1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recent Additions: Getting an early start on 2018 Free Agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 15, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would be awesome.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Fantastic! You must have lost your thread starting privileges .... (thank you mods)!

Daddy Long Legs, Deuce, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I was watching one of these debate shows Wednesday morning. It was Valentines Day so the regular
    hosts were off. Either First Take (ESPN) or Undisputed (FS1). Squirrelly guy said he knew for a fact,
    with inside information that LeBron definitely would not sign with Houston.

He claimed the main reason was because of the shoe brands. LeBron and Nike vs Harden and Adidas.
    That LeBron would not join the Rockets and make them better, and allow Harden/Adidas to profit
    from the union. I’m out of touch with the times.....didn’t know the shoe wars was such a big deal.

I would think LeBron and Nike would like to tap into the China market with the Houston Rockets being
    one of top sellers in China. But what do I know. Anyway I think LeBron will stay in Cleveland now
    since they reset the roster with younger players. I felt like LeBron would stay with Cavs before
    hearing that LA market guy pushing the shoe theory. Hope Houston can get the next man up on
    thefree agency PF upgrade chart. For what it’s worth, Aaron Gordon signed a deal with Nike
    in 2014. Geez!! I’m guessing he wouldn’t mind tapping into the China market.

#23 ApacheWarrior, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    D-rock and BamBam like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I was really excited to see some traction on my thread. And then got crestfallen to see that half of the posts are from ballscientist and his drivel. :(

As for re-signing guys, we can't just assume "player X isnt going to take the minimum." Every player has different motivations. David West took less to play for a title with the Spurs and Warriors.

I think what the team is BUILDING right now, the culture, is something players want to be part of and are willing to take less to be a part of it.

So, to restate, by getting some of these guys now and showing them where they fit on the team and let them experience first hand what the team is building, when FA rolls around, they might be willing to take less to stay with this team and brotherhood.

D-rock and bilaal14 like this.
  5. ballscientist1

Every team will budget for $180 million or less next season

1. Cavs dump George Hill or JR Smith contracts (dump one contract only) for nothing.

George Hill 19 million remaining
    Smith 18 million remaining.

After LeBron get supermax and sign Hood starting salary at 14 million, Cavs total salaries/tax is $170 million (repeater tax), add reserves $180 million

2. Rockets let Capela go for nothing and give Paul, Ariza,, LMM and Wright fair contracts

Rockets salary: $180 million.

3. Thunder dump Melo for nothing.

#25 ballscientist1, Feb 16, 2018
  6. ballscientist1

I am interested in this question: Who would you pick if you have only one option?

A: Capela 24 million starting salary (23 yrs old)
    B: Luc Mbah a Mout, Gerald Green, Brandan Wright, Ariza.

Ariza 8M
    Luc 8M
    Wright 5M
    Green 3M

Total 24M

same money different option

7. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

Too many moves have to be made to extrapolate potential signings. It may sound crazy but I don't want LeBron .I'd rather sign PG and retain everyone else.

8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Going to be tough to bring everyone back.

I think it depends on the fact if we can add a third star or not.

Because if we can, then we will have plenty of ring chasers to sign for the min.

If not, then it might be a litter harder.

My MLE target is JJ Redick. Lets see if that comes true.

D-rock likes this.
  9. ballscientist1

Underpaying Lou Williams could kill Rockets future.

Clippers could give Capela starting salary at 22 million offer sheet after dumping 1 or 2 small expiring contracts.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/LAC.html

Will Morey match the offer sheet???

Match it! Salary + tax = 250 million

Budget 180 million.

#29 ballscientist1, Feb 16, 2018
  10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Rockets will not let Capela walk for free.

You don't do that to a 23 year-old with tremendous upside. Morey will find a way to trade him if he decides the price is too high. I'm sure Morey is in his office right now working precisely on such scenarios in between his binge eating marathons.

D-rock likes this.
  11. ballscientist1

Good point!
    Trying to steal a good restricted FA, you have no choices but overpay him the first year salary.

Battling with Mark Cuban and Steve Balmer who don't need to pay luxury taxes.

It would be crazy if Capela gets 4 yrs 94 million contract like Harrison Barnes. (starting salary at 27 million)

If I were Morey, I would keep Capela and let Ariza, LMM, Green and Wright go for nothing.

Why?

If not, Rockets are too old between 2020 and 2023.

#31 ballscientist1, Feb 16, 2018
  12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Get off the gas and go read the salary cap forecast.
    This is the best year for the Rockets for Capela to become a FA.

$16 mil MAX.

He wont get anything more.

Daddy Long Legs, D-rock and Deuce like this.
  13. ballscientist1

Forecast is wrong.

Andre Igoudala

Forecast $8 million a year,

Gets contract 16 million a year

14. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Duly noted. Lets see who is right.

Daddy Long Legs and D-rock like this.
  15. ballscientist1

If Chris Paul wins the award of all-nba third team, he gets supermax contract at $35.8 million first year.

then add Vet Min reserves 5M for 3 players

Rockets are in the luxury tax land.

It is all taxable for

Capela: 16M

Ariza: 8M

LMM 8M

Total: 153 million plus luxury tax 97 million = 250 million next season

Iso Joe, Green and Wright go for nothing.

16. ballscientist1

ESPN link:

308 .1 million next season: are you scary??

2018-19 Cavaliers payroll + tax projection
    PLAYER SALARY
    LeBron James $35,607,968
    Kevin Love $24,119,025
    George Hill $19,000,000
    Tristan Thompson $17,469,565
    JR Smith $14,720,000
    Jordan Clarkson $12,500,000
    Rodney Hood $12,000,000*
    Kyle Korver $7,560,000
    Cedi Osman $2,775,000
    Larry Nance Jr. $2,272,391
    Ante Zizic $1,952,760
    First-round pick - BKN $4,403,280
    Free agent: minimum $1,499,698
    Salaries $158.9 million
    Luxury tax
    $149.2 million
    Total
    $308.1 million

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22420673/cavaliers-face-300-million-dollar-future-espn

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

stop spamming my thread ballscientist

bilaal14, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  18. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

People should just not reply to him. I think any plan is going to have to include LMM at the taxpayer MLE. He is just too important a piece of the rotation. After that I think you have to hope that Green is willing to roll with the minimum and maybe Wright and Johnson feel a sense of attachment. Outside of attempting to trade for LBJ I don't see us making many outside moves. We kind of completed our roster before getting the last star so that helps a lot with a deep bench. If we get LBJ and lose EGo or Tucker with Anderson that opens up a lot of playing time for Green/Johnson. It also helps that we have bird rights over all but a couple of players.

D-rock likes this.
  19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind the Rockets will have Non-Bird rights on each of those guys, which would allow them to offer up to 120% of their respective vet minimum salaries.

Splitting the Taxpayer MLE would pay each of them little more than the vet minimum.

Deuce, D-rock and rockbox like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm offering the full taxpayer MLE to Luc, he's the only free agent that actually matters. The others guys are nice, but very replaceable.

We have Ariza's bird rights, so it's pretty much pay him or lose him for nothing. He's clearly lost a step, although he's still an important player. That's gonna be a tough call to make for the FO.

If I'm not mistaken, offering anything more than the taxpayer MLE means we face the hard cap, and I can't imagine that even being a realistic possibility next season even if we don't add a LBJ.