1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Rockets inquired about JR Smith, also talked to the Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lionaire, Jul 31, 2018.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

A three-way trade between Miami, Sacramento and Houston isn't out of the realm of possibility:

Houston sends Ryan Anderson and a future 1st (maybe even the swapped 2020 Mavs 2nd?) to Sacramento
    Sacramento sends Iman Shumpert to Miami
    Miami sends James Johnson to Houston

Sacramento and Ryan Anderson finally ends up together and the Kings just rented out their capspace for at least one 1st Rounder

Miami swaps out $30 million in total salaries over the next 2 years for an $11 million expiring contract in Shumpert who they could, theoretically, buy out if they want to. This gets them even closer to the luxury tax line

Houston gets a starter-quality SF/PF guy that won't take any **** from the Draymond Greens of the world (I'd love to see him try to provoke James "7-0 in MMA competition" Johnson like he did with Tristan). AND here's the other kicker: This could potentially cut the tax bill for Fertitta even moreso.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd34r5eh

It's not as sexy as the OPM but I'll take it. You want to run your best 7 guys out come playoff time?

Harden
    CP3
    Capela
    Tucker
    Gordon
    Melo
    Johnson

Dude is 1 year removed from being money on the right corner 3
    nice. James Johnson.png

#181 steddinotayto, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You read that ALL wrong....

Dumbass = Jr Smith

What you think about it = the whole trade scenario of what the thread is titled.

jch1911 likes this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Which poster had the insider dog? We need to check in with him.

4. KellyUnchained

sorry about that man, I edited the last post you sent to me, I answered it there lol

jch1911 likes this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

OPJM blasphemy!

That being said, one small tweak to your trade: Miami includes Rodney Mcgruder to Rox = that would get Miami completely out of LT

Also, probably going to have to include 2019 1st or 2020 2nd & 2021 2nd + rights to Gentille to Sactown.

Plus, Miami is probably going to want something in addition to Shumpert (Evans?)

But your trade would theoretically still work.
    SAC: Anderson (HOU) + 2019 1st unprotected + 2021 HOU 2nd + rights to Gentille
    MIA: Shumpert (SAC) + rights to Evans + 2020 HOU 2nd
    HOU: Johnson (MIA) + McGruder (MIA) McGruder fits into out brand new TPE

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would take Jamal Crawford over JR too. But neither move the needle for me.

What I am WAAAAAAAY more interested in, is Codman's ever fascinating signature

-"Deep South Mason-ing"

James Johnson.....YES PLEASE!

jch1911 and joshuaao like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I like the subtle addition of McGruder into this package. He might be a nice young prospect. 6'5" and shot 40% in 3's last year. He was kinda buried on Miami's bench. Man, they really have a roster crunch.

jch1911 and steddinotayto like this.
  8. steddinotayto

Don't worry brothers; the OPM is not in doubt. Our sheer will to speak this into existence and will bear fruit soon!

jch1911 and treyk3 like this.
  9. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Great trade i like it!!

jch1911 and steddinotayto like this.
  10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Somebody please sell me on the idea of James Johnson's fit. That's my only hesitation with our apparent interest in him.

Mind you, I say this as someone that likes his game and agrees that he could help us. The intangibles component is through the roof with him, I get that.

I just don't see an obvious role for him here....

He's logged almost all of his minutes at the 4/5 (mostly PF)
    Age 34 Melo is a 4 in today's NBA
    Age 33 Tucker is a 4 in today's NBA

Tucker and Melo, in some way shape or form, figures to be our rotation at the 4. I have a hard time envisioning either being our primary SF. I also get that we run a switch-heavy defensive scheme and that I shouldn't get too caught up in labels. All the same, I still question whether there's an obvious role here for James Johnson. Thoughts?

11. steddinotayto

Off the top of my head, small ball lineup

Johnson
    Tucker
    Harden
    Gordon
    Paul

Or

Johnson
    Melo
    Tucker
    Harden
    Paul

Whatever Johnson can give us is on the defensive side is infinitely better than what Ryno can't give us on either end of the court right now.

The other thing is you add another junkyard type of player onto the roster. The one thing I'll miss from losing Ariza is his toughness and that don't **** with me and my team aura. Johnson can give us that edge again .

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

All fair points. Especially on the Ryno front. I don't think there's any chance we'll attempt to squash the awkwardness and reinstall him into the rotation. Addition by subtraction.

That said, on paper, would James Johnson figure to be our backup 5? And would he be okay with moving from a starting role in Miami to likely 18-20 MPG off of the bench?

Just thinking out loud here. Trying to understand how all of the pieces will fall together.

steddinotayto likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

I think PJ is a better all around defender but I don't think he can start and play 40 minutes a night a la Ariza without a drop off in defense due to fatigue. HYPOTHETICALLY, if we do get Johnson, I'd like to see a starting 5 of

Capela
    Johnson
    Anthony
    Harden
    Paul

People will say Melo is a 4 now and yea I agree but with all of the switching and how the NBA be pretty much positionless ball now you can just say we have 1 center, 2 PGs and 2 PFs starting. Then you bring in PJ to sub out Johnson or Melo and finish most games with

Capela
    Tucker
    Melo
    Harden
    Paul

Johnson's averaged around 26 minutes a night so it's not like he's getting huge PT. Starting him and letting PJ conserve his energy to close out might be the better thing to do.

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

?????

16. izeroi

izeroi Member

17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

18. izeroi

izeroi Member

Well, guess it isn't happening...

19. Ericonomist

Ericonomist Member

joshuaao and jch1911 like this.
  20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that isn't james johnson's account, and that isn't clint capela's account lol. i wish it were true tho!