1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith - “Chris Paul wants out”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheSource, Jun 14, 2019.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Ok, Mr. #runitback. Gary Clark, seriously? Wilt Chamberlain? seriously? How about Less dribble, dribble dribble?? More cut, pass, pass, that way you don't always have to live or die with guys making 1v1 iso plays??

cheke64 likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Also...

If Pelicans are holding this deal until 7-30 (seems possible) then the Lakers could easily deal for CP3 first.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about the number 1 ranked offense in NBA history? 2018
    How about the 28th best defense in the NBA? 2019

How about we keep our insane offense, and fix the obvious problems we actually do have?

James Harden is absolutely guard Wilt Chamberlain. Like it or not, it's in the pudding. Give him the ball until his efficiency drops. If it doesn't, ride him, but go get him some Pascal Siakams/Kyle Lowrys/Fred Van Fleets/Serge Ibakas/Marc Gasols...

Coco Afable and BMoney like this.
  4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Or maybe, instead of arguing with your strawman, you could address the question. Does Harden rest when he's off the ball? I've seen lots of it on video. What are the consequences of that?

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I got confused by all those down screens for Gordon and Green.

6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Of course he rests...I hate it but...the man does everything else for this team.

7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

ofcourse he wants out, he sees the silver lining.

Lakers just got AD and they are in desperate need of a point guard. CP3 probably salivating to play with Lebron and AD.

It's ridiculous that Lakers can be so mismanaged for 6 years straight and suck balls, be rewarded with lottery pick after lottery pick and still get 3 all-stars on the same team this summer.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Coaching for idiots.

You don't run an offensive system counterintuitive to your best player. See Rudy Tomjanovich, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, etc. See how Pop is coaching the Spurs with Lamarcus Aldridge? Our team is based around James Harden 100%, exactly as it should be, and we have been VERY close to winning a championship with that style.

BMoney likes this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

All what downscreens?

Yeah you must be confused because they happen maybe once a possession and that's not every set.

I bet you thought this was clever.LOL

The only player that moves a majority of the time is Capella and the person screening for the switch.

We minimally have guys coming off of screens for a shot and it's usually at the beginning of the shot clock and it's seldom for Harden and Paul.

What point were you trying to make here?

BMoney likes this.
  10. jowman

jowman Member

Yup agreed

11. biff17

biff17 Member

Does Paul and Tucker rest off the ball because if you watch those same videos they are standing around when Harden has the ball.

what are the consequences of them standing around?

BMoney likes this.
  12. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Based on your top 3 players were injured. You really believe a G leaguer and two players picked off waivers running the Princeton offense was a better option than arguably the best offensive player in the game? Seriously answer that for me.

RudyTBag and BMoney like this.
  13. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

False...

Easily good enough offense to win a ring.

The defense however, is not.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

We were not close to winning a championship this year. We were closer last year, but still saying we were very close is only true in hypotheticals. Advocating for more movement doesn’t mean not relying on James. Obviously we have to do that. It just means scoring (or trying to score) in other ways that involve movement. Pop doesn’t run anywhere close to 100% iso with Aldridge. He did incorporate it though. The Phil Jackson laker teams were iso heavy. But there was still more to the triangle than what the rockets currently run....I’m certain that if James ever bought in, some changes could be made for the better, but I don’t think he will...and as a result our top guys will become unhappy because they don’t want to come here and stand in the corner for every possession.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Harden "resting" 35 feet out while clocking galactic usage/efficiency is also one of 3-4 the best plan B/escape hatches on the planet.

They have to account for him out there.

Listen up folks:

b****ing at Harden for not playing like Klay or Steph is a mugs game. Why let the Warriors now- finished dynasty win again? The Raptors just closed their **** down (and I didn't exactly see Fred Van Vleet or Kyle Lowry running a ton of jimmy driftwood picket fence action while doing it) .... forget about them and stop eating our own.

#295 SamFisher, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOLMAOROFLOCOPTER

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We were closer than 24 other teams.

I agree with you when it comes to tinkering with the offense to make it more dynamic, but most people on this board want to throw away what got us here. The combination of Morey/D'Antoni/Harden has made us one of the most feared offenses in NBA history. For ONE season we have seen that offense combined with a intelligent, elite defense.

In my opinion, every acquisition needs to target defense above all else. Coaching, Personnel, Trainers, etc. We need to get back to a top 5 defense at all costs, and then tinker with the offense after we see what our personnel can handle. A team with CP3 and James Harden is going to find the flaws in a defense. It doesn't matter what you do. A great defense will buy those guys time to eventually figure out the chess match in a long playoff battle, like they did in 2018.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Again, he carries the team and plays so many minutes. He also plays better D now than in the past. Of course he’ll loaf off the ball.

I don’t exactly entirely blame him for the failing.

beard4life likes this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Are we reading it wrong?

Perhaps Chris wants out of the contract?

Maybe he finally understands that it is pretty hard to upgrade this team with that albatross contract of his team handicapping it, and wants to make a personal sacrifice for the sake of the team?

Blurr#7 likes this.
  20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

ok. You’re right. That stretch of time where guys were hurt and he “had to”. I get that. But from that point forward after guys got back it’s almost like he (or the rockets) relied too much on it. I think some of the important reg. Season choke jobs were a direct result of that.