1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao said "explosion might be coming in these couple days"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jon, Jan 28, 2004.

1. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

Yang Li is YAO's buddy. This guy has on-line phone talks with YAO almost everytime when ROX ended a game. YAO provided Yang with information about the team and YAO's feelings about the game.

2. oliver_67

oliver_67 Member

I read the article and Yao really meant that the he feels that he will explode and play at another level. It's imminent.

The game against KG and Timbervolves was a milestone to him. The game against TMac showed him that he can just go for the points and carry the team to win. I think that Yao now has a new attitude and wants to be the 'man'. As such, the opponents had better watch out!

3. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Ok, cool. I got that much...what I'm asking is what is the basis for his lack of credibility in here? WHat things did he quote which were later disproven/denied by Yao?

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the credibility thing mainly stems from the general notion that no Chinese journalism is 100% trustworthy. Also, Yang Yi's style is somewhat like the 2nd Page stuff in ESPN: lots of subjective juicy opinions sprinkled within the story.

I think the credibility question has some merit but is way out of proportion. I personally think Yang Yi's articles are worth reading as side windows into Yao's view of the game. You just need to bear in mind that a lot of what he writes is from his own subjective point of view. And yes, Yang is a YOF. ;)

Remember windandsea? Yang is one of her favorite writers. I guess the question about Yang's credibility is one reason why she seldom posts anything here now.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hope it was an accurate article that has been translated. (and thanks for the translation :)) I really liked reading this... it's what so many of us have wanted to hear for so long, that you must forgive us if we are a bit sceptical. It sounds too good to be true.

Yao:

“Coach asked me to play harder, to exert myself more. At that time, I thought I was playing hard enough.” Yao said. “But now, I figured out I didn’t really play hard enough, I could play harder. I could be as aggressive as those American players, and when I am playing as aggressive as them, they are scared of me too. I am completely forced to realize these."
    “It’s a pity that China didn’t broadcast the game, I wish I could show you guys my energy, which was totally different than before” Yao said “I went on the court with “murderous look”. But different then the double 20 that I got when playing against Pistons, that was scared by the late. This time, there wasn’t any sign, just like a transformation. I went on the court like I want to kill people, I stared on them. Before, they hit me first, but in that game, I hit them on my own.

I know that this is culturally different for Yao to assimilate (thank you, Mango ;) ), but it is absolutely essential that Yao get this attitude if he wants to play at the highest level in the NBA. And he is getting there. If I hadn't seen the trend of the last several games, with the occasional off-game, to be sure, then I would have thought it was just empty words. But it's not.

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

I think Yao meant that JVG ate 5 of those new bean, cheese, and rice burritos at Taco Bell.

7. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

Definitely JVG.;)

See this picture (Rockets vs. Heat)

[​IMG]

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

:D

9. rocketjf

rocketjf Member

I read the article. My understanding is that Yao is ready to ask the ball all the time on the court. The guards better give to him, otherwise either JVG or Yao is going to kick their butts.

10. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

I hope that ROX' players could work together.

YAO keep playing aggreesively and SF3& CAT can play smart.

When YAO has a good position in the low-post, SF3 and CAT can pass balls to YAO in time. On the other hand, SF3 and CAT can hit wide-open outside shots.

I really hope that JVG could pay attention into shooting practice.

I am not sure if the article about RUDY today imply something. Would RUDY help JVG for offense training?

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

:D

12. NBAsticker

NBAsticker Member

I agree with Easy. "Yang Yi's articles are worth reading as side windows into Yao's view of the game".

13. fakefan

fakefan Member

i second that, and immediately windandsea showed up.

14. mrwriter

mrwriter Member

I'll believe it when I see it. :p

15. pchan

pchan Member

Sound like Yao finally "get it" and is ready to take his game to another level.

I feel so bad now for not drafting Yao with my first pick in my fantasy league, I drafted T-mac, and now I don't even like Tmac anymore. People tend to lose sight of the big picture when money is on the line :(

16. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

From what I have read about what y'all say about Yang Yi, lets assume that half of this is true.. which I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet...

The guy is getting aggressive and realizing that when he takes it to them, good things happen for him and the Rockets.

Stuart

17. feishen

feishen Member

Can someone page Yao to tell him what "dominant" means? He doesnt know what it means as indicated in the article.

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Guys, just read the title of the article:

"Yao opened another door, became more dominant and EXPECTS TO EXPLODE WITHIN DAYS."

The title clear indicates that Yao believes that he is gonna take his game to another level within the near future. The 'explosion' has nothing to do with JVG or Cat.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

20. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I read the article in Chinese. The author clearly meant JVG is going to "explode", meaning maybe change of rotation/trades. Do you remember that LOB pass Cat throw to Yao and the ball flew above his hand for a TO? The TV anchor was saying something like how do you miss a 7-6 guy with arm stretched vertically? It was a horrendous pass. I don't think JVG is enjoying how the backcourts are playing.