1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets fire Jeff Bzdelik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, May 18, 2019.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The Rockets should just go all in and not hire a defensive coordinator.........but hire Steve Francis as the offensive/ISO coordinator.

daywalker02 and RyanB like this.
  2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Eh, they handled the Melo situation very tacky. I till this day think we should've kept Melo & given him time to implement himself. I believe that whole situation had MDA & JB's finger prints all over it. It was petty & unnecessary. Melo was NOT the reason we sucked early in the season

smp likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

great let's put the ball in clint's hands and make him feel useful then

4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

So basically fire MDA, potentially piss off your superstar, and roll the dice by bringing in a unknown coach hoping he's Brad Stephens? Sounds pretty silly. Our team is too old to hire someone outta college. Ty Lue sucks

Remlap and Sajan like this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm not gonna sit here and proclaim the best guy for the job... I havent studied every coach enough to know the best guy to fill the role - but I have studied MDA long enough to know he's fool's gold...

I know you just want me to name names so you can poo poo whoever I say and cite their shortcomings in comparison to MDA... so here's a couple retreads for you...

I'd be good with Adelman.... he holds guys accountable... demands focus and effort... great x's and O's... mindful of both ends of the court...

Heck at this point you may as well go with JVG.... the offense is all preordained and James and CP3 are gonna run it how they see fit... may as well get somebody in who is defensive minded to focus on the other end of the floor... plus he's the kind of guy that demands respect and is likable - but isnt just gonna be a doormat for our superstars and be afraid to address issues...

[​IMG]

#165 kjayp, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    daywalker02, RocketsFan247 and sammy like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm sure a lot goes into it, but I'm willing to bet that had he committed to a two year deal when he came back the Rockets would have done it.

However, his quitting when he did should have opened the Rockets eyes to how old he and Dantoni are. Either of these guys could up and quit at any time.

Additionally, there's no question the switching scheme was effective but probably needs to be changed.

I have a hunch that they want to get a young guy in here that may be the next coach. Wouldn't shock me if they pursued Stephen Silas again.

Edit: Dang, didn't realize Silas was under contract with the Mavs.

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Duh.

Jeff said point blank he wouldn't coach the team anymore if we brought Melo in and we brought Melo in anyways. Jeff was a man of his word and quit right after. It took the Rockets so long to 'officially' sign Melo, when we finally did and Jeff quit the Rockets had little time to fill Jeffs role. The Rockets weren't prepared to fill Jeffs role even though they should have been. That was shotty management on the Rockets part, it's like they tried to call Jeff's bluff when he wasn't bluffing because he gave them more than a headsup notice. The Season began, our defense sucked, our assistant coach sucked, Melo wasn't doing well and so to shore up our shotty coaching quickly with someone whom already knew our system and had successfully been tested in our system the Rockets chose to re-sign Jeff Bzdelik which meant sacrificing Melo to do so... ya know, since Jeff Bzdelick refused to coach a team with Melo on it.

MDA on the other hand acted like he was totally cool with Melo even though we all knew he wasn't.. and that lack of transparency was not cool of MDA.

Call it petty if you want but Jeff has a grudge against Melo. Jeff fully acknowledged he did and Jeff admitted it wouldn't be fair to Melo if Melo's on a team he is coaching. When the Rockets signed Melo Jeff quit, no secrets there.

#167 Realjad, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    kjayp likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

As I mentioned... MDA is fools gold... he's stubborn and plays guys based on his comfort level rather than playing the best option...

of course, you already know that..

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I'm not sure who his replacement should be, but he's supposed to be their defensive coach and it was their defense that failed them in the playoffs so...

10. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Ty Lue sucks, but he has coached a team that actually beat the warriors. James needs to figure out how to win with a coach that sucks like Lebron did. At some point, repeatedly losing to the warriors is on James or MDA.

11. dwhite

dwhite Member

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

This means we're bringing Melo back!

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sad.

The most integral part of this team after some of the players.

Defense is king and this guy kept our defense intact.

Hakeemtheking and ISOBall like this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Just like last off-season?

cheke64 likes this.
  15. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Scapegoat starts

16. Remlap

Remlap Member

Sounds like he was waffling on next season.
    People seem to forget that he walked on us just before least season.
    That put us in a bind. (I think it had to do with the whole Melo thing as Bzdelik was Melo's have a history from DEN)

But if he's waffling again, do we wait until the last minute to see if he stays
    or do you become pro-active and decide not to have to be in that situation again?
    Better to cut bait and start your search early while other options are still available

mikol13 likes this.
  17. PatBev

PatBev Member

“I know what we need to do” - Harden

That quote popped in my head as soon as I saw the b/r notification and I laughed my ass off

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Or just like last year with Melo, this year he heard about Kevin Love, and was like...

[​IMG]

Players like Melo and Love are trash on defense and will your entire defensive scheme down.

If Rockets are indeed getting Love, he would be smart to bolt.

Realjad likes this.
  19. deshen

deshen Member

I am curious who will be the next defensive coach.

20. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

We have no hope next season.