1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. raining threes

Is the trade deadline next Tuesday?

Luhnow has made a trade everytime the Stros are in contention.

I expect no difference this year.

Just because the Yanks got Britton doesn't mean the season is over.

Call me a nuthugger if you like but I'm going to give the man who brought this city its first WS title just LAST YEAR the benefit of the doubt. Jesus come on man.

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I’m annoyed too that we didn’t beat that offer, but some of y’all are nutcases.

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree

And I’ve never seen Luhnows much less hugged them

4. The Beard

I agree with this except I don’t think anyone is giving legitimate thought to the fact that Tate was highly regarded not too long ago, and it’s very possible that the Orioles organization still likes him a lot and wanted him more than most of our prospect arms, and we weren’t moving the top couple...not saying they are right, but sometimes scouts/FO people really like a guy and miss out on him in the draft then go get him in trade (Moran is an example though we traded him away later cause we had no place for him)

raining threes likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

Where? When?

6. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t really appreciate Buster passing of speculative opinion as fact. The idea that the Astros don’t feel pressure to make moves so they didn’t is complete bullshit. Luhnow felt pressure at the deadline last year and didn’t make a move until the waiver deadline. Luhnow and Crane are very competitive and want to win. The idea that either believes “Well we won a World Series so we are good” is insulting.

The Astros didn’t get Britton because Luhnow put a value on Britton in comparison to how he viewed his prospects and didn’t deviate from that.

Buster can kiss my ass. He wouldn’t have said that about the Cubs last year.

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope we make a move. I would love nothing more than us winning back-to-back. I feel like Boston is a step ahead of Houston even though we have the best diff in the league. We all know we weren't favored in all of our postseason match ups last year and we all saw what happened. Luhnow has a tough job balancing trade assets and standing pat.

Correa is out and we don't know what we are going to get from him once he is back. McCann is out as well. This offense isn't the same and doesn't have the same pop. Although our bullpen I believe is 2nd in all of MLB, it would be amazing to have someone we can count on without a doubt. What Hinch was able to do with bullpen was nothing short of amazing for 2017 in the playoffs. I would hate to see him having to rely on that same magic for 2018. I don't know if Britton was that person but we still have some time before Tuesday.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Tate is a good prospect and they are eating $5M. And then to have to give another guy? Impressive job by the Orioles. Yankees clearly going with the well throw nothing but relievers in the postseason strategy.

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think the Yankees want to pay the price it's going to cost them to obtain a legit SP. I think they feel confident their offense is going to keep them in most games. Apparently the Yankees have the prospects but I just don't see how they can afford to keep making trades.

10. Houston_Rockets

As I said before, this was about are you willing to spend the big bucks to sign him to a contract vs impact he would have this season, and in the end Luhnow put a value on the 100% rent version of Britton and he was not willing to go above a OK offer by the Yankees.

Now is he crazy enought, to go beyond this deadline without making a trade? Crazy because other contenders are being aggressive, and because now probably all the trade targets that would actually improve us would take better package then this Britton deal making them even less probable.

Having DM as a Rockets Gm doesn't help our little Astros fans hearts, just the crazy level of fluidity on the roster makes you think Luhnow does nothing but jerk off to the prospects he drafts.

I trust him tho, let's get some JT, Hr 4 Rbi today, this offense needs another dynamic bat Jeff.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Almost 20 years ago in the Big X

bigdaddy likes this.
  12. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Do something Maurrrrry :(

donkeypunch likes this.
  13. Senator

Senator Member

There is a repeated theme on here - if you hear something you don't like or isn't 100% pro Astros, you put words in the other person's mouth to discredit them. If your case was as strong as you thought it was, you would stick to the facts.

I have repeatedly stated this isn't specific to the astros not signing britton, but a culmination of factors pointed out throughout the season. A thread about herrera was locked, that wreaks of nuthuggerism..we only want to hear what we want to hear bias. When you're up against BOS, NYY and LAD who can keep spending until they get it right, you have to pounce on your needs instead of playing it safe. Bottomline: complacency is death. There should be pressure on Luhnow given the foundation he was allowed to start with. The team has not impressed against strong opposition despite having a starting pitching lineup for the ages, certain offensive players have regressed to their mean and with a stacked prospect system outside of the big 3, you can be aggressive.

14. The Beard

Oh, so the moderators are nut huggers? Got it

Carry on

15. Senator

Senator Member

Astros send:
    Giles
    Will Harris

Rangers send:
    Shin Soo Choo, agree to pay his 2018 salary in full

Choo makes $40 million over the next 2 years, but gives the stros immediate offensive pop + high OBP. Eventual replacement for the loss of Marwin and/or Gattis to a big contract.

Rangers get a salary dump for an aging guy they overpaid. Maybe make something of Giles while they continue to lay turds.

A Verlander esque deal for the Stros, aging guy with a big salary, not as prolific or guaranteed, but gets them short term production.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'll be disappointed unless he's got something brewing on someone like Raicel Iglesias.

17. HTown2017Champs

Not a fan. Why should we bail out the Mall Cops?

raining threes likes this.
  18. The Beard

Take on $40 million for a guy who is terrible in the field?

He is having a great year at the plate, but adding a guy who really needs to be DH only and adding $40 million to the payroll the next two years doesn’t sound all that good man

19. Senator

Senator Member

Fair enough. Marwin is gone, not blown away with Gattis at the DH and looking for production. You add solid vets like Beltran and Verlander for high prices and good things happen even when they aren't producing. Beltre provided insane value for Texas until 39. Who knows, maybe Texas pays some of his 2019 salary... they don't need him. Who else can you sign for a short term deal in the offseason who will give you that value?

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Some of you guys really want this team to make a trade just for the sake of it