1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Cosby Blasts Black Parents...Again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Jul 2, 2004.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The article explains exactly how they're connected. Because of Cosby's role as a "public moralist" a judge unsealed his 2005 depositions where he admits he got sedatives to use on women. That deposition was a major factor in the trial that got him convicted.

amaru likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not disagreeing they aren't legally connected

I'm saying him being a rapist has nothing to do with his work as an educator in a mental sense

I hadn't read the entire post about the judge. I thought you were saying something else

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Like white on rice Dr. Cosby was dedicated to improving rape medication for his clients.

amaru likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ill take the Rapists for $200

amaru likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Deposition was very damaging.
    His Lawyer kept it from being more damaging.

He said he got the pills to give to women . . . who he wanted to have sex with.
    Because the lawyer was doing their job . . . .it was not clear if he slipped them a micky or just offered them to them
    One is Inhumanly horrible. . .the other is just plain horrible (Like the guy trying to get a girl drunk to have sex with them)

Either Way Coz knew he need some help closing these women . . . and manufactured consent through artificial means

His High moralization did not help . . . it put alot of distance between him and the community
    He lost alot of support and people were actually IMO a bit happy he was being taken down a peg

QUESTION: Does he get more time than the Serial Killer Rapist Ex Cop?
    I actually think he does. . . . .

Rocket River

amaru likes this.
  6. amaru

amaru Member

As well as adultery and multiple counts of rape.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not saying his education work is some good will that overrides the misdeeds

All I'm saying is one has nothing to do with the other

You guys project people's posts too much

AirPower likes this.
  8. Houston112

Houston112 Member

9. AirPower

AirPower Member

FYI- as far as I can tell, you're posts seem pretty clear, understood what you were saying the first time you mentioned the two not being connected.

I also agree, they are unrelated. The bad things he did do not change the good things he did, and vice versa. He will be punished for the bad things he did, and hopefully the good things will continue to have a positive impact.

pgabriel likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not familiar with any work of his as an educator. There are his comments in the OP of this thread where he gave a speech about how blacks need to try harder. I wouldn't consider that educator work. I'd call that thought leadership -- that he's trying to influence the public discourse and move public opinion. Which is all fine and good. But your effectiveness in advancing your point of view in the public discourse absolutely does depend on your credibility as a vehicle for communicating that point of view. What Cosby had said then was salient because he was a black man, he found success and respect, and he embodied the things that he advocated -- educated, well-spoken, hard working, moral, law abiding. Except now he doesn't embody all of those things. He isn't law abiding and he isn't moral. He might have had some insight on the truth, but he can't be a spokesperson now because he couldn't practice what he preached. In my opinion, he has embodied the reason his criticisms of the black community were unfair -- that it's not so easy to just will yourself to be a better person.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If an engineer designed the most awesome bridge and then went to jail for rape the bridge is still there

Not disagreeing with your post. Cosby's pursuit of a doctorate isn't about leadership because it's in education.

His role as role model definitely is over. But his work will remain. If it's valuable don't throw baby out with bath water

The kids who learned something from Fat Albert or Picture Page still learned something.

It's neither here nor there.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I watched Fat Albert, though I don't remember it really anymore. Maybe I learned something. I probably learned stuff from watching the Cosby show too about how to live my life. Sure. I don't know if it needs asserting. The OP on this thread though is about his comments on black society though, which is a different thing. If you just want to plant your flag on Fat Albert, I'll give you that.

I grew up listening to an Australian folk singer named Rolf Harris. Something my grandmother picked up, and it turned out to be a great pastime to sing Rolf Harris songs on long roadtrips. When my kids were toddlers, I'd use them for lullabys. Then he got convicted for sexually assaulting children. Then he wrote a song in prison to insult his victims. Can't really hear his songs the same way anymore. Still good for roadtrips though.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I wasn't responding to the original post.

It's a 14 year old thread bro

JuanValdez likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's a Rapist.