1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Star Wars: Han Solo Origin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 9, 2016.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It was good.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It was fine. Still no reason at all this was made other than cash-grab purposes, but it was fine.

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It was ok. I got confused with the timeline towards the end ... but after some research it fits. Glover was pretty damn convincing as Lando. little slow to start but picks up nicely. 7.5/10

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

I liked it.

5. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Thumbs up from me, fun movie with lots of action..

mikol13 likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Gotta update, has fallen to a 6.4/10 with 60% audience hater factor. With only 46% of the audience liking The Last Jedi, and 60% liking this movie, I don't understand why they continue to make tons of cash. I guess people go see them to dislike them or inversely, to "go after the haters"

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

i still go see star wars movies because of how much i enjoyed the original trilogy (mainly return of the jedi) and the prequels came out when i was in middle school so i enjoyed it, so i guess i was the target market. but this new trilogy is a roller coaster, from force awakens to last jedi... what a huge difference.

i may stop paying to see star wars movies after episode 9. i'll stream these solos because no jedis, no interested.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-weekend-box-office-1202397848/

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Absolutely hated Episode VIII and went into this thinking it would be meh, but me and friends absolutely loved it.

Ehrenreich is doing a good job, Glover is awesome and the whole movie just gave me the Star Wars feeling that Episode VIII and partially Rogue One lacked.

The ending was awesome, either the Obi-Wan one will directly tie-in (makes a ton of sense) or Han is getting a sequel.

Not sure about the bad ratings, I assume many bad ratings are due to it becoming trendy to hate on the franchise because of the bad EP VIII. Hope it picks up a bit more steam at the box offices, would deserve it.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Really enjoyed this movie. With the exception of a black-hole-space-creature scene, it felt grounded and "realistic' (special effects notwithstanding).

A shame so few people (by Star Wars standards) are seeing it.

mikol13 and Yung-T like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I guess just speaking for myself, I feel saturated with that universe. I believe you and @Yung-T but I'll probably wait to watch it on a flight or something.

I know comic book movies are even more frequent, but those tend to offer up a wide variety of tones and characters (everything from Antman silliness to old man Logan drama).

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this one, might be my favorite since Disney bought Lucasfilm (or since the original trilogy for that matter).

Yung-T likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

I liked the movie. I'd give it at least a B.

Was concerned about the fact that Lando not only loves robots, but one that is both female and has a dick-saw. So that was weird.

Would have preferred the Kessel run proved what a great pilot he is because I didn't walk away with knowing why he's a great pilot or seeing it really.

Didn't think Solo would have been in love. So for me, his story is better without the love story. I liked the actor, but would have liked more of the Han solo demo'd in the original movie. His name origin wasn't very good.

Didn't see the ending coming. So thought the twists and turns were good, but nothing groundbreaking.

Overall the chracters needed a little more dimension, but thought Woody Harrelson was very good. Chewbacca very good. Solo good, but not great.

Milennium Falcon was very good, but how does it lose it's front?

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Saw it over the weekend. This is by far the earliest I've seen any of the new films. The theater was half empty. Weird.

I didn't read any reviews and frankly had no idea what the movie was even going to be about until I sat down in the theater. After TFA, I decided to ignore all the hype and just go in to each movie cold. It makes the experience much more enjoyable, frankly.

I thought the guy playing Han really nailed down a lot of his mannerisms. I definitely felt like I was watching Han Solo (even though he kind of gave off a Leo Decaprio vibe every now and then). Same goes for Lando. I've never seen GOT or that Terminator movie, so I enjoyed the female.

I wish they would have had featured a little bit more of the Empire, though.

After the movie ended, one of my 6 year old boys yelled "that was AWESOME!" and everyone on my row laughed. That was good enough for me.

It was originally an escape pod and they launched it while they were trying to get away from that black hole, I think

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's really all that matters.

Haven't seen it yet. I think I'll wait to Redbox it. Movie trips for me and wife are few and far between; I'd probably rather see Infinity War for a 2nd time or Deadpool 2.

I hope it's good! I don't really care if it "feels" like old Star Wars or if it's something totally different; I just want it to be good.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

This movie was a lot of fun. The Han-Chewy-Lando dynamic here really worked and had a lot of old school Star Wars feel. All the actors were solid, Glover was a natural as Lando.

mikol13 and Yung-T like this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I really enjoyed this one. I was pleasantly surprised.

I think the poor box office showing has everything to do with the fan reaction to The Last Jedi...but Rian Johnson was nowhere near this film, clearly.

mikol13, plutoblue11 and Yung-T like this.
  18. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Pretty good, better than the new saga but not better than any other star wars movie. The guy who played Han was okay, but he's signed for three films? Donald Glover was great, the story was cool, but I think it lacked more connectivity to the rest of the star wars universe. I didn't like how he got his name and there wasn't a moment in which I was convinced this was Han Solo.

When I was child and watched the original movies there are things that I thought I'd never see. Below is a list of some of them and I'm glad to have been able to see them.

Anakin Skywalker
    Luke and Leah's momma
    The Clone Wars
    Obi Wan Kenobi be a badass with a lightsaber
    The Spies who stole the plans to the Death Star
    The Kessel Run

Yung-T likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The milk has gone dry.

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think it has more to do with SW fatigue. Seems like there's a new movie coming out every 6 months.

plutoblue11 likes this.