1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cooking] Air Fryers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Castor27, Feb 10, 2017.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Got a Philips Viva on Black Friday. Will say it fries very nicely but not sure it justifies the counter space. It’s a pretty big unit but the basket only holds 10 wings or 2 servings of fries max. Have tried a few things:

Wings - This is where it excelled. Nicely fried without the grease. Held about 10 wings but still took 25-30 minutes to cook.

Frozen fries - Just as good as frying them although timing was hard to gauge. Ended up overcooking some. Holds 2 servings max.

Fresh Cut Fries - Not worth the trouble.

Reheating Fried Chicken - Got the outside crispy again, much better than trying to toast or bake it. Still dried out a little which is inevitable.

Turkey - In laws did a whole turkey in an off brand air fryer and was the best homemade turkey I’ve tried. Absolutely delicious. Unit was huge though.

Buck Turgidson and Rocket River like this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My parent's neighbors built one in their back yard. While it does make great pizza and breads, he barely uses it because it only makes pizzas and breads. Plus, cooking with it during the summer is pretty difficult. It'll get to around 1,000 degrees. Took him about a year to build (though that was mostly due to his own schedule). Getting the bricks in the dome right was the toughest part.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Speaking of cooking gadgets: thinking about buying my mom (thus me) a sous vide contraption for Christmas...anyone have any experience with any particular make/models?

4. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I cook those HEB meal simple meals in mine.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

How is this different then baking in the oven?

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

My sous vide setup has been perfectly fine for three years. No complaints. Lid isnt rly needed.

Thing that controls water temp:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077P73F2V?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Tub:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000R8JOUC?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Lid:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071L6PRY8?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I've had a larger phillips for over a year now, and we keep it in the utility room off of the kitchen. I have the other goofy kitchen gadget (an instapot), and I use it more. The air fryer does okay on wings, but even with the added second level accessory, you just can't cook that much. Where it excels is for my ten year old. For a snack, he like those mini tacos from Trader Joes, or egg rolls from Costco, or the occasional French fry. Frozen foods that are supposed to be "fried" work really well in it, so I see it being something great for peeps who don't cook a whole lot.........kids just learning up to college age. Best tater tots I've ever had........for someone who likes to cook (and eat well), not worth the money or counter space.

8. Buck Turgidson

rapid convection heat in a small space

9. Buck Turgidson

Sous vide advice?

eta, re: wings, have you seen Alton Brown's new? method for wings...you steam them for a bit to render off some of the fat and soften up the connective tissue, then he bakes them for a good while on a rack over a baking sheet in a hot oven, turning once, to get the skin all crispy, then toss with sauce. Haven't tried it but it sounded interesting.

#29 Buck Turgidson, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  10. hooroo

hooroo Member

imo the predecessor of the air fryer which is the benchtop convection oven/turbo broiler does a better job. at least the ones using an element and not halogen lights which may not reach high enough temps to cook food safely. air fryers do have the advantage when it comes to fries.

11. Buck Turgidson

Right on. I have a bunch of cooking stuff in the yard (built a smokehouse a few years ago that I've used all of 5 times). I just don't have one of those yet. I do love fresh baked bread and pizza. I imagine it would get used every other month, weather permitting, doubt I'll be doing much baking june-sept.

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I have not seen Brown's wing thingy.......and I although I've done all kinds of stuff in the kitchen, I haven't messed with sous vide. All the things sous vide seems the best for, I'm pretty confident in my current cooking strategy.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have one of these and it works well. I don't know if it's any healthier since you still have to spray a little on your food to get true fried food taste but it's a lot cleaner and more convenient than traditional frying. I like to make egg rolls, pot stickers, and cheese sticks in it.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/power-air-fryer-xl/prod20298033.ip

I think the brand matters. Just get one with good reviews and enough capacity.,

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've had a Joule for almost a couple of years. I've only made steaks and tuna with it and they're awesome. Just have to perfect the sear, which I'm still working on. The connectivity is sometimes flaky on mine, but "eventually" works. Others don't have the same problem, I don't think.

That being said, the most popular one may be one of the Anova models. They usually have good sales on these around Black Friday, so there may still be some going on.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've had the anova bluetooth for about about 4 years and it has worked flawlessly.

16. The Boz

The Boz Member

I have a nuwave oven. Had it for many years. Is it the same as an air fryer?

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you're talking about the dome thing, then no. An air fryer is basically just for air frying. I used to have a NuWave oven years ago back when Hearthware I think was producing it. The originals were great when they had halogen lamps for heating elements. Until mine caught fire. lol. The replacement died after a year or two, I think. I never bought another one. I used it primarily for cooking steaks from frozen, but since I found sous vide, no way I'd buy one again for that. I air fried potatoes/french fries in the Nuwave years ago. Can't remember how that turned out, to be honest, but it was capable of doing it. I don't know which one does it better.

The Boz likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My Wife has wanted one. I think I will get one.
    Thanks for the input. I am not sure which one.
    I am trying to gauge the sizes. There is only the two of us.
    So I don't think I want the Big ole Monster sizes.

Rocket River

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Air Fryer - Good for frozen french fries and other frozen fried items, NOT good for home made fried shrimp, chicken (with the exception of unbreaded wings) or CFS etc. You'll end up with a gunked up mess. My son made some amazing pizza rolls but I was hella stoned so what take that for what it's worth

Sous Vide - I love mine. Steaks perfectly cooked (quick sear afterward in cast iron) Pork belly fully cooked beautifully, slice and sear. emmmm "a friend" also told me it works great to decarb your MJ if you're into making edibles, no stink or smell. you can then use the sous vide with some canning jars to infuse any fat, oil or honey for your cooking.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was curious about the clean up

Rocket River