1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quick Lebron Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ratman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wait wut? Duhrat never showed one serious hint of wanting to goto Houston.

2. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I don't think opting in and meeting with clubs are mutually exclusive. He can opt-in enabling the Cavs to have more leverage in trade negotiations as it requires less machinations from other clubs to absorb LBJ's salary (although as mentioned in today's ESPN piece it's effectively a negligible difference in year 1).

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

If he opts in, he is no longer a free agent, so he can't "officially" meet with other teams because that would be tampering.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Put me down as someone who doesn't believe an Opt-in decision negates the ability for the player to tour possible opt-in and trade destinations...especially Lebron with a no-trade clause.

Aside from the OK by the league for players to talk, keep in mind that GMs can always talk about trades of signed players. Lebron doesn't have to forego opt-in and trade talks just because he's not yet a FA.

If any GM calls CLE with an opt-in idea, there is nothing preventing CLE from giving the OK to speak to Lebron about his willingness to waive his no-trade clause, and for them to give him their pitch.

This is no different than teams working out trades prior to the deadline for disgruntled stars who's contract will expire at end of the year. To properly assess their offer, they will want to have assurance from the player regarding willingness to re-sign with them post-trade. And the current team will want to grant that access to the player, because any assurance will lead to ability to ask for more in trade.

5. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

My bad, I'm wrong. To be clear I simply (though executed it poorly) meant to suggest an opt-in doesn't mean anything for our chances that it doesn't mean for anyone else.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Valid point.

If he doesn't opt in then the likelihood of coming to Houston goes way down.

If he does opt in, then all options are still open to him.

That is assuming that Cleveland is willing to participate but why wouldn't they? If he says that he's definitely leaving then they could agree to trade him to wherever he likes as long as they get some compensation and don't have to take back salary. That's got to be better than losing him for nothing.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because we went 41-41 and got swept by the Warriors in the first round. Why would he even give us a meeting? If it weren't for that garbage season Durant would have considered playing with his friend here.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's a bit of a stretch.

Also you could say that Dwight's feuding with Harden set off a chain of events that one, got us a new coach and two, got us a second star to share the backcourt responsibilities with Harden.

Also, if you think of it that way the signing and ultimate feuding could have led to us signing (or trading for) Lebron in the end.

9. heypartner

Further (per Pelton/ESPN), Lebron's opt-in salary actually exceeds the max salary that he can sign for, due to his raise percentage out-performing the increase in the salary cap. So, technically, he makes more by opting-in....a little.

Here's a thought: We all keep assuming the Opt-In must occur as part of a trade. I wonder if the relationship with CLE is honest and mutually-respectful enough that CLE will promise to trade him later in the summer, if he opts-in; that is, they ask Lebron for more more time to get the best deal...which requires him doing the opt-in, vs hard-capping teams in SnTs....but they promise to do a trade that he will OK, and he trusts them???

Man, that could have an extraordinary ripple effect throughout the Free Agent market whereby many teams postpone signings until CLE chooses who to trade Lebron to.

lulz, only Lebron!!

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm thinking this is exactly what happens. But this requires Lebron to be recruited by players not officially by other teams. So maybe not.

11. heypartner

why? as I said in my first post in this thread, GMs of other teams are allowed to talk to signed players during trade talks if granted access to them by Cleveland. The tampering rules do not prevent GMs from inviting other teams to talk to their players.

Goes something like this:

Popovich (as an example): ring-ring "Hi Koby, sorry about you loss, man I hate Scott Foster. But enough of the pleasantries. I'll give you anything except Kawhi for Lebron. I think we can outbid everyone, and sell Lebron on the deal, but I'll need to talk to him to present our ideas."

Koby Altman: "Whatever you want Pops. I'll ask Lebron, if he wants to talk to you. Hey, do you think you could get me a job in the organization, too?"​

#31 heypartner, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    ghettocheeze likes this.
  12. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

He'll definitely meet with Popovich. He has so much respect for him. Whether he decides to sign with Spurs, who knows. Btw, Teams management can always ask their own players to recruit for them. Nothing against that before July 1st. After July 1st, management can contact free agents directly.

13. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

If Lebron opted into his contract. It doesn't mean a guarantee lock for rockets. It just means Lebron has no interest to LA.

Many teams like Celtics, rox, Spurs...and lesser degree Philly could all benefit from getting Lebron.

LA is basically the only team that can flat out sign him as FA.

Heck Lebron could also opt in and trade to LA, but it wouldn't benefit LA as much as we.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Philly can as well.

15. PatBev

PatBev Member

So if he isnt opt-in by June 29th we are pretty muched ****ed?

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

Yep

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Really? I didn't know this. Has there been an example of this happening before?

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No chance it happens this way because you are giving Cleveland power to negotiate with multiple teams. Why would Lebron do that? Even giving them a list he'd accept of 2-3 and then going to whoever gives Cleveland the most is stupid.

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

ppl here don't realize that Lebron is a huge diva. He's gonna want to to meet with all these teams and get the "king" treatment.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

No his ass wont if he wants to be a Rocket

If he's really about those rings he'll do it asap so Harden/James/CP3 can get that list of FA lining up to join on the cheap for July 1st

ryano2009 likes this.