1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj on Sportscenter "Rockets are recruiting Jimmy Butler hard and might have a deal with him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 25, 2019.

1. xaos

xaos Member

What if is getting Butler is a long term plan to build around them 2 and get a third star the year after :eek::D

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This isn't a very smart take at all... If your 2nd best player is CP3, you chase after Butler hard 100%. Our problem is that we need offense creators down the stretch when Harden isn't hitting his shot. 2 seasons ago that was CP3. Last season was maybe Ego and almost never CP3. Butler can be that guy. Bringing in other "good" players with our salary cap situation doesn't help with that at all. I rather Morey strike out trying to get Butler rather than go for consolation prizes.

#262 chenjy9, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I wonder if for this year Morey would be ok with running 12 with 2 ways instead of going to 14? Could give more wiggle room

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't think 2-ways count towards the minimum. I might be wrong on that though.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nerlens Noel on 1 year vet min.

What did he take to play for OKC last season?

BigMaloe, Vivi, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Getting "rid" of Buzselik clears the way for a new defensive scheme,

ak99999 likes this.
  7. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Wonder if the Celtics would be down to trade Jaylen Brown for Capela and reroute him to the Sixers?

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Thanks. Was sure you would know.

Also, for vet min contracts, do they count as the 2 year vet min or their actual salary when calculating for the apron?

Thanks @BimaThug

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Unless its a second round pick, any (one-year) vet minimum contract would count at the two-year vet minimum salary (estimated to be around $1.62 million) for luxury tax and apron purposes. (Non-second round pick) rookies and one-year vets get their salaries "grossed up" for these calculations. Hence, Hartenstein (and possibly Edwards) would count slightly less against the tax/apron than anyone else.

BigMaloe, Vivi, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.
  10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

11. jsilencio

jsilencio Member

Jimmy probably just wants to come here so he can wear that mustard and ketchup next year.

Tfor3 and Kornel87 like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are not going to suddenly start playing all man defense. Their roster is constructed where that wouldn’t do well. The Rockets will still switch and likely switch often. This is a veteran team... they are not going to all of a sudden make a drastic change.

13. jacoby

jacoby Member

If that were the case we should trade Capela for Brown straight up.

Possum and tc0330 like this.
  14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

im so down for this. been down. i think boston values brown way higher than us/should be.

15. finsraider

finsraider Member

Great. Yes, that seems right.

1) 38.5 CP3
    2) 38.2 Harden
    3) 32.7 Butler
    4) 8.3 PJ
    5) 1.6 vet min
    6) 1.6 vet min
    7) 1.6 vet min
    8) 1.6 vet min
    9) 1.6 vet min
    10) 1.6 vet min
    11) 1.6 vet min
    12) 1.6 vet min
    13) 1.6 Gary Clark
    14) 1.4 Hartenstein
    0.1 Troy Williams Dead Cap

$133.6, or $5.4 under the apron, give or take.

Morey might be comfortable using some of that, but my guess is he would want at least one minimum open for the buyout market.

I am starting to get a 2016 free agency vib, so I'm wondering if the Rockets do complete a trade for Butler if they will go into hibernation mode until everyone has spent their free agency dollars.

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Woj: “The Rockets are confident”

NBA Twitter: “I don’t see it happening, Morey doesn’t realize how tough it is to make happen.”

The idea that Nate MF Duncan knows something that Daryl Morey hasn’t already considered is laughable!

It may not happen, but don’t question this FO ability to figure **** out!

D-rock, jsilencio and Sajan like this.
  17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

This is the most critical thing and I am sure Jimmy is not going to be blind to this. There is no way he wants to come to a team with 4 players. I would sell him on the 5 yr max plus opt in and rely on Harden, CP3, and reassurance from that dumbass TF every week he is here that he is getting the 5 yr max. Promise to say it publicly at his introductory press conference and that you wanted him here to be able to retire in his hometown. Rockets are desperate and no time to go small. As part of the opt in I would work with Boston to send Philly Horford. I would try to use Shumpert and our assets dumped to Boston. Ainge wants to sign DLo and buy another year of rebuilding around the youth. He will be able to make many other trades.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Neymar is a notorious bich though.

19. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Lol. Nice. Come home Jimmy. Come home.

20. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The amount of bandwidth that has been destroyed :eek: