1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warriors sign Willie Cauley-Stein

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 2, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I'd like to know why the Rockets didn't make a similar offer. Teams are just letting the Warriors off the hook.

I certainly think he was worth a shot at the minimum.

ak99999 and B-Bob like this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Seriously - feels like they have obtained 3 "names" since they have been officially determined to be hard capped.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lowest payroll is 2nd round pick at $722K.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's not confusing imo. they're eventually going to shed salary to get under the tax again. the remaining MLE will not get used

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We are well under the tax this season with Shumpert's 11 mill and Nene's 3.8 mill off the books. We can use our MLE and we'd be fine, it is confusing.

ak99999 likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Even if they did, i think he has more chances to start with the Warriors, here he would've been forced to come off the bench.

Regardless, i'm kinda shocked nobody offered him more money, teams without a center like Atlanta, Dallas, all of them could've put around 10M on the table...

B-Bob likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey has no intention on using it, so frustrating. Plenty of guys could have been signed by now.

ak99999 likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

still need to add 4-5 more players to get the minimum roster

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

All WCS said this season is that he wants to get paid. Then he signs for the minimum. Makes no sense. I thought he was worth far more.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Only rationale would be more minutes for the taking against Looney v Capela.

I don't understand why a lotto team didn't take a flyer on him. Coming out of college, he looked to be an elite rim protector.... he hasn't shown that in the NBA, but even still, he put up 12-8 the past couple of years and is still in his mid 20s.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  11. nemac

nemac Member

They've spent the MLE already. On fireworks.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wcs isn’t any good. A lot of y’all are easily fooled. Tremendously low b-ball iq. It’s a toss up who is smarter bw him and McGhee

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know. We'd be roughly 5.5 mill under the lux tax with 13 players IF we added two rookies (summer league) and two more vet mins to go with our current roster. Meaning we could use almost the entirety of our remaining MLE and stay just under the lux tax.

None of that matters in the case though, WCS went for just a hair above vet min.

14. Embrace the clutch

This offseason reminds me of the Texans offseason. I don’t think this is good for Morey

15. Fantasma Negro

Getting him for the minimum is great g.m.ing but WCS is pretty much a more competent Javale McGee. Nothing to be afraid of in free agency yet

plutoblue11 likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

when i just checked we were at about $125.5M with 10 contracts, including clark/harty/house/rivers. which would leave about $7M for 4 more players. anyways whatever the numbers are at the moment, i have very little confidence they are going to do anything closely resembling "all in" this season either.

17. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I still say Jimmy Butler saved this offseason, by going to Miami...

You think our roster is light now, imagine trading away (possibly) Clint, Eric and PJ then having whatever few pennies we had left to REPLACE 2 of those 3 we lost. And then the season long drama of all of Basketball nation counting down the days until JB even looked sideways at James.

Let Kawhi sign. And we'll see what is left. I think PatBev is still out there, right? KCP... Marcus Morris. Cousins if no one wants to commit money to him. Take a flyer on Jabari Parker (he's only 24).

If worse comes to worst, Morey flips them again at the trade deadline for buyout guys.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Beverley signed on the first day, extended with the Clippers.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

GSW lets Cauley Stein run in the PnR in the regular season with D'angelo.

I dun think Willie wants to play 15-20 minutes behind Capela.

plutoblue11 likes this.
  20. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

My bad, I just saw that. So replace him with (wow I was just about to say Rondo... wouldn't THAT be fun)... Danny Green, or maybe Kelly Oubre (yes he's an RFA but still) ... both decent wings with some D in them (that sounded better in my head).