1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official : The Rockets have gotten BETTER this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jul 12, 2018.

1. GranvilleWaders

You must be joking? Not only do you not agree with my post..it's so far off base that you would think you're actually being trolled? That's ridiculous in itself. I am thinking your just trying to be an antagonist. And yes you can compare PER for players. It's not exact but it's a quantifiable measure of predicted performance. The Rockets are tops in the league at doing THIS EXACT THING. They did it with Harden who was off the bench in OKC when they traded for him. They predicted he would excel even in a starting fashion
    You and a lot of others I think are romanticizing what Ariza can still do defensively. He's older, slower, and defensively intelligent I get it but the offensive swings are too much to depend on! In the WCF finals he was pretty much awful offensively. What good is it to defensively stop a team and then come down and miss all 12 shots in game 7? It's time for something new Ariza was never an option this year anyways. My opinion based on statistical data is that Ennis, Green, and hell even MCW can without a doubt fill in for Ariza with no dropoff. Am I wrong? Let's see it play out.. Morey isn't done yet and the rest of the gaps will get filled this Summer or at the trade deadline. Next year's Gerald Green off the wire? I wouldn't doubt it.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I didnt compare him to green.

3. today

today Contributing Member

YES, I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trev already has a buyout in mind =)

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I hope he finds that security but I do wish we could get him back! Ariza is definitely a key Cog in what Houston Does. If we can trade Ryno back for him in December I might have to fly back to Houston to just hug him and Morey!

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I love ariza but cmon he cant drive, he cant attack closeouts, cant dribble penetrate, and cant create, he definitely is not a very good fit for our offense, and, on top of all of that, cant shoot in playoffs at all lol

i get that he is a leader, a buddy and a positive guy but give him a coaching role or 5-15 mins off the bench...he has been crippling our offense for years now...

rockets1995 and Chamillionaire like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

10-man rotation:

Capela/Nene
    Melo/Anderson
    Tucker/Ennis/Green
    Harden/Gordon
    CP3

I still think we need a Luc-type player (versatility, defense and length). Is this the team Morey envisions knocking off Golden State? I guess one could make a case it's as good as last year's lineup ...IF Melo plays well and Ennis steps up. Maybe it's there; I'm just not there yet. I still don't understand not bringing back Luc. But IN MOREY WE TRUST.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  7. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

2017 GP MIN PTS FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3P% FTM FTA FT%
    Ariza 67 33.9 11.7 4 9.7 41.2 2.5 6.9 36.8 1.1 1.3 85.4
    Green 41 22.7 12.1 4.1 10.1 40.7 2.7 7.3 36.9 1.2 1.5 85
    Not that much better. I don't see the data to argue that Green's total game will match Ariza's given they are close offensively, but Ariza is the superior defender and has more and higher level playoff experience. Green is one of my favorite players, however, so I would love for him to prove me wrong.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

But, the one article I read said we had gotten worse. :confused:

9. thekad

thekad Member

Dumb thread, but MCW really is an underrated signing. He’s gonna be very good in the Rockets system.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

We have no chance.

11. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My dream, but somewhat realistic, scenario is a roster that looks like this.

PG: Paul / MCW / Melton
    SG: Harden / Gordon /
    SF: Bazemore / Ennis / Green
    PF: Tucker / Melo / Zhou
    C: Capela / Nene / Hartenstein

14 Player roster for flexibility and financials.
    -2 Way Contracts: Vincent Edwards / Gary Clark
    -Sign Melo
    -Trade Anderson/Nanu for Bazemore (hopefully)

Role Replace....
    Ariza => Bazemore
    Moute => Ennis
    Anderson => Melo

That would give the Rockets 8 playoff rotation worthy players with the starters + Gordon/Ennis/Melo.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Right... i want Anderson gone!

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, I love this response to my post. The response is not "we have Bazemore" but rather "I want Anderson gone!"

LOL!

I agree.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

A bench featuring Melo and Gordon is bananas too. We would wreck havoc!

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

got traded for Rudy Gay?

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We lost 2/3 of our best wing defenders, though luc May have never been the same after the shoulder so maybe didn’t miss out in that sense. I don’t think we got as bad as people are saying, but we did take a step back

20. andersongo

andersongo Member

Damn....However, I do believe that the Rockets can continue to improve as long as they have D'Antoni around. The man is a basketball genius far ahead of his time. He can always make the whole be better than the sum of its parts in novel ways.