1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For the last 3 games...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PWR, Feb 2, 2019.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yeah, there are several issues with NBA defensive stats (and always have been) resulting from how the stat is "attributed".

The team clearly sucks at defense but I'm not sure this is the best way to dissect it.

HP3 likes this.
  2. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

James Ennis is atrocious. Anyone still trying to sell themselves a different story is completely delusional at this point.

Morey literally had the worst off-season of all-time. Signed CP for 160 mil, signed Ennis, Melo, MCW.

LMAO.

PWR and hakeem94 like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Ennis is just all-around terrible. I can't wait for us to get him off the roster.

4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Interior defense is shot. Any team with a decent center should roll us with ease until we get help or Clint back. Our only hope is that they forget to attack the rim like Toronto did

PWR likes this.
  5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Ive gone as far thinking even Zhou Qi maybe coulda helped on D .. :confused: Just someone to bother some shots

Stepback3GOOD, PWR and D-rock like this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

While I can't agree with your analysis..... at least you tried to use some stats to justify your opinion rather than just spouting off.

I think sample size is an issue . I think the situations I need which these players play ... and the quality of opponent played differ immensely. So I don't think your stats mean too much .

But , I think that hartenstein in particular needs to play more .

Sure he is prone to quick fouls (more PT will help him learn to avoid this )

Sure he makes boneheaded mistakes (what rookie doesn't )

He has some nice attributes , hustles , and has SIZE .

This means that opposing bigs actually have to work a little . Hartenstein might not beat them ... but if he can just play solid , we can use his energy to wear down opposing bigs a little . THAT WAY ,when we do play small ... it is our small guys with the energy advantage (which they need )

Notice how we can play good defense for a few possessions... but when we don't get the rebound ... and after a certain number of effort plays ... our defenders wear out . This happens when you have to make up for your small size by playing as strong/ intense as you can . The other team doesn't get worn out because they just get to throw their size around .

So long story short , play hartenstein and it will make our small units (our best units ) more effective

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

3 point accuracy is the most decisive factors = 34.5% not good.

Pace: 97.4 (27th of 30) not good

Def Rtg: 113.2 (27th of 30) not good

PWR likes this.
  8. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

House has better skills, instinct, and play making than Ennis. The 15 points average, although it might have been few games shows it.

Ennis has trouble finding spots in the teeth of the defense. Harden tried to force a pass to him in between jokic and maybe Beasley, and I would have liked to see Ennis knock someone over to get position under the teeth of the defense.

If Ennis could get a lick on someone as he battles for position then that would show some effort at least.

PWR likes this.
  9. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Harden had two turnovers trying to force the ball to pj Tucker, one second quarter where he threw ball out of bounds and again in second half.

Pj was content to chalk up this one due to miss match.

I didn't like the way the rockets started second half with faried play making out of the high post and James taking those three pointers. Tucker took a three too.

I would have liked to see them try to work the post maybe on the weak side with far"weed". Maybe a two man game with cp3 and far"weed" on the weak side for change of pace!

#29 smoothie_king, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  10. riko

riko Member

I can’t believe Ennis has a 71 percent conceeding rate. That is astonishing

PWR likes this.
  11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The early Tucker strip where Tucker ended up on the the floor was good but those types of plays were far, few, and in between.

The cp3 steAl where he helped on one of their bigs as the guy drove the ball was big. That cp3 steal led to him taking the ball for the distance and a three point play, the old fashioned way!!!!

12. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Tucker is disappointed on defense recently.

PWR and D-rock like this.
  13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We suck basically, what else is new? :rolleyes:

The truth is even with Capela back we're not a great team this year...

We have only won those games in late Dec and January because Harden was literally averaging 40+ppg and even then, they were all close games.

PeterKingX and PWR like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Offense too.

PWR likes this.
  15. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The match ups are taking their toll on tucker but his greatest strength is gang rebounding but the game was so far out of hand, and team packed it in.

Last night, nuggets ran offense through jokic through the high post. Notice how the high post stopped faried and rockets from getting and getting the run outs and the high post offense effectively slowed down harden!!!

From the high post, Jokic drove on far"weed". Jokic hit a three on far"weed". Jokic assisted on a bunch of three's. This was all out of the high post. Jokic is an all star for a reason!

I'm looking to see if Tucker can get steals tonight on Rubio, Mitchell, Crowder, and Tucker needs to help gang rebound against gobert too!!!!

#35 smoothie_king, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  16. PWR

PWR Member

I can accept that. Thanks for reading.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  17. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

he and harty def would have helped last night, but mike i obssesed with small lineups

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

@Williamson

Williamson likes this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Meet me in Temecula.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. @ryano2009

ryano2009 likes this.