1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant Injury

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, May 8, 2019.

1. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

I understand why but so many negative opinions, we got this. Don’t stop believing.

CP3 goes down game 5 last year and we lose the last two games. We were up 3-2.

Durant goes down game 5 this year and we have an opportunity to do to the worriors what they did to us last year. Keep the faith, fam.

2. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

Definitely. However, the Warriors are champions and have the mental fortitude and instinct. We haven’t seen that from the Rockets. This is their chance. 0 excuses.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

If the Rockets can't win 2 games with Kevin freaking durant out, then they don't deserve to go to the next round.

It's that simple. You have been gifted an injury like they had the past 5 years...TAKE ADVANTAGE!

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

for sure. frustration is naturally at a extreme level based on the wasted opportunity last night. understandable. I'm still pissed this morning but its not over and the chance to win the series is still there. But with 0 excuses if they can't beat a kd less GS team.

thedreamsteam and PeterKingX like this.
  5. ktex

ktex Member

Honestly, CP3 and Capella are both awful for whatever reason. Given that, they still have significantly more firepower than we do despite the loss of Durant.

6. Mr. Space City

If the Rockets can’t win the next game with Kawhi freaking Leonard and Tony Parker out, then they don’t deserve to go to the next round. ;)

Sajan, arabrocket, Supamanu and 3 others like this.
  7. smp

smp Member

Yep. They are back to their original core. They even have Bogut back. This isn’t advantage Houston all of the sudden. Now it’s just smaller advantage GS instead of giant advantage GS.

hakeem94 and J Sizzle like this.
  8. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

This. Spot on. This is the reason why the NBA had their 2011 lockout; it wasn't just about a revenue split between owners and players. The main issue is that owners wanted an NFL-style hard cap to prevent super teams from being created after LeBron and Bosh joined Wade in Miami. I actually like the deal, because star players are dispersed around the league, increases parity, increases the number of title contenders, and don't have to worry about bloated contracts for "lesser" players (*cough* Ryan Anderson *cough*).

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Concussion confirmed! This time to both stars and Capela.

hakeem94 and Mr. Space City like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Part of the reason there might be so many negative opinions is because we constantly say statements like this, then mostly nothing happens... So when you, we or the world says "0 excuses if they can't beat a kd less GS team"... ok? What's going to happen if (when...? sorry to be the party pooper, but odds are still in GSW favor, imo, they are STILL the more talented team - though not quite as deep) the Rockets lose? Will heads roll? Will DM really change it up? Unlikely... will just be at a similar spot next year.

Literally the only thing that gives me any hope is that all major HOU championships kind of had this feel to it. From the birth of Clutch City, to kiss of death, the Nick Anderson missed FTs, or Astros being down 3-2 to the Yankees. Stuff doesn't come easy here. There's no 4 rings in 7 year, might not win every year but generally a dynasty type stories here.

But that's just randomness, honestly. If I'm still looking at just the facts as they are:
    * CP3 is old. Just is. BUT old or not, last night was REALLY bad. I don't think that can be underestimated. It was James Harden level bad playoff game bad.
    * MDA is basically HORRIBLE at deep playoff strategy and rotations. For some reason with 2 fouls in the first quarter he puts Capela back in the game? He's bad at sensing shifts in momentum. And obviously there was no thought as to how to adjust gameplan for a KD less team in the 4th.
    * GSW still have HCA, and forget about the Clippers, it's VERY hard to win in Oracle. What are the Rockets now, 1-13 over the last 5 years there in the playoffs.
    * Capela is so far out of a comfort zone it's hilarious. At least if we lose he won't be getting any of those bonuses. Missed the FT bonus and proceeded get worse at that in the playoffs. Won't get a WCF bonus if they lose. I don't think KD going down changes this. Clint will still be on skates so to speak on the perimeter.
    * VERY SMALL SAMPLE SIZE... but for those of us who believed as amazing as KD is, his style was increasingly becoming old KD style and hampering what was the ball movement offense of the Warriors, well last night showed that. I think Curry, Klay and Dray are all better without KD. I know that's crazy, but it's what I think. Same with Boogie. The only caveat here is that they signed both those guys, and used up cap space, and so their depth is hampered. But had they replaced Harrison Barnes with some other random solid SF, beefed up their bench, I think we'd be in the exact same position - GSW as back to back champions going for a three peat.

* The positives: Can EG, CP3 and Capela all play so so so horribly in the same game again? GSW is very low on depth. Game 6 is at home. Sooner or later the Rockets might break through.

BruceAndre, gotsis, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We are still underdog even without Durant.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I find that hard to believe. Without Durant, I feel we are evenly matched. The Warriors bench sucks. We just need to focus on stopping Klay and Curry and let Green and Iguodala beat us.

This would look like a potentially better outcome for Houston if CP3 was playing well. Plus, it is an elimination and Harden does have a reputation as well. I guess we will see how things turn out.

IslandB.O.I. and hakeem94 like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

i actually think in the case of them not pulling this off, changes will be made. what those are who knows but morey to me is smart enough to realize this will be as good of a chance as any with this team. if not now, its not happening in the future with this team. But I really don't want to get into offseason talk as I still think they'll get to game 7 and move on.

but i get what you posted without a doubt

14. vick

vick Member

Game 6, the Rockets are 7 point favorite's.

hakeem94, dcfma and Mike Breen like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... I can't help but be attracted to off-season talk as its basically been the "positive" part of the season many of the last few years. Obviously that's hyperbole, as GSW dynasty aside, the seasons have gone well, but you get the idea. Every year it's the how do we get over the hump and "wow, we got such and such" part of the season. Except last year, where people were deluding themselves into believing those scraps were positive moves.

But bear in mind, I'm a dude that mostly sided with @Asian Sensation on his now infamous thread, I believe I have a $100 tip jar bet form 2 years ago about the Rockets winning a ring in the next 4 years (one I want to be on the losing side of), and strongly pushed for a Harden-Giannis swap 18 months ago.

Have no desire to be "proven right", but my frustration is that the inevitable may frankly, just be inevitable.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

it opened at 5 and its continuing to climb

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

8 point favorites in vegas for game 6

hakeem94 and dcfma like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

im just as frustrated as you are believe me. when it's officially over, I'm more than happy to address things that may need to happen in the offseason and what not. But lets just hope this ride isn't ending too soon.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yikes. That's actually a lot.

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

This plain and simple