1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Renew Bid for Butler, offering FOUR first-round picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 25, 2018.

1. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Is Jimmy going to have to pull a Bobby Portis, or is Cobblepot going to give it up already

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Y’all are gonna bash me but harden needs to play off ball if we get butler. But I don’t think he knows how to. He’s got a habit of iso ball all day. No idea how to incorporate himself into a movement based offense from the looks of it

PeterKingX likes this.
  3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You think this is possible because why?

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

But I think the point is to remain flexible until you can get to this point.

We weren’t there when we let Dragic walk.

Corrosion, clutchdabear and kjayp like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

• In 7 yrs, we lose 4 picks and keep 3.
    • If it's any consolation, in last 6 yrs, GSW lost 3 picks and kept 3.
    GSW only had a FRP selection in 3 of last 6 drafts. And, their 3 picks were #30, #30 and #28.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

This has always been my favorite .gif .

LOL

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think is possible what? That Durant bolts? If so well, cause the rumor is out there, just reading regular articles on the internet lol, maybe he's tired of being called coward or cupcake.

clutchdabear and DonKnock like this.
  8. hibbetts

hibbetts Member

Ok, Chriss and Knight + 4 first future firsts for Butler.....the scary thing is that this may be for a one year rental....no go unless Butler guarantees he'll resign with us!

justtxyank likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doubt anyone is NOT on board with something like:

- Butler is extended before being traded - meaning, he will make 100m/4yrs, rather than 190m/5yrs.
    - The salary is matched by sending out Knight and Chriss.
    - 2019 unprotected. Likely late first rounder.
    - 2021 top 14 protected (otherwise becomes 2 2nd rounders). Likely between 14th and 30th pick.
    - 2023 unprotected (this is the real asset we'd be giving up). Could be anywhere.
    - 2025 top 14 protected (otherwise becomes 2 2nd rounders). Could be anywhere, but we will have been able to prepare for it unlike the previous pick.
    - Realistic possibility we have to dump Gordon and/or Tucker by next summer, which should at worst yield neutral assets.

Your top 8 rotation guys for this season are: Harden, Paul, Butler, Tucker, Gordon, Capela, Ennis, Melo.

EDIT: corrected Butler extension amount, credit to @heypartner

#329 Mathloom, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Limited protections man. The 2023 and 2025 potentially insanely valuable.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

hahahhahahaha Morey has gone full Nets mode

we better pray Harden and CP3 stay relatively healthy the next 4 years

BigShasta likes this.
  12. kiwirocketsfan

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Also, to note, how many trades have they made using their picks for contributors?

DonKnock likes this.
  14. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I would think the doom and gloomers of being 1-3 already would be on board with it.....

clutchdabear, DonKnock and HP3 like this.
  15. RESINator

RESINator Member

We have harden locked for the next 4-5 years. 1st round picks don't guarantee anything. Harden guarantees playoffs. If we are in championship mode, its do or die.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well I assume if they didn't have them , that means that they traded them . I think a couple were for igoudala .

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

That was the begining of their run. And that was for cap space to sign him iirc.

Since then what?

DonKnock likes this.
  18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I feel like we've seen this song and dance a million times before.

When there is a lot of noise around a Daryl Morey trade offer it doesnt come into fruition. Usually because the other team is leaking it to get a better deal from somebody else.

snowconeman22 and J.R. like this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We MUST give them one valuable one. The 2023 is that pick, and it's worth it imo. If we're rebuilding, it will be 2021. We can give up one pick for the shot at a championship. That's ok to delay a rebuild by one year to extend your contention window from 1 year to 3-4 years. I find that a more than acceptable deal.

The 2025, no chance it will be valuable as a top 14 protected. Paul will be retired, Harden might be too. No one on the books at that time, we can plan for it so that we either tanking or contending. Just so far in the future that only incompetence can screw it up.

This is championship. Warriors got lucky, so we have to take a risk to catch up. This team is on its last legs and capped out. Heck just getting rid of Knight is worth one of those picks. Two of them could turn into 2nd rounders, which would be great.

I just don't see the issue. To me, this team is going to have problems now or within 12 months. Let's be proactive and add Butler to the core of Harden/Capela/Paul. That's an era. Any other time, that's a dynasty. Worth 1 ring, which would practically be guaranteed as long as the staff have it in them.

D-rock, JoeBarelyCares and seeingred like this.
  20. RESINator

RESINator Member

These are our last 4 1st round picks:

1. Sam Dekker (2015)
    2. Clint Capella (2014)
    3. Terrence Jones (2012)
    4. Royce White (2012)

Aside from Clint, all have been trash. And lets be real clint plays as well as he does because of Harden and CP3. We've been winning through trades and FA signing rarely through the draft.

D-rock likes this.