1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astroworld memories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

They should build a new park right in the same spot...with a water park. Yea...that's the ticket!

I would like to thank Astroworld for introducing me to the ski event stands where apparently groups of people hung out in the stands at night and got high (not during shows obviously). My first time. And, of course, I didn't feel anything.

Us delinquents also used to come in a van stacked with party supplies and abuse the leave/re-enter hand stamp policy like it was going out of style. Hang out in the van a bit partying it up and then go back in. Repeat ad nauseum. That was so much fun back in the day.

And, I'll never forget being busted trying to sneak from Waterworld into Astroworld at night. We had no plan and we're pretty much stuck near the train tracks trying to find a way in. We were trying to sneak into a Night Ranger concert...a band I don't even like. I felt like I was in "The Fugitive". We were being hunted by several park security members. At one point, I was under the Dexter Freebish and people were riding over (above) us as we looked up. Oops! In the end, they caught us and let us go. We were kids! I was freaking in thongs trying to run. Ant mounds 3 and 4 feet tall being dodged. Thorns everywhere. No Man's Land just beyond those train tracks.

Ah...the memories!

#81 Surfguy, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Defunctland uploaded this on YouTube in commemoration:

GRENDEL, pippendagimp and Bandwagoner like this.
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

For all those b****ing about Astroworld being torn down, let me ask you one question. Have yall ever parked your car in that serene landscaped paradise of a parking lot? Well, I have, and my car has never been happier, mpg increased, uptick in power from the motor and best of all a/c blew colder than ever. Im not sure but I swear even the trunk got bigger for more holding capacity. I love it and my car loves it. Good riddance Astroworld.

4. dmoneybangbang

Greased Lighting was my all time favorite. Would alternate between the front and back seat.

DCkid and GRENDEL like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i used to wait till a almost-rainy day when nobody wanted to go so i could ride cyclone, greased lighting, excalibur, XLR8 nonstop without any lines. i think my record was 9 times on greased lightning back-to-back. my fav attraction there was actually not the rollercoasters but that panoramic movie theatre where u lied back with your head on the carpet and watched the same show every time of the cars almost running into stuff trying to scare you. i just liked the supercold a/c in there after a hot day :D

weakfromtoday likes this.
  6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I think it was called "Horizons". Also the smell of fresh baked bread wafting over the park, ummmmmm!

pippendagimp likes this.
  7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I've been trying to remember the name of that theater since yesterday! That was it, "Horizons".

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

The Cyclone was such a beating - rickety old coaster that made you sore afterward from all the bumpiness

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Early 80's you could get those MLB plastic batting helmets without ear protection but they were usually out of Astros so you had to get another team...

BigShasta likes this.
  10. VanityHalfBlack

dude I remember in the 6th grade and I saw mamasita with the biggest boobs ever with the tightest shirt known to man. I didn't give a damn about no rides. Wish I rode her,lol

11. likestohypeguy

One of my trips to waterworld as a kid, for some reason stopped in the arcade, waiting on everyone to conduct their business across the walk at the lockers, and as I sometimes would with VG's pushed buttons without quarters for no good reason, and found the TRON game was malfunctioning... unlimited free plays without a single quarter!

They couldn't budge me off that game, sat on it the entire day didn't hit one water ride. Adults tried, but eventually just shrugged and moved on, friends pissed. What a waste lol.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I remember they put a bunch of YAK terminals in a room somewhere, so spent half an evening chatting on that. Still never processed that the internet or chatrooms were a thing, and our dad would dial into the refinery or intranet on his PC Jr and modem pretty frequently.

13. Garner

Garner Member

I remember the buzz surrounding the opening of Dungeon Drop.

dachuda86 likes this.
  14. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I remember watching Selena perform there. Met the girl I lost my virginity to there too, at the ultra twister, gave her a cut in line, that lead to a ten year relationship that ended in her cheating on me with some dude she met at the gym. I also worked there in 96 in season pass processing.

#94 Felixthecat, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    BigShasta likes this.