1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: Rockets inquired about JR Smith, also talked to the Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lionaire, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Melo knows the score in the 4th quarter

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bazemore would probably start here.

As for the luxury tax issue, sure. We get worse but at least the owner saves money

3. j@amc

j@amc Member

Okay, I hear you. But he would actually be around other players on your team. Do we actually want that? Seems like drama follows him...

glimmertwins likes this.
  4. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Takeaways from the various rumors re. Ryno

1) Different themes the management is considering.

a) Instant help (Miami, Atlanta, and Charlotte - Batum)
    b) Asset upgrade (duration trade); aka long chess move, for bigger, before-the-trade deadline upgrades. The JR + Korver trade falls into this category.
    c) Something in between. (Memphis and the Charlotte - MKG+Marvin WIlliams in mind)

The enquiries are probably part due-diligence, getting to know what is available, and part soul-searching, understanding what is the best need for the team. (and perhaps part getting leverage as well, sending signals that Ryno is considered by various teams).

I personally prefer b) and c) above, although a) doesn't preclude us from making more moves later. b) and c) probably make it easier.

2) Ryno is far more tradable than before. (No, unlike what Capelaholics claimed, it clearly doesn't need 2 first rounders to ship him out)

I also think that the idea of JR has nothing to do with his relationship with Chris and Melo. The idea of quasi-expiring and breaking down a big contract into two tradable contract is quite smart. Another allure of that route is that we likely do not need to give up a first rounder for trading Ryno.

Hakeemtheking and jch1911 like this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I get you.... I think my fandom was somewhat clouding my thinking.
    It really boils down to what other team would want Anderson & that is a short list:
    - maybe Sacramento
    - possibly Charlotte
    - Miami (would need sweetner)
    - Memphis (rumor from a solid source)
    - maybe Portland

Portland makes the most sense (Ryan was headed there for Melo last summer!!!) :rolleyes::eek:;)
    POR: Anderson (HOU) + SAC 2019 2nd Trade helps get Blazers under LT threshold and adds a productive floor spacer. Blazers swap a likely low 1st for a 2nd from SAC
    CLE: Evan Turner (POR) + 2021 HOU 2nd + rights to Vince Edwards (HOU) Turner played his college ball at Ohio State. Cavs shred salary for this year.
    SAC: Meyers Leonard (POR) + rights to Gentille (HOU) + POR 2019 1st (top 20 protected) Pick up a 1st for taking on Leonard's contract
    HOU: JR Smith (CLE) + Kyle Korver (CLE)

Everybody wins!

Chamillionaire likes this.
  6. Chamillionaire

JR Smith.... man. Please. I wouldn't mind Korver though.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The Tyler Johnson tidbit is interesting. He's a very capable player that can both shoot and create his own offense. Very underrated.

Do we have a need for him? Not really. But then again, we don't really have an obvious role for James Johnson yet everyone here still wants him.

I say that because James Johnson is a 4/5 - mostly a PF
    Melo is a 4 in today's NBA
    Tucker is a 4 in today's NBA

We seem to be pretty set a PF with a fairly obvious hole at SF, which neither Johnson player seemingly addresses.

8. onreego

onreego Member

We thought the arms race was against GSW but it's actually against the Lakers. :eek:

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Nah - I think Morey is kicking to tires to see if Smith can be used in part of a 3 or 4 team deal by finding a new home for Smith to give Cle a little tax relief this year/next.

jch1911 likes this.
  10. aroundtheblock2

So you watched the NBA finals the last 2 years?

Did you happen to catch the level of defense between those 2?

Doesn't help this team in the playoffs . Both players are liabilities.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

MDA, Melo, JR...that would remind me of the Knicks...
    [​IMG]

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you forgot @Os Trigonum

13. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Man... see above. Reading is your friend. (Although I can admit I have been guilty of a quick read in the past)

14. izeroi

izeroi Member

Lakers? What?

15. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

They are trying to get under the luxury tax. Johnson is making around $14M this season and $30M the next two seasons. Of course in trading for Johnson we would also have to take back Justice Winslow or a player with similar salary if we give them Ryan Anderson for salaries to match.

16. JW86

JW86 Member

Again, the breaking stories far in advance almost never happen.

17. KellyUnchained

about JR Smith? he's lowkey a quiet guy in the lockeroom, but i think you'd prefer Nick Young. specifically for the fact that it weakens GSW second unit, and he doens't hit those momentum changing shots against HOU.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not about that dumbass, about the whole scenario. What do we make of it all, have you heard anything, who are we actually targeting?

19. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Melo, JR, Nene... that would remind me of the Nuggets...

Vivi and jch1911 like this.
  20. KellyUnchained

I hadn't heard anything about J.R Smith, but then again im not Zach freakin Lowe lol. Lowe and others have years of relationships built. But now that it's out there I'll look into it. I also don't know what Cleveland would want with Ryan Anderson, doesn't really make sense to me. But like I said, I'll check it out

#180 KellyUnchained, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Deuce, yixiixiy and Vivi like this.