1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

So why do you think the Nationals owner vetoed the Harper trade? Why did the Wolves openly come out and say they didn't want to trade Butler to the Rockets because they didn't want to help Houston create another super team? Why did Mark Cuban party with Parsons and screw the Rox over by signing him to that ridiculous contract? Why did the Mariners INSIST on getting Forrest Whitley from us and wouldn't go any further in negotiations with us without including him...but they settled for a package around Sheffield.

I work at a fortune 500 company and witness executives act in this way on a daily basis. It's political, personal, etc. in the real world in a business setting I can promise you that.

Edit: By the way you know JBB was included in that deal for only HALF a season Bryce Harper who hasn't been better than Goldschmidt. Can you calculate the surplus value for me of that proposed deal?

#821 Htown Stros, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t care about the NBA.

The Nats could have rejected that offer for any number of reasons, but I suspect the owner felt the value they were receiving was less than the value they would lose (via the opportunity cost of losing some negotiating advantage with Harper as well as whatever small chance they still had at making the playoffs). Keep in mind, Bukauskas’ stock has been on steady rise over the last 6 months. So while I think Bukauskas has Top 75 type of value now, in July he was more of a fringe Top 100-125 guy. WRT the Mariners, again my inclination is that the Mariners GM places a very high value on Sheffield and felt the only prospect of Houston’s that he liked better was Whitley (in fact, the only prospects Houston has that are rated publicly as high or higher than Sheffield are Tucker and Whitley), but I’m not sure how that situation in any way supports your argument that something other than value drove that decision.

I’m sorry, but you’re simply wrong about high level executives and their default behavior patterns. They get to where they are by finding value and controlling their emotions.

My very rough guess as to the calculus for the rumored Harper trade (that didn’t actually happen) is that Harper had $15-20M of surplus value (projected for 2.5 remaining WAR, owed ~$10M), and Bukauskas (as a fringe Top 100 guy at the time) had $10-15M of surplus value, with the other prospects that would have been included making up the difference. But if you really want to understand all this, you can go back and review all the trades that have actually happened, and see that there is a clear, strong relationship between surplus value (or you can just read the articles on Fangraphs as they’ve done all the legwork for us).

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

You don’t care about the NBA...so I’m not allowed to use it to support my argument that executives don’t always act in the best interest of their team/company? What about the NFL then...ever heard of Jerry Jones, Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys? What about Papa John? What about Elon Musk?

And I’m wrong about what goes on with executives? What is your opinion based off? For the record my boss is an executive...I see it on a daily basis.

I give you a bunch of examples and you give me “I don’t care about the NBA and I don’t know what goes on in a Fortune 500 setting”...so I’m done arguing this because it’s pointless.

Get back to me when Goldschmidt is traded (if he actually is traded) and we’ll see what the package looks like. I’ll gladly tip my hat if it’s something similar to JBB and Reed. I have a feeling you won’t do the same if it’s a package similar to what the Mariners got for Paxton.

Edit: If Harper was projected at 2.5 WAR the rest of the year at July 31st then that’s some terrible projections. On top of that, I noticed Goldy was projected at less WAR than Paxton per FanGraphs next year...care to make a tip jar bet of $20? I’ll take Goldy and you take Paxton...after all you are using this in your surplus calculations I’m assuming.

megastahr and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The Nationals vetoed the Astros trade because they believed keeping him would help their odds of resigning him.

The Wolves didn’t trade Butler to the Rockets because they wanted players and not draft picks. The Sixers deal was better than the Rockets offer for what the Wolves value.

The Mariners wanted Whitley from the Astros because they value Sheffield more than most organizations. It is the same reason the Pirates dealt Cole to the Astros instead of the Yankees.

It isn’t rocket science and it isn’t the 1960’s. Teams and decision makers that have to answer to someone else make decisions based on what they feel is best for their team/organization. If they don’t, then they don’t last long.

whiskeyred and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Cintron and Snitckers (sp?) named the hitting coaches. Is this good? Bad? Has no bearing on anything whatsoever?

