1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump to declare national emergency to build border wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RESINator, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think politics is hilarious. The Greatest Show on Earth. so yes, in a way, I'm happy. Although fascinated is probably a more accurate word.

Roc Paint likes this.
  2. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I thought that the Donald's election threatened the republic was an overstatement by hysterical liberals.

...you see something like this happen (and really, we all knew―or should have known―that it would)...

...spite for spite's sake, in essence...

...and I really can't wait to see what the Donald does for an encore.

"National Emergency" doesn't do this charade any justice at all, in my opinion...

RayRay10 and Harrisment like this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

That there will be less funds for emergencies and military use.So he can get a wall.

4. TheresTheDagger

Pure political move on Trump's behalf to try to deflect from his (and Republican negotiators) complete and abject failure with this abdication. Pelosi, Schumer, and the left won the war and Trump is simply trying to save face. The devil is in the details. The supposed extra 55 miles of fencing will never be built given the parameters set up within the bill that allow for roadblock after roadblock.

Some of Trumps supporters will stay with him. Many more will see this for what it is. Underestimating the importance of the perceived betrayal to many of his voters is a very dangerous misstep if he values re-election IMHO.

Nook, krnxsnoopy and JayGoogle like this.
  5. TheresTheDagger

They will strike it down. No President should be able to override Congress's absolute mandate of controlling the purse strings.

krnxsnoopy and JayGoogle like this.
  6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The only real national emergency remains our mistake-in-chief.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i heard someone toss this crazy theory out there...

trump knows he is going down over mueller investigation and so instead of getting impeached for being a traitor to our country he is setting himself up to get impeached over this blatant power-grab. that way he can go to his brainwashed supporters and say that the swamp forced him out for trying to secure our borders instead of forcing him out over collusion/conspiracy..and all the trumpublicans will love him even more for it.

its probably the best way to save his "brand".

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's over?

I actually wouldn't be too opposed to impeachment on abuse of power in this instance. But that seems like a very unlikely course for House Democrats to take. They'll try to block it with the courts and maybe pass a resolution to condemn it. But responding to a presidential power grab with a congressional power grab probably doesn't have good optics, so they'll stay away from that. Besides, they're still hoping Mueller has found the murder weapon.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, called it a "dangerous step" and "not a good strategy" ....

Cornyn is proving to be a disappointment on a few fronts; this and his support for "perpetual wars"...tho he did vote for Kavs, so that's good.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

For every Dotard action, there is an equal and opposite Trump tweet.

CometsWin likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That makes her at least 3 right?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are telling me if Dems knew that the Senate Republican would back an impeachment vote in the House based on abuse of power they wouldn't take it?

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Trump could declare himself dictator for life and Commodore would find the twitter post defending it as legal.

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He had full control of the House and Senate FOR 2 years and as recent as 2 months ago and did nothing.

17. dmoneybangbang

Great timing with the progressive wing of the Democratic party putting out a laughable GND. And I was worried the Dems were going off the rails....

18. NewRoxFan

Bets n how long it takes for senator collins to reverse position when push comes to shove?

19. NewRoxFan

I suspect that people in the DOJ have a slightly better sense of the law than people in trump's whitehouse...

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

^ this guy thinks a Democrat will never hold office or doesn't understand precident.

Out of principle, I hope Commadore is quite when the next Democrat president declares national emergency over climate change or not having access to healthcare.

Who the **** am I kidding?