1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

America's New Concentration Camp System

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, they are not locked in cells, they are free to move around the camp and have adequate food, shelter, and facilities. They aren't treated like animals.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn’t there a difference between the holding cells people are put in when initially taken into custody and longer-term detention facilities? I believe this conversation is about the latter

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Sep/CBP TEDS Policy Oct2015.pdf

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/aijustice/pages/390/attachments/original/1398797366/CBP_101.pdf?1398797366 :

#122 Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. Fantasma Negro

What’s really ****ed up is that she just voted to give herself a raise from 175k to 180k at the same time advocating that these employees, most likely minimum wage or at the most making a quarter of her income, to sacrifice their jobs. She complained about kids in cages so they bought beds now she’s complaining about the company supplying the beds. Would she rather the children sleep on the floor? I just love how this chick is always full of complaints but no solutions

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As I said, I have a limited understanding.

But I’m speaking from past experience. I have been to severals and experienced them first hand.

5. HTM

HTM Member

What kind of myopic view of refugee camps do you have? Like, dude, there are refugees camps all over the world with varying conditions based upon the resources available to them. In many cases the food is not adequate, the shelter is not adequate and the facilities are not adequate. That is not because refugee organizations/governments are trying to punish people. It is because you have government or non-government entities responding to conditions and doing their best but it won't always be enough. Try and grasp some reality.

DHS and CPB are human institutions with human failings and hopefully the most egregious of those failings are remedied as expeditiously as possible.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Semantics... call it a gulag, internment camp, timeshare, jail, or an Airbnb -- children through no fault of their own are being horribly mistreated due to direct actions by the Trump administration.

Hakeemtheking and SamFisher like this.
  7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Walls would solve this. No asylum for economic migrants would solve this. Sanctuary cities not balking at the opportunity to house these people would solve this.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Children shouldn't be mistreated.

I don't think it's impermissible to detain people crossing the border illegally though.

The alternative is literally open borders.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am still amazed I am seeing some people debating what these places are called and others suggesting that the people in charge are not bad people. And of course the full-on trump supporters wanting walls, no asylum, ending sanctuary cities, and other trump speaking points.

I can't help but think in the future people will look at at this time and wonder what happened to the United States...

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if the people in charge are bad people then they have always been bad people

https://www.freedomforimmigrants.org/detention-timeline

excerpt:

January 2017 - At the end of President’ Obama’s term, detention numbers are at a record high of over 40,000 per day and the Obama administration has deported over 3 million people, more than all presidents since 1890 combined.​

#130 Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2019
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The upsetting thing is that she didn't vote to give herself a higher raise. 5k isn't enough.

Congresspeople should be higher paid to avoid the Duncan Hunters of the universe and their grift games as well as avoiding the lobbyist revolving door when they leave. They should alt least get paid double, if not more.

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

LOL.

Who takes this woman seriously? No wonder she needed the raise.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The alternative is to have a plan in place before taking drastic actions along with not making snap decisions without considering the consequences your decision.

14. NewRoxFan

She should have worn a coat like this.... #BeBetter

[​IMG]

15. HTM

HTM Member

So what should be done with the hundreds of thousands of people illegally crossing the border? They should be free to go disseminate into the country?

16. Fantasma Negro

Paying them 300k wouldn’t stop a single member of Congress or the house from taking money from lobbyists and special interest groups. All, not just republicans, not just democrats are the same. That is greedy, power hungry attention whores, some more than others but they are all the same. Duncan Hunter used campaign funds because his wife probably checks the bank statements consistently, but news flash, all politicians running for office have miscellaneous funds, ie **** off money. Being accused of misappropriating campaign funds basically means he stepped on the wrong toes and they want him out

#136 Fantasma Negro, Jun 26, 2019
  17. NewRoxFan

So I guess there were only two options... A. letting hundreds of thousands of people illegally cross the border or B. separate children from families, still children in cold concrete floor cells with no hygiene and only older older children there to care for them and where some kids die. I am guessing you support trump choosing option B.

18. HTM

HTM Member

I support detaining those that have illegally entered the United States. I think that should be done as humanely as possible but I'm realistic and recognize the federal government is a human institution with human failings and while trying to provide for hundreds of thousands of migrants some will be let down through that system.

I guess you support open borders right?

19. NewRoxFan

Actually no... and there are not only two options. I've posted my ideas on the illegal immigration problem a number of times, but I don't have any issue with repeating them here: (1). crack down on employers hiring illegal aliens (to reduce the draw). Heck, it might even cause trump to quit hiring them. (2) hire more judges (to reduce the backlog of asylum applicants). (3) Hire more border patrol agents. (4). Increase the use of technology (eg drones, motion and heat sensors) and couple that with improved computer data analytics to better predict and respond to increased migration patterns (4). Reinforced and additional barriers where needed (whoa... even I have been calling for "barriers"). btw, much of this isn't new (Obama's DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson has spoken to these for years now). All these are doable, many have the full support of Democrat congress and would be faster and cheaper to implement than trump's ridiculous vanity wall.

One last solution that trump has already screwed... working with Mexico and other countries south of us to improve the quality of life there to lessen the number of people leaving there to come here. But not just money... shared law enforcement, shared technology and information sharing.

Again, I have posted these numerous times. And mind you, part of the challenge right now are people legally requesting asylum at points of entry.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you are holding people for multiple weeks without them having a chance to bath than you are running a concentration camp.