1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm happy Raptors are playing well. Hopefully Kawhi commits there long term.

**** the Celtics.

Invisible Fan, fba34, sew and 2 others like this.
  2. today

today Contributing Member

@Codman: Was Kawhi healthy last year for the Spurs or not?

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Tough one here, with not much to offer from me:

Kawhi's team: No and Yes. No, because his injury did not heal properly through the advice of Spurs' docs. And then, yes, Kawhi was healthy through his OWN team of docs and cultivators.

Spurs: Kawhi was healthy, but he chose not to play.

There was no middle ground in that situation, ever. And when your teammates (while warranted in terms of wanting to have the best possible chance to win) dog you in the press, you don't return to the team from that.

Fun story: Allegedly Spurs locker room had one loss where they finally lost their minds as well. One guy I know within the team said it turned into a "Burn Session" of Kawhi as a means to deal with the loss.

*Someone recorded....RC better hope that NEVER gets out of San Antonio.

XO

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At least in the game against the rockets he didn't look right. He might have been ok at the end of the year, but the spurs talking crap about him probably pissed him off.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tragic given the fact that Kawhi was instrumental to one of their championships.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Oh man, "Storytime with @Codman" has returned! This is choice! Look forward to the next episode! :)

@heypartner wanted to make sure you saw this.

7. today

today Contributing Member

Thanks Cod... I always enjoy these "fly on the wall" insights ;)

8. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

I believe Kawhi's team... he didn't look as athletic early on has he had been in the past... now that could just be rust but it still looks like he is working his way back.

Even at not full strength the guy looks like the best in the world.

9. omgTHEpotential

His defense is other-worldly... And it's not just because he has the lateral quickness and long arms... He's got a crazy defensive IQ. If you could combine Harden's offense and Kawhi's defense, you'd get a GOAT player, far better than MJ or LeBron.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Was it a player who recorded? We have another Dangelo Russell type snitch in the league?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. omgTHEpotential

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I like Kawhi because he thought about maybe it wasn't really disrepect.

"I don't know if he's talking about last year or not," -- Kawhi
    That thought came to my mind too, because if Pops was referring to Kawhi's whole career, then that quote by Pops doubles as a MAJOR jab at Tony Parker. If Pops is talking about more years than just last year, then why would he leave Parker off his list (saying, "Manu and Patty were the leaders."). That would be a Phil Jackson-esque jab at Parker for leaving the team.

Nook and Deuce like this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

who is this ref, is this tony brothers?

16. craguin

craguin Member

Vivi likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Exactly . . .. I thought this was a even trade . . .now I see it is not even close

Rocket River

sew and omgTHEpotential like this.
  18. omgTHEpotential

Danny Green really makes it even more lopsided. He's providing great defense, veteran leadership and is shooting 44% from three which would be his career high if he managed to sustain it... Also seems like a really good locker room guy.

saleem and Rocket River like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Pop had a lot of issues with Parker, especially early in Parker’s career.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stein:

Kawhi Leonard will leave Toronto to sign with the Los Angeles Clippers in July:

Look for several of next summer’s major free agents — Boston’s Kyrie Irving, Philadelphia’s Jimmy Butler and Golden State’s Klay Thompson — to stay put.

Allow me to also pass on one of the wildest predictions I’ve heard lately, from one wise insider, who thinks even DeMarcus Cousins will consider re-upping with the Warriors for one more season despite the (comparatively) minuscule raise they can offer on Cousins’ current $5.3 million salary.

The Raptors, however, know that they almost certainly have to win it all to convince Leonard to spurn a return to his native Southern California. It turns out that merely winning the LeBron-less East will be tougher than the Raptors ever imagined because of Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Boston and pesky Indiana.

The Clippers’ hopes of signing Kawhi away from the Raptors, as a result, feel rather real as the calendar flips. One likewise presumes that a full Toronto teardown, headlined by a Kyle Lowry trade, would soon follow if Kawhi exits.

s3ts, craguin and Vivi like this.