1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sixers offer Ben Simmons max contract(5 yrs/$168M); expected deal soon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Jul 2, 2019.

1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

vince carter wasn't a good shooter either, pj tucker

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

they actually had a floor/foundation to work on going in. starting from where they were is not even close to where hes starting from. its as close to scratch as youll get. even giannis is farther along than him on his jumper and giannis has alot of work to do

3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Lebron is another one, he wasn't a good shooter...point is....it aint 0 percent chance, ok? He's still worth a max contract with his defense, ball handling, rebounds, assists....all other teams would be willing to take that risk too.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

whether its 0 percent or 20. the chances arent high. teams take ridiculous risks all the time. doesn't mean its the right move

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ben Simmons would be the best player on the planet if he were even a decent shooter.

I guess it's an investment, he's already really good as is. If he addresses that major issue he'll be worth the money and then some, if not that franchise will be perennial 2nd rounders.

Risky, but not nearly as bad as some of the ludicrous max deals we've seen.

6. Lovemachine2000

That's total BS, Carter was a respectable shooter from the very beginning. He shot over 40% from 3 during his 2nd and 3rd season in the league with a sizable sample for that era. He made 9 threes in one game against the 76ers in the 2001 Playoffs.

hakeem94 and clutchdabear like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wonder....if the Sixers underachieve for the next couple of years...who would they deal first, between Embiid and Simmons?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jessh, the dude was basically tuned into Capela in the playoffs and he's getting a max?

Wow.

9. opticon

opticon Member

Good for him he needs grab the bag with both hands before the league realizes he may never be able to take and make clutch shots.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's always funny to me that people, not saying anyone here as I haven't really read the replies, think getting a shot is easy.

As if that is something he can just acquire in a summer, as if it's just that easy to just get a shot...

My guess is he'll never be a good shooter, if he's not even a decent one now, then its foolish to expect he'll make leaps and bounds to become a good shooter.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Those dudes paying Tobias more lol.

I think Simmons would be amazing as a center in a system like the Rockets. I don't see how the hell it's going to work next to Embiid when neither can shoot well.

12. steddinotayto

While I agree with you that it's not easy to just conjure up a respectable shot overnight, it can be done if the player works on it. Tony Parker, Jason Kidd, etc worked on getting better as shooters as time went by. Simmons has pretty much said there's no chance in hell he's going to try and improve his shooting. That, to me, lowers his ceiling and potential. Hell, if Giannis can work his way towards being an average shooter, why can't Simmons?

BaselineFade and JayGoogle like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree, it's not impossible and Kidd and Parker worked on it for their entire careers.

I think Simmons is someone that made it to the NBA being bigger, stronger, and faster than everyone and thinks that's all he really needs. If he did get a shot though he'd become an amazing player, unfortunately, I think this is in his head.

It's pretty odd to watch a guard just not take shots. I really don't care what anyone tells me, he doesn't take them because he's scared to take them, and until he gets over that fear of missing he's always going to be a bad shooter. Lack of confidence can ruin even good shooters, just look at Ryno...

14. steddinotayto

I think you're spot on with the fear factor being at play and it'll be unfortunate if he doesn't get help to overcome that. The people surrounding him aren't doing him any favors by not telling him "Hey..uhh...you need to be at least a semi-threat in the perimeter if you want to stay on the floor come playoff time". Hell, even if he improved his FT% to the mid 70s it would do wonders for both him and the Sixers.

Easy likes this.
  15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

He can play center with superior passing and cover 1-4 on defense. Too bad Philly already has a better center. On a team with better fit, he is certainly worth the max. On Philly, I don't think so.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah the difference is that all the others tried to learn to shoot.
    Simmons doesn't.

I don't care what the media says, when you hire your brother as the shooting coach then you aren't serious.

BaselineFade, hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

How many years has Rubio been the league?

18. omgTHEpotential

Simmons is not a center, not even a smallball center. Too soft, overrated defender. Doesn't stretch the floor. He's not worth the max on any team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Thought Elton Brand was supposed to be an above average GM.

Potential should have some likelihood, a trajectory of improvement where he's showing progress. The jumpshot criticism isn't new, what did he work on last summer.

He better hit the gym.

#39 TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

He can be a center on offense and cover 1-4 on defense. I don't think he's an overrated defender, his defense is just fine. However he doesn't go 100% all the time, like Draymond Green for example.

Speaking about Draymond, he can be the closest comparison. Yes, he's a career 32% 3P shooter, but defenses leave him open all the time - same as Simmons.