1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Fantasma Negro

You're 100% correct and its ****ing disgusting

macho GRANDE and mikol13 like this.
  2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I have a feeling this move has more to do with Gaine getting along in the office with everyone rather than football related... But we will probably never know what really happened.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ray Farmer = Jimmy Raye III

Brian Gaine (hired)
    Brian Gutekunst (took Packers job)
    Jimmy Raye III
    Will McClay (Could be wrong but don't think he ever actually interviewed?)

Denied: Joe Douglas, Nick Caserio, Monti Ossenfort

Nook likes this.
  4. body slam

body slam Member

So who is the interim GM until someone is hired?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Capologist Chris Olsen

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

wtf? I can't think of an organization that has made more wrong decisions than the Browns prior to the last two years. This guys was part of those other failed Browns regimes.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

too bad. there are plenty of great candidates of color. it shouldn't just be a token.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah McClay declined to interview

Nook likes this.
  9. Fantasma Negro

Its a Rooney rule interview. Farmer is not a serious candidate. They're getting him out the way so the can hire Caserio

UTSA2step and justtxyank like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

If they're going to have the Rooney Rule, I wish they'd use it like it was intended: to interview serious candidates and to give younger execs experience in the interviewing process, help get their name out there for the next opening, etc...

Fyreball and Fantasma Negro like this.
  11. Raven

Raven Member

The Texans had one job this off season, get protection for Watson, and they failed miserably. Let a head roll down the steps. Good!

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

That was the number one goal and they seemed to miss it. It was a very underwhelming draft and free agency was unremarkable. I doubt the Texan's improved much at all, especially where they needed help the most. If I am running the show, that's not going to get it.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It really is... probably the same way they looking at Trent Williams lets act like we are interested. Let's act like we are interested in paying Clowney. Oh yeah JJ Watt got married he's the perfect guy and soooo Texans worthy.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It almost feels like Gaine was paralyzed with indecision. I think he must have had a long-term vision for the team, but not anything that lined up with a QB that had a very limited window before he got very expensive. It's very different being GM for a team that's in rebuild mode vs. being a war-time GM that needs to know how to take calculated but aggressive risks.

15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

An interesting take I heard on 610 today... that Brian Gaine May have had “wondering eyes” and had possibly reached out to the jets about their vacant GM position before they hired Douglas. With Gaine being a New York guy this is certainly plausible and word may have gotten back to Cal McNair and if that is the case I don’t blame him for firing Gaine... pure speculation as of now but definitely makes sense. Whoever they do hire I seriously hope they make the move for Trent Williams. He could take one of the weakest O-lines in the league to another level and give deshaun the blind side protection he needs and definitely help the young guys develop. I’m excited to see what happens next. This GM decision will have a HUGE impact on the direction on this organizations success moving forward. Regardless of the reason, I applaud Cal McNair for making an unconventional move in an effort to improve the team. I hope it works out.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

So what happens if his draft picks perform beyond our expectations? If Tytus Howard gets offensive rookie of the year votes, Lonnie Johnson has a Marcus Peters like rookie year. And Warring has 600 reception yards. Will they apologize and hire him back?

I really don't think this firing was about the decision-making because we didn't have time to assess if those decisions were good or not. I mean, I didn't like the draft and the FA inactivity but it looked like he had a plan and was going to stick to it by all means. He didn't have enough time to really assess if he was right and we were all wrong.

Nook likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

BoB has another built-in excuse now for 2019 so that he can keep his job for 2020 no matter what happens.

mikol13, Nook and justtxyank like this.
  18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You would think at some point he would have to shoulder some blame for the teams failures.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don’t think they would, no.

raining threes likes this.
  20. raining threes

This is likely

And officially when I will be done with the Texans.

macho GRANDE and Nook like this.