1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

List of MVP Voters Who Voted Against Harden in 2017 and 2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Earnie Banks, Jun 25, 2019.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Voters
    China 3
    Europe 2
    Canada 2
    South America 0

Is it’ correct?

2. riko

riko Member

What that bimbo ledlow gets a vote? Funny how Hardens contemporaries in the players regularly vote hi the league mvp or the players MVP but the media seems to screw him. Honestly the players vote holds more credence

3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Well Westbrook was a total mistake and should never have happened and a lot of people, even those who voted for him have said that they regret doing so. So if they have at least admitted they were wrong with Westbrook they get half a pass for going Giannis now. Giannis is the MVP by the more traditional criteria so I don't really have any qualms with what happened.

And before anyone calls me a Harden hater, I'll have you know I saw him in person got the first time yesterday and had a full on teenage girl freak out.

dreamshakin likes this.
  4. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

The fact that the media, or 90% BSPN, gets all the votes just proves how crooked the NBA is. I'll gladly never watch anything, or view any articles from them. I'm gonna keep enjoying online streams.

Side note: Disney owns BSPN, so basically Giannis is a new Disney princess

juanm34 and daywalker02 like this.
  5. SunsRocketsfan

When it matters, probably no one fears the beard in the playoffs. He’s still in his prime but he hasn’t proven he can carry his team when it counts.

Who cares about a meaningless mvp award and I have no issues Antetokounmpo won. I’d much rather Harden get a finals MVP like Kawhi.

6. SunsRocketsfan

Do you guys really care about these silly awards? Only one that matters is winning the chip. Everything else is just fluff.

7. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Not really, just bored this time of year. I'm much more excited to see what happens in free agency coming up. Harden losing the MVP as usual, is where I let out my frustration from us losing in the playoffs every year

SunsRocketsfan likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Families luv Disney, it is what it is, can't fight that.

dreamshakin likes this.
  9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

What is the argument for the media being the smartest? They are wildly inconsistent, extremely polarized, and undereducated on the subject matter. That actually applies to media in general, not just basketball.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

They fear the beard every playoffs.....that’s why they send the whole team at him defensively. It’s up to the role players around Harden to step up “when it counts.”

When it counts is up to interpretation: 18/19 playoffs per basketball-reference.com
    Harden: 31.6 pts...................6.6 ast............6.9 rebs (Harden did his part)
    Antetokounmpo: 25.5 pts.....4.9 ast...........12.3 rebs

#70 ApacheWarrior, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Well media isn’t a monolith so I mean yea you are gonna have your dumb ones but you will also have a good amount of smart ones as well. In general I would say the average media member knows more than the actual fan, take a look at those all star votes for example.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@SunsRocketsfan

cont’d from post #90...

From the 18/19 playoffs (knockout round)
    Harden vs GSW: .....................34.8 pts.........5.5 ast............7.0 rebs
    Antetokounmpo vs Raps: .....22.7 pts..........5.5 ast...........13.5 rebs (Did the Freak come thru “when it counted?”)

Like I said, that’s up for interpretation. Rockets declawed or softened up the Warriors for Kawhi.
    Right place
    at the right time, “when it counted” for Kawhi.

#72 ApacheWarrior, Jun 26, 2019
  13. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

I completely understand your point only to disagree with you in giving the media a pass. What you ought to realize is that these same media voters always find a way to shift the goal post when it comes to voting for Harden. It's quite obvious, the media do not like either Harden or Houston Rockets. How could you explain voting overwhelmingly for Steph Curry for winning and against Harden but voted for Westbrook for historic triple double, albeit, not winning as much as Harden. And yet voted against Harden this year, albeit, had historic feat of a season but not winning as much as giannis. I'm not mad at Giannis winning this year but why is the narrative always change each year Harden is in the MVP conversation? If you look critically in the last five MVPs, Harden could have won all five, not that I expected him to, if the criteria for voting by the media have not constantly change or should I say manipulated. MVP award is not end all be all but fair is fair. Don't keep manipulating the rule of the game when the game already started just because you do not like the player Harden or the team Rockets. I am a Rockets die-hard true and true; and I have been that for a long time. I also like Harden's exceptional talent. I will have no grime if Harden doesn't win the MVP, so long as the criteria used by each media voter remain constant. It is the flip-flop that borders me. Mark my words, the rule of engagement will change once again, if by any chance, Harden is in mist of the MVP discussion next season. Every basket ball loving fans, be it that you dislike Harden's play or disdain the Rockets as a team no matter your reasons, should be mad to the core, if the criteria keep changing amidst season just to stick it to Harden or the Rockets.

IvanLCPM and ROXTXIA like this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The season Harden won MVP, let's remember: the season started with Kawhi getting the hype. If Kawhi hadn't been injured / "injured", Harden would be the Buffalo Bills of MVP voting. Four years running, 2nd place.

15. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The only time the goal posts actually shifted was for Westbrook and that was an absolute mistake that should've never happened. People were pulled in by the stupid triple double thing and the Durant leaving thing and all the cult of personality that surrounded him. All the rational voters knew it was Harden. I agree that there are a lot of idiots out there who have done nothing to deserve votes. But if you exclude the one Westbrook anomaly it's been very consistent. The MVP always leads one of the best teams in the league. Not always number 1 but always in the mix at around top 3 or so. Look we were 4th in the west last year. We were taking Ls from some absolutely terrible teams all year. I've always believed an MVP should lead his team to wins. That's why I was absoultely livid when Westbrook won. That was James' MVP 100%. But this one makes sense. Let's not act like the goalposts change every year. They moved to the wrong place once and were moved back to the right place the year after. It just sucks that Harden was on the wrong side of both.

As a fan base we really have to stop bringing up Westbrook. Comparing Harden to Westbrook would be the ultimate case of why he shouldn't be MVP. It's like you're saying "they made a mistake against me before so they should make another one for me now." Harden this year was much much much more deserving than Westbrook ever was. Stop sullying his name with that trash.

#75 lakersuck2, Jun 26, 2019
    WestendMassive likes this.
  16. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

Perhaps, we see the narratives surrounding Harden every year differently. What do think form the opinion of the media voters, particularly, those media members that have no opinions of their own but rather move with the wave no matter where the is taking them. Your right about one thing, that is in most part, the MVP normally comes from the winiest team for the regular season that year. But if you take note in the last five seasons, the one common denominator in the MVP race is Harden who came second in all but one season for obvious reasons. Take the first year that Curry won, deservedly so, the narrative against Harden that year was that he was aloof, doesn't play both side of the ball. This narrative echo through out the air waive until the last game played by the Rockets that year. These narratives about Harden swayed most of the gutless media voters against Harden. The second year that Curry won again - - deservedly - - the narratives against Harden was not only that he lacked in defensive efforts, he doesn't make his team better and the team doesn't win enough games to supplant Curry whose team won historic 73 games. Then came the mistake you were referring - - the Westbrook phenomena. Then the obvious - - the Harden. The media could not wish Harden away. Year after year Harden became ubiquitous with his achillean performance. Then the Giannis factor. Like I said, Giannis win did nothing to upset me but only allow me to put the media voting for the league MVP into proper perspective. When I spoke about moving the goal post when the game already started, I am not talking about a seismic shift of the voting criteria. I am referring to any shift - - big or small will always distort the perception of the participants of the process. MVP voting is subjective but Harden shouldn't have to be be subjected to the yearly negative narratives in order to sway other to vote against him. No other NBA players has ever been subjected to such a scrutiny just to stop him from getting the MVP. That is wrong to Harden and to any other NBA players who are subjected to such. It is not serendipity that cause Harden to be in the wrong side of both, it is the media narratives surrounding Harden year after year and you or I doesn't have to take it lying down. This forum assure just that.

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

beadle and burke, not surprised, they take every chance they get to **** on Houston and Harden. Doris has a good image amongst fans too but I notice she's always ready to **** on Harden and the Rockets.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I agree with most of what you said here. Too many tiny local media members I've never heard of and worthless no-bball-knowledge sheep(usually from ESPN) get MVP votes. I'm honestly considering the idea that a completely numerical basis for MVP should be used like VORP or Win share or some other future advanced stat that more accurately reflects performance. The less idiots with hands in the pot the better.

The idea that I'm going against is the notion that the overarching criteria for MVP, basically the battle of wins v stats and the factor of having a bad team, changes every year to our detriment. It changed once: the Westbrook atrocity. Other than that year the criteria has been the same. The real crime against the Rockets is the lies the media spreads in order to get people to believe that Harden does not fill that criteria. So if you have a bone to pick with the media, pick that bone. Just please stop bringing up that bum Westbrook. Harden is a million times better than Westbrook. Comparing them does nothing but dirty Harden's name.

20. dischead

dischead Member

Boris Burke is a dog