GOOD DAY

The Real Shady likes this.
  17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

I don't care about public opinion, nobody else should either. That's why I said "take the umps out of it".

Hope dude is ok, but that's just how things work with the new rules they have in place. Now you have to think where *is the catcher going to move to* as you initiate your slide.

That's tough. No fault on either side from what I saw.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I just want Jake vindicated.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It was totally intentional. I haven't seen anything like this since:

[​IMG]