1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buck Turgidson

MB and one or 2 of their relievers, please. I'm fairly certain I've only mentioned this 42 times since April.

2. HTown2017Champs

Astros get
    LHP Madison Bumgarner
    LHP Tony Watson
    C Stephen Vogt

Giants get
    OF Derek Fisher
    2B Tony Kemp
    P Framber Valdez/Josh James?
    C Max Stassi
    OF Drew Ferguson

Throwing in Vogt, too, to give Chirinos rest. I can see him and Cole forming a great battery together, California connections. If we do that, I suggest Vogt catches MadBum and Cole, Chirinos continues to catch JV, while they split the other starts during the regular season. Gives Chirinos rest, moves Stassi (he seems to be unliked by the pitchers), gets to be closer to home, and I think the team plans to move on from him and use Stubbs as the main backup next year (Chirinos I can see re-signing for one year). They also get OF help (they obviously have interest in Ferguson), and Kemp can maybe upgrade their situation at 2B.
    Who would you guys prefer, Tony Watson or Will Smith? Smith seems to be slightly better, but Watson appears to be a better clubhouse fit given his friendship with Cole, and will probably cost less to trade for due to Smith's role as closer, which isn't exactly what we need. Think they bundle? And will this package be enough? Kills (nearly) all birds with one stone.

Also, for all the concerns about MadBum, yes, he did have a rough start to the year, but he's been on a roll lately, including a great performance today. And, he's sneaky young, about 2 years younger than Keuchel, despite debuting a few years earlier. I had some concerns earlier in the season, but those are gone.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Not bad, I think it’s close but maybe not quite enough for SF. Swap Josh Rojas in for Tony Kemp and I think it’s a fair deal. Stassi and Ferguson are really low value players, but so is Vogt. So the deal would basically be Fisher, James, and Rojas for MadBum and Watson. You may need to add one more 3rd tier pitching prospect (somebody like Cristian Javier). Overall good idea.

That said I think Houston is really going to focus on pitchers with additional control left. As of now their rotation next year projects to be Verlander, Peacock, McCullers, Valdez, and James, and they won’t have much money to spend in free agency.

4. HTown2017Champs

Yep. Rojas would be more valuable thank Kemp, just trying to see if we can get something for Kemp and White by including them as throw-ins. May just have to DFA them (no room on the roster).

5. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. HTown2017Champs

I love his control, and great K and BB numbers. He may not be elite or have the name rec, but he can anchor the #3 spot in our rotation for a while. I wonder what Strom and JV can do for him. His slider is also intriguing, and the Astros love breaking balls.

Fisher, Bukauskas, and a third piece for Boyd?

7. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

3 years of control left under arbitration... going to cost more than that and I'm not that high on him. He pitches in one of the most pitcher friendly parks and has awful home/road splits. Unless the Astros see something that they can fix to make him better, I would be concerned if he is our big deadline move. I don't start him in game 3 of the playoffs over Miley.

Nook likes this.
  8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to see it happen personally. I would say they need two pitchers but I don't see that happening though. Houston doesn't have a lot of pitching depth at the moment.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  9. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, this. For sure. One starter and one reliever, IMO, but hell, a second starter wouldn't be bad given injuries, lack of depth, and for insurance.
    I think it's his slider that they like. I was watching a game he pitched in on ESPN, and their commentators were drooling over it and called it "Chris Sale-esque". I sure as hell wouldn't go that far, but it is a solid pitch. Ballparks aside, his BB and K rates are insane (seriously, look them up). And, we will need to fill our rotation for the next few years considering Cole and Miley are impending FA. I would not be upset with a 2020 rotation of JV, LMJ, and Boyd as the top 3.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  10. Screaming Fist

Yeah, Boyd has had an incredible season so far - K%-BB% has been elite and he's pitched 100 innings so far. May be tough to pull one over on the Tigers.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fisher, Bukauskas, and James would be fair imho. That’s a lot for a guy without much pedigree or track record, but he’s having a good enough season and competition for SP is such that I’m sure some team will offer even more. Including Tucker for Boyd would be an awful trade for Houston. Think about what they gave up for Cole, a player with 2 years of control and a MUCH better track record/pedigree. An equivalent to the Cole deal would be Fisher (Moran), James (Musgrove), Armenteros (Feliz), and Ronnie Dawson (Martin).

12. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Neat concept but fairly poor execution as the values are pretty silly on a lot of guys. Anyway, it says Houston could get Stroman for Beer, Toro, and James. Sign me up!

14. Nook

Nook Member

I actually don't think I would do that trade.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pretty wide range of opinions on both James and Beer.

Nook likes this.
  16. prospecthugger

James seems like an odd fit for a team so far from contention.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

??? He has 5 years of control remaining. If whoever trades for him options him to stretch him back out as a starter and doesn’t call him up until Sept, he will have 6 years left. I consider James one of Houston’s 3 most valuable realistic trade chips.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Off the wall idea. Assuming the following:

Astros know they won’t extend Correa or be able to sign him in free agency.

Correa comes back and has a healthy productive 2nd half.

Astros are running into payroll constraints that will prevent them from replacing players leaving via free agency.

Would it make sense to shop Correa this offseason looking for a godfather offer? He would have 2 seasons left. The Cubs, Braves, Phillies, Brewers, and Yankees all are in their contending windows and have weaknesses at SS starting next season.

Of course I am only suggesting they do this if they get a truly exceptional offer; hypothetically from each team:

Braves: Dansby Swanson, Ian Anderson, and Jordan Pache
    Cubs: Addison Russell, Miguel Amaya, and Nico Hoerner
    Phillies: Alex Bohm, Spencer Howard, Adonis Medina, and Maikel Franco
    Brewers: Travis Shaw, Mauricio Dubon, Corey Ray, and Brice Turang
    Yankees: Miguel Andujar, Anthony Seigler, Albert Abreu, Josh Breaux, Antonio Cabello, and Chance Adams

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You don't trade him while we are contending unless we get someone out of the minors that can play 3rd or SS almost as well as he can.

20. prospecthugger

He's only 2 years younger than the pitcher you're suggesting they trade him for, and with the way power arms often flame out, his most valuable years could easily be starting in 2020. Compared to Whitley or Bukauskas, who should be on roughly the same timeline as Mize and Manning who they likely see as the beginning of their core. Obviously James would still have value to them, but he's more valuable to a team that wants to compete in 2020. I doubt he gets traded at all, tbh.

Joe Joe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.