1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Upgrading the SF/PF rotation - Trade options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ilias, Nov 20, 2017.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I can't believe San Antonio let Simmons go for so little. I guess they didn't need him with Kawhi, Green, and Gay in the fold. But his contract is such good value.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I don't want to trade any of our players for any of those players.

3. photojoe

photojoe Member

Honestly, I like our forward rotation of Ariza/Anderson/Tucker/Luc. I wish Troy Williams would get some playing time to try to keep the minutes down for those guys.

No, it doesn't have star power.

But it has depth and versatility and works well with where we DO have star power- our guards.

If there was a trade that was a clear upgrade (ie... most definitely not Tucker and filler for Mirotic..lol) then sure, go for it. But not giving up what we have for any of those guys.

saleem likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Carroll is playing better than last year. He brings the size to play a lot at the 4. The problem is that to acquire him, you will need to move Ryan Anderson and it is debatable that such a trade would happen. He would help the Rockets at the 4 though.

I don't think the Rockets have much interest, and again to get him, the Rockets have to move Anderson.

Meh.

A terrible defender than also tends to be a ball stopper.

He would break our rotation but the cost to get him would be high. He also does not handle defensive pressure well.

Joe Johnson is arguably as good a defender as Ariza. He is very strong and long, with a high basketball IQ. He can guard 3 spots and play extended minutes at the 4. If he is bought out by the Jazz; I am sure the Rockets would do everything possible to get him. He fits the Rockets needs very well. Again, trading for him is hard with our salary structure.

He isn't a defensive upgrade over Anderson. Mirotic is a fundamentally terrible defender. He is beaten on the perimeter because he reaches too often and has poor instincts. In the post he lacks the athleticism to prevent post players. He is a bad team defender as well. People can rip Anderson's defense, but he communicates well, he is quick enough to switch and he overall has a good grasp of the team defensive concept. In the post he can be exploited, but he battles.

Offensively Anderson is clearly better as well.

Mirotic is a problem in the locker room, he tends to have issues focusing and he just isn't a very smart player.

Adding him would improve the Rockets. He is an "okay" three point shooter, but is an excellent defender.

Realistic options for the Rockets include..... Luke Babbitt, Marco Belinelli, Troy Daniels (letting Harden to shift to the 3/4), Jared Dudley (he makes a lot), Mike Scott and Miza Teletovic (again money is an issue).

The reality is that the Rockets are going to want payroll flexibility next year so a lot of options are out. Also, the main piece Houston has to move is Anderson. He is hard to move because of the number of years on his deal, and the reality is he fits the Rockets better than just about anywhere else. Also the Rockets are looking to win now; so if they move Anderson it has to be for a player they like better and is also realistic. DeMarre Carroll is that type of player, but not sure Houston or the Raptors make the move.

5. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Why are we talking about this

DonKnock and Fullcourt like this.
  6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Because there is no thread to talk about random trades

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need better post and perimeter D, and some creative scoring inside the paint plus additional shooting, to be absolutely elite. without giving up too much. This is not possible. As Nook correctly pointed out, getting Joe Johnson after a possible buyout