1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Spring Training 2019

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 14, 2019.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Maybe me and just a few others are the only ones that give a **** about watching these games

To each their own I suppose

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm all for watching highlights of certain younger guys (Tucker, Alvarez)... but I really couldn't care less about what Verlander, Cole, Springer, Altuve, or Bregman do out there (good or bad).

I was more into ST at the start of the rebuild, when there were a whole lotta what-ifs... but now that the core is complete, I just want them to get through it healthy.

3. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I record all spring training games and haven't watched one yet. Wont watch till they are for reals.

4. Buck Turgidson

You know your team is good when the only thing the fans can fight about on the internet is the lack of free ST game on the telly.

eta: and frankly, you should have been getting your fix this weekend watching #1 LSU @ #16 Texas (the Longhorn Network is awesome for baseball season, and hoops replays the day after, and re-watching the Rose Bowl every week if you really want to, and not much else). We swept those coonasses.

eta: watch out for Cole Henry, Freshman RHP for LSU. 6'4" and lanky, came out of the pen today in the 5th, he has some serious ****.

eta3: If any of yall remember Ben McDonald #1 pick from LSU...he is a fantastic color guy and would make one hell of a something coach. He's been in the booth along with the Longhorn guys (Swindell and Moreland, Longhorn Legends) all weekend.

#224 Buck Turgidson, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Snake Diggit and raining threes like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Before it even begins. Spring training means nothing. Small samples mean nothing. None of this means anything.

Great. Now that we got that out of the way, anyone got comments about these guys?

Having a good spring:

Gurriel-- .545
    Dawson .462
    Alvarez .400
    Reddick .400
    Kemp .400
    Straw .389
    Tanielu .375
    Chirinos .364
    Tucker .333
    Toro .333
    Springer .333
    Correa .308
    White .308
    Fisher .286
    Brantley .273
    Stubbs .273
    Mayfield .267

...not so much.

Stassi .214
    Rojas .154
    Reed .143
    De Goti .133
    Díaz .077

http://www.espn.com/mlb/springStats/_/team/hou

#226 jim1961, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Jeremy Williams

You can add Altuve and his .222 to the list. Finally got his first 2 knocks today.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9 AB minimum

Didnt mention the others (FYI).

9. right1

right1 Member

I considered Armenteros to be a better prospect than Framber prior to spring training. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him win the 5th starter role which would allow Peacock to stay in long relief.

10. Buck Turgidson

If Framber could ever throw strikes consistently he'd be deadly, his stuff is that good, but until then you can't use him out of the pen.

Nook and The Beard like this.
  11. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I noticed the lack of extra base hits, the team is slugging .406 which is 23rd. Some guys seems to be taking a bunch of pitches in the games I've caught. It early and we have nothing else to worry about but you asked.

Two guys jump out at me on that list.

Díaz .077 would they option him if he stays below .200
    Reed .143 he needs to show something

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Spring training can be relevant as a tiebreaker for guys who came into camp competing for an open spot. Otherwise they are meaningless. Diaz will not be optioned unless Houston determines they cannot begin the season with only 12 pitchers (and they don’t want to risk losing White or Kemp to waivers). And even in that scenario his spring numbers won’t make a difference.

Reed is going to AAA regardless of what he hits.

Only things worth monitoring this spring (other than health) is the performance of the young pitchers competing for the rotation and open bullpen spots: Framber, Cionel, James, Deetz, Rodgers, Armenteros, Guduan. One guy who might pitch himself into a demotion over the spring is Devenski.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

5 big bats that might help Houston at the deadline:
    Brandon Belt
    Jose Abreu
    Nicholas Castellanos
    Justin Smoak
    Edwin Encarnacion

5 SP:
    Zack Greinke
    Robbie Ray
    Madison Bumgarner
    Marcus Stroman
    Michael Fulmer

5 RP:
    Will Smith
    Mychal Givens
    Kelvin Herrera
    Mark Melancon
    Tony Watson

5 catchers:
    Buster Posey
    Salvador Perez
    Welington Castillo
    Yasmani Grandal
    Alex Avila

Nook and HTown2017Champs like this.
  14. awc713

awc713 Member

Perez is out for the season with TJ surgery.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. astros123

astros123 Member

bregman breaks down his homerun from the game. Pretty interesting to watch if you love baseball. How can you not love bregman? Look at the comments he gets in his videos and you'll see why he'll be worth more then any other Astros player. Bringing casual fans from other sports back into baseball and soccer moms into watching the astros lol.

#235 astros123, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Weird that several players aren’t on the roster (White, Kemp, Fisher, Reed).

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Also, interesting that they optioned Martes. That means he will not accrue service time while injured. I didn’t think injured players could be optioned. McCullers has options remaining, so I wonder if he could be optioned to gain another year of control? I guess one downside to that is you cannot free up a 40 man spot by utilizing the 60 Day DL.

19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros are NOT risking Kemp and White. They have made their mark on this team with last season's performance. This mindset that those two could be on a bubble is way off base. Lunhow has made it very clear they like them very much.

Of course Reed goes to AAA. That was a foregone conclusion unless there was a rash of injuries with 1B/DH and he killed it in ST. He needs to hit for his trade value and confidence. He's turn 26 in May, clock is ticking.

Devo is an enigma. To be so dominating for a stint then it looks like he lost everything. I could see he falling out of favor but still to early with not even 2 innings of work.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Martes got hurt while he was in AAA, McCullers got hurt on the MLB club.