1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank you!

desihooper and Htown Legend like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I fully expect one of these pitchers to be an Astro by August 1:

Greinke
    Ray
    Bumgarner
    Archer
    Stroman

Peacock being in the rotation would mean they’d have 3 spots locked up for next year (Whitley, Peacock, McCullers). A 4th spot should be left open for the glut of other high ceiling arms who should be ready by then (James, Martin, Bukauskas, Bielak, etc.), but they will need a proven veteran and I expect them to go ahead and acquire him this year.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I missed the reference that MLBtraderumors broke the "story". I don't see how that is news. Astros only make deals that are worth it to them. If both Verlander and Cole agree to extensions that Astros offer, Astros will do it. Astros have been better than I expected at getting extensions done. If they can get one extension between those two, it would be great. Both would be better.

Between Diaz, White, Kemp, Tucker, Alvarez, and Whitley, Astros have plenty of club controlled talent that should help offset some more expensive contracts even if not all of those end up being decent players.

Edit: P.S. I love the Athletic. Best current source for baseball writing (R.I.P. Fangraphs). Jake Kaplan is killing it on covering the Astros. Rosenthal has the best national sources. Recently got Keri added to their roster (His recent trade value series feels like the one Dave Cameron did for Fangraphs before he went to the Padres, though without the projections). Sarris talks about beer and baseball.

#4183 Joe Joe, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    desihooper likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's fine... but that's exactly what I said... you do miss them.

It isn't a crusade... just pointing out the obvious. Just like I'm sure you're not crusading to let everybody know you long for those days.

5. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Suuuuper stoked for the season!!! It's going to be a dogfight this year. How about that A's rotation? What's going on there lol Will Ramon Laureano always make me a little sad inside?

How many bases do y'all think Jose will steal this year? Over/under 25? Will he slow down coming off his knee injury? I hope not. FYI he stole 56 bags in 2014!! Then 38, 30, 32 and 17 last year (injured).

Michael Brantley is going to be fascinating. Love the pick up. Where will he bat? Can he stay healthy? How will he look in Astros threads? I have such a hard image of him in an Indians uniform.

When will Kyle Tucker get called up? If Tyler White struggles is it a quick hook, Brantley to DH and then Tucker gets an extended look?

McHuch/Peockock/Miley - Hmm???. I can see Josh James, Forrest Whitley, and Zach Greinke replacing them by end of season.

Nook likes this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Looks like Sale is going to sign a 5 year 150 million dollar extension. My guess is that is what Boras will be looking to get Cole

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He may be looking to get that, but he won't.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Astros should jump on that if it will get it done

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would be surprised if the Astros kept one of Verlander and Cole. I would be totally shocked if they kept both.

Currently we have 184 million dollar payroll that counts towards luxury tax. Before the Pressly and Bregman extensions the Astros had 69 million in cap room with their free agents leaving after 2019. The raises in AAV for Bregman and bringing back Pressly eat up about 28 million of that cap room for 2020. If Verlander and Cole combined cost the Astros 56 million a year that would put the payroll right around 200 million. That doesn't include the arbitration raises for Springer, Osuna, Correa, McCullers, Peacock, Diaz, Stassi, etc and a team option of 2.6 million for Devenski. That could put the payroll close to 220 million. Plus, you still have to fill the holes with Chirinos, Rondon, McHugh, Miley, and Will Harris leaving.

The Astros would probably have to dump 3 of Reddick, Gurriel, Springer, or Brantley to make it somewhat possible to keep both Verlander and Cole.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What has Cole done to warrant $30,000,000/year?

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Reddick replaced hopefully by Tucker is the most likely gone. Yuli then the next replaced by White or Alvarez. You have to keep the young cheap talent coming up to make this work financially. Lots of young cheap arms like Whitley, James, etc as well.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Reddick is under contract for 13 million in 2020. Yuli is also under contract for 2020 and his AAV is 10.4 million. Unless they both have big years I doubt the Astros can get rid of them without either eating some salary and/or giving up prospects with them. Springer could be looking at a 20 million dollar salary if he has a big year. Most likely it will be somewhere between 15-18 million.

Correa is also a wild card. If he has an MVP like season his 5 million dollar salary could jump close to 15 million for 2020.

I hope they keep Verlander. I doubt Cole will sign an extension.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

#4195 Joshfast, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    AB423, Smacktle, JeeberD and 3 others like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

It moved.

biff17 likes this.
  17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

18. Buck Turgidson

There was so, so much b!tching and moaning about him early in his ownership. He laid out his plan back then and has done everything he said he was going to do.

Best sports owner in Houston history.

19. Nook

Nook Member

That’s a lot of money per year, but we had to sign either Verlander or Cole. Were set for the next 3 years.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t think it is a coincidence that he played the sport. He understands the game and relates to the players.

He has been fantastic. He has hired the right people and done everything first class.