1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you SnT Shump for Iggy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 1, 2019.

?

Would you SnT Shump for Iggy considering all factors?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2019.
  1. Yes

63.1%
  2. No

28.0%
  3. I abstain. Courteously.

8.9%
  1. johnk2220

johnk2220 Member

SnT Shump and a 2nd for Iggy? Sure. He’s a glue guy that does a little of everything. He reminds me of a battier for us. Guards the big scorers and can play off the ball. He’s def going to lakers tho if he’s bought out. If morey wants to stick it to pelinka then he’d try to trade for iggy

D-rock likes this.
  2. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

I’m saying it strikes me as an extremely optimistic outlook, bordering on absurdly so. Assuming consistent health / limited decline from a roster that heavy on 30somethings AND everything else breaking right to get to 60 wins is a lot of assumptions.

3. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Basketball.

I was a Sonics fan till the NBA and Bennett screwed us. Haven’t latched onto a new team since.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Don't take this is as a "you don't belong here" because that isn't what I mean...

Why are you here? We've had a few fans end up here before that aren't Rocket fans and I'm always curious as to what brings them here and what causes them to stick around.

5. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

No worries. I logged on after GS sent HOU home yet again because i was curious if the prevailing fan mood was burn it down or stay the course (looks like some of each, but mostly the latter).

And i stayed because there was some interesting general hoops conversation.

D-rock and justtxyank like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

It is optimistic but not without reason.

They were 11-14, in shambles. They finished the season 42-15, a pace slightly higher than 60 wins if my math is good, without ever really regaining full health. They’ve actually got a decent mix of vets and youth now imo, Nene’s presence definitely tipped the scales. Capela, Rivers, House and Clark are all mid-20s. Tucker is the elder now I believe and his game isn’t exactly speed and athleticism.

Having House and Rivers for 82 is a huge boost. I think we are all eagerly awaiting the MLE addition...but it is far from an absurdity to say they are among the league’s best rosters.

7. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Ok. I think it's highly unrealistic, but we are unlikely to change each other's minds on this. Have a good one.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I agree with @PlayBall

Everything working out and us getting to 60 wins is certainly possible, but it's unlikely imo. We got a historic performance from Harden last year. We aren't going to do that again, by choice if nothing else. It was too much.

Our defense will likely take a step back, even if only initially, after transitioning from Coach B's system.

There will almost assuredly be injuries again.

Our rebounding is an issue.

We are a one star team right now. If we win 60 games...that would be stunning.

D-rock, Vivi and PlayBall like this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Harden is still 29. We won 56 games with Ryan Anderson and EG.

Barring major injuries, the Rockets will win 55 games easily. 58-60 is in reach, but we would need to upgrade the roster some more and have some wiggle room to accomplish that.

#89 sammy, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    clutchdabear, Dankstronaut and D-rock like this.
  10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I voted "Yes", but why does he want to come here?

11. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Nobody... and I MEAN NOBODY wants anything to do with Iman Shumpert!!! Except D’Antoni.

12. Lando

Lando Member

Dude’s not coming to Houston

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lakers like him too.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Exactly. This isn’t a two star team anymore. CP3 isn’t even top 30, Harden will surely give us an historic performance for like 54 wins but it won’t help once the playoff come.

Last offseason was the season we could afford to improve with good role players, i pleaded for Belinelli and Ellington. Instead we got Melo, Ennis and MCW who were all off the team by Feb.

This offseason we needed a star with CP’s decline and we struck out yet again.

Someone needs the axe and honestly it’s the first offseason where i’m off the Morey bandwagon. He’s just been abysmal since the CP3 trade (Rivers is an exception) and he keeps walking around with his chest high along with Tad Brown, honestly what does that guy even do?

PlayBall likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Like I said in the other Iggy thread. Getting him would prevent him from hitting big shots against us. It was a semi-joke. But yes, if we don't get him, he is likely going to end up on a contending team that we want to beat.

Shumpert has no use for us other than as a possible trade asset.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wouldn't do it for Iggy especially not with a pick thrown in.

We need to get younger and longer.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hell no if it costs us anything other than Shumpert alone.

Iggy is old and the only value in getting him is if we have a sunk cost like Shumpert and we can turn that into a tradable contracts. It's a bonus that he can contribute at all.

This team is so f'ing old. Iggy is not a solution for anything we do. Had he not sunk that one shot, he would have had his worst playoff campaign of all time.

So again to answer the question: Shumpert for an expiring contract I would do, in order to create an asset that helps in trade. However if that's going to cost us the remainder of the MLE, then just re-sign Shump to a smaller 2 year contract with the 2nd year non guaranteed or a team option (whatever is allowed under CBA).

Iggy is the wing version of Nene. If you think we're going to get $17m worth of value out of him in an already tight cap situation, you're not looking at the big picture.

18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Iggy is still a great defender and decision-maker with the ball. Not worth $17 MM but he has value for us as a player. And in the event he's really fallen off, that $17 MM expiring deal is a great asset at the deadline.

In the event we can't get a Morris or Green with the rest of our MLE, I'd be happy to flip Shump and seconds to get someone of Iggy's caliber. We'd improve our rotation and our flexibility to make moves later in the year (no hard cap + large expiring deal).

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Clutch
    Can we please not let non Rockets fans on here ?

They are just trolls

@J.R.

clutchdabear and J.R. like this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

FIFY.

At his age, what he was in the last playoffs is not what he's going to be all of next season. Also people are not just their best qualities. People are their strengths and weaknesses, and I think we're both aware of his weaknesses. His ceiling is not worth half that amount. As an expiring there's value, but if he gets a little worse and House gets a little better (both highly likely scenarios) then his on-court impact will be negligible.