6. awc713

awc713 Member

The “I work at a Fortune 500 company” line may be the most entertaining line of reasoning I’ve ever seen on CF. Bravo.

NIKEstrad, MrBear1, King1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Explain the Parsons with Mark Cuban...

And you realize we ended up offering Gordon and picks (remember that’s what they asked for) and they still said no...there was actual reports that said they didn’t want to trade to the Rockets.

8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

So the fact I’ve seen executives act in selfish/political ways isn’t good reasoning? I’ve been told by multiple people now that “executives have people to answer to so they don’t make bad decisions” yet I’m over here wondering how guys like Elon Musk, Papa John, etc. exist then.

So back to the baseball part...you think the Dbacks would take JBB and Reed for Goldy? Or you just want to be a “brainless *******” too?

#828 Htown Stros, Nov 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dude are you trolling? You do know Papa John has been ousted and Elon Musk is likely to be railroaded soon as well, right? Not exactly ideal examples of how successful executives at large companies typically behave. At this point let’s just chill out, enjoy Thanksgiving, and see if Goldschmidt is traded. If he brings back an MLB top 30 prospect, I’ll eat crow.

10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Astros interested in J A Happ:

• Speaking of Happ, the veteran left-hander is generating a lot of buzz in free agency. In addition to the Phillies, the Angels, Astros, and Brewersare new teams who Morosi adds to the already-lengthy list of clubs (the Blue Jays, Reds, Twins, White Sox, and Yankees) who have previously been rumored to have some level of interest in Happ’s services. Of the newly-cited teams, Milwaukee and Houston offer Happ the best chance of competing for a World Series in 2019, while the Angels and Phillies are a few steps behind at this point of the offseason, though obviously L.A. and Philadelphia each have designs on significant roster upgrades this winter.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Eric Gordon isn’t as good as Covington and Dario Saric. The Wolves head coach made it clear he wanted players and not draft picks. After the trade he even made it clear he wanted players. There is nothing else to explain.

What about Parsons? The Mavs has an opportunity to add what they hoped was a foundational piece. They did the same with Jordan.

Even the White Sox dealt with the Cubs after reports they would never make a deal,

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Theres belief we wont trade for a SP

Aim for Morton and Happ. Make big trades for bats.

Pitchers way to expensive

megastahr likes this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

I think JB and Reed is certainly in the ballpark. May not be enough to beat out 29 other teams, but it’s a fair offer. Maybe a 3rd piece would be needed, or a better 2nd piece to replace Reed. It really all depends on ARIs analysis/grades and what they want.

No one is doubting how good or foundational of a piece Goldy has been. But he has one year of control left. No team is going to gut their farm system for one year of Goldy (or any player). It just won’t happen. I don’t care who the executives you’re around are. EVERYONE in the MLB has egos. So what? They all want to win. At the end of the day, a top 40-75 prospect and a few spare parts will likely be the cost to acquire Goldy. Time to sit back and see who bites. Hopefully it’s HOU, because my god...what a scary f’ing lineup.

Happy Thanksgiving and go stros. We’re taking 2019!

Snake Diggit and Shark44 like this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Who believes that?

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

the voices in his head

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Well if you look around.
    Price for Kluber Verdugo and Santana of the Dodgers

Price for Snydergaard is Gore and paddack of the Padres

Diamondbacks supposedly have a suite to take Grienkes entire contract and still get good prospects in return. PADRES???

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I seriously doubt the Indians trade all there Pitchers itll be one.
    So yea voices keep talking. Read around mlbtraderumers live chat has discussed there thoughts and have said prices for Pitchers under control very very high.

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I would like that

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where are you getting your information?

20. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I think the Astros think they can get by with more help on bats.

Then you wouldnt have to push McHugh ot Peacock to the Rotation and you would still have James and Valdez if not traded with Whitley if he blows the doors off in Spring Training.

I wouldnt mind Eovaldi and Morton and Happ all signed.
    And see how it gos
    But idk if Morton Signs.
    Or
    Eovaldi will get what he wants as a price.
    Happ doesn't go back to the Blue Jays

It's just what the chatter is.