1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astroworld memories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Precision340

Precision340 Member

I remember taking a high school class trip there. We had to calculate the speeds of some of the rides, how tall the rides were based on the length of their shadows, etc... fun experience!

2. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I remember meeting some hot chick there, I was 17. We rode the Mayan MindBender and fingered her the whole ride. Sucks cause right after she had to leave. I didnt get her number an never saw the w**** again. I went home that night an stroked it till I was numb.

IBTL likes this.
  3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Taz's Texas Tornado is still in use today at the San Marcos National Fair in Mexico. Its been renamed "Tsunami"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami_(roller_coaster)

Who remembers the Alpine Sleigh ride?

[​IMG]

Here's some really old footage of the park

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t8qPwElYAys?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

If I had billions of dollars, I would blow a lot of it on rebuilding Astroworld brick by brick. It's so sad to think it's gone forever and there will likely never be anything like that to replace it.

I don't understand how Over Texas and Fiesta were able to attract a steady amount of people and Astroworld did not. I know Over Texas is independently owned from the Six Flags parent company so it wasn't in danger of being torn down. I hope the problem was Astroworld attendance and not that Six Flags sacrificed it to help the parent company. It's horrible that a single board of people in the 40 year history of the park had the ability to destroy it.

Loved going to old Europe, Oriental Village, Coney Island etc. Loved every bit of it. My issue with Fiesta is that it's themed like the rest of San Antonio. And over Texas is near Dallas so **** it.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes ..The Alpine Sleigh Ride with the Abominable Snowman...

And your footage is awesome!

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Didn't somebody local by Greezed Lightning and put it on their property, or am I imagining that?

7. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Its still around somewhere but dismantled
    It was supposed to be put together at Cliffs Amusement Park back in 2012 but don't think it ever happened:
    http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/220902

There was some hope of its return at the new Grand Texas but apparently its too pricey
    http://houston.culturemap.com/news/...ter-all-legendary-roller-coasters-too-pricey/

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

What a shame. I didn't even know that it was in the plans for the new theme park. As commentors in that article mention, it's hard to really buy the fact that cost is the issue for them not going through with using it. I get the whole "wanting to move on and carve their own niche" thing, but I don't think one small nod to Astroworld would have hurt anything. And it was unique, and a great ride.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Did any of the other rides move to other, existing theme parks?

10. Granville

Granville Member

If you had given her the shocker, she might have given you her number. 2P1S for life. Coulda renamed the ride the Stinko DeMayan Mind Bender.

RocketBlood likes this.
  11. Raven

Raven Member

Loved it! The cool air followed by the splash. ;) It's a pity that dark rides have lost their appeal.

12. body slam

body slam Member

AstroWorld would have been 50 years old today

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Moments lost in time, like tears in rain...

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

The best thing about the Alpine Sleigh ride was that cold blast of air you would get at the very end. In the Houston heat that was awesome.

My brother worked there for about five years starting the first year it opened. He worked the black dragon in the beginning, but ended up working all over the park. He would work those double shifts and be out there all day.

Hard to believe the only roller coaster they had that first year was the serpent. I believe Dexter Freebish roller ride was built a year or two later.

I loved the wacky shack.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's a damn shame the 4th biggest city in the country doesn't have a major theme park because one man f**ked up.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Why is this thread always brought up to remind me that my childhood summertime babysitter is dead?

17. hieuytran

hieuytran Member

Now it sits empty just to store Rodeo structures and parking during the Rodeo....sigh

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I did this same thing back in 1975 when I worked there (except I started on Le Taxi). Made $1.80/hour. Once I hit 600 hours working, I was bumped up to $1.95. Once they made me a foreman, I hit $2.10.

ramotadab likes this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

good job. Lovely.
    Astroworld and waterworld were a part of my childhood. Anyone remember going to that room where you lay down at watch movies of being on motorcycles fast cars rollercoasters? It was really cold in there too. For reference it was across from the arcade that had tron video game.

I did lsd and the line at batman the escape was as intense as the ride. I didnt have the skills to close a fingering while chatting in line though. I commend your work. good times.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah the spherical building.

man, astroworld was really effing enormous. crazy to think that it even existed, now that we are this far removed from it. depressing. miss that place.

remember the radar gun right near greezed lightning where you had to throw, then come within one mph of your throw to win the prize?

IBTL likes this.