1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj on Sportscenter "Rockets are recruiting Jimmy Butler hard and might have a deal with him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 25, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It would definitely be dangerous. We would be extremely tight against the apron. Basically could use the MLE and then rest of roster would be minimum contracts. One guy gets injured and season is basically over. Couldn't add ANYONE in season. No trades unless you are dealing Harden or Butler basically. No buyouts.

Morey is a gambler.

I get it, it's a lot of top end talent, but we would definitely NOT be the favorites in my mind and we'd have huge combustibility issues.

J Sizzle likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

who would b the favorites?, Lakers?Raptors?

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Yes, that's the best case for the Rockets, but it's a long shot for Butler to agree to delaying a long-term deal for one year assuming the Rockets will wink wink max him. Even if he's confident that will happen, it's really tough to turn down that big guaranteed contract. I think CP3 was in a little different situation because he was a little older and already made big money. If Butler agrees to this, he should become an immediate fan favorite.

slothy420, luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd love to see Jimmy Butler in a Rockets jersey.

But I do have a question for those who seem to think Harden will magically make another big look great if we lose Capela. WHO HAS HE DONE THAT FOR?

I'm scratching my head here. Hartenstein didn't look great. Faried wasn't playable in the playoffs. He surely didn't raise Marquese Chriss's level of play. He couldn't make Tarik Black look good or Chinanu Onuaku or Zhou Qi. Hell, Dwight didn't even look better next to Harden as opposed to the teams he was on before or after the Rockets. So tell me again how we're going to easily replace Capela.

biff17, jcmoon, luckyman76 and 4 others like this.
  5. justtxyank

I probably wouldn't do this deal if we have to dump both Gordon and Capela, get hard capped, etc. Butler would need to take a discount to give Morey room.

treyk3 likes this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

So Burt Steele meant Tuesday 5:45 in 2019.

7. justtxyank

Would have to see the final rosters. Let me be clear, we might be the favorites on betting lines but I personally wouldn't see us that way. Don't think a team of 2 great perimeter players + 1 good PG + a bunch of minimum guys can win the title.

HP3 likes this.
  8. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

It is time...
    [​IMG]

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

this is not going to happen, but even if it did, the rockets would not be a championship caliber team I'm sorry.

harden, butler, and an old cp3 is not going to get it done...... is butler supposed to be so much better than EGo, Clint combined that it puts us over the top ? im sorry but as thin as the supporting cast would be i just dont see it.

lakers have added AD and will likely get another really good piece.
    jazz added mike conley
    blazers have added bazemore

i also dont like the fact they fired MDAs coaching staff. if they were going to keep him, they should have let him keep his people. its unnecessary to have to go through the process of building a good staff, camaraderie with themselves and the players, and basically having letting MDA know he will be fired early if the rockets dont have a good start despite having to deal with staff and possible big roster turnover.

the window is closed even if this move happens.

10. justtxyank

Capela is extremely underrated here because of one bad matchup.

biff17, Vivi, luckyman76 and 5 others like this.
  11. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Hard cap? In Maurree we trust

#212 BHannes2BHonest, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  12. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Woj and Danny Ainge in Houston

13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

To be fair we can afford injuries during the regular season as long as it’s not Harden. He’s proven he can carry a team of scrubs into the post season. But yeah we would HAVE to be fully healthy in the playoffs.

Also why can’t we sign buyouts? Can’t we add any minimums we want?

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Dude made Joey Dorsey a legit starter for 50% of a season where we won 56 games or something. And Black was a legit backup that year too because of Harden.

Using Chriss and Zhou and Onuaku as examples is absurd.

I’m not saying Capela is not important; he’s not replaceable, I agree. But Harden can easily make a McGee have a career year

SWTsig and joshuaao like this.
  15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Id try to split the NT MLE between Jordan and another wing. BAE a wing. Non bird Rivers. and offer a 3-4 million dollar deal to shump to serve as a trade piece. FIll the rest with young vet mins and it should take you right to the apron

16. ak99999

ak99999 Member

And he will never learn to shoot 2s or 3s.

17. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Would love to do opt in and trade. But these reports make it seem like that is not being discussed currently. That scenario is for SNT

D-rock likes this.
  18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hard cap?

CBA FAQ:

A hard cap cannot be exceeded for any reason.

If a team is hard-capped, it cannot exceed the Apron under any circumstance. If the team subsequently needs to sign a player (for example, to replace injured players) it must first create room under the Apron by waiving player(s) with non-guaranteed salary, waiving player(s) with guaranteed salary and utilizing the stretch provision, trading downward in salary, etc. A team that is hard-capped can sign players to non-guaranteed contracts for training camp or the regular season, but must rid themselves of such players before their salary would take the team above the Apron. A team subject to the hard cap can also sign players to Rest-of-Season contracts during the season, as long as the salary pro-ration keeps the team below the Apron.

If a team acquires a player in a sign-and-trade, then the Apron effectively becomes a hard cap for the remainder of that season. See question number 20 for details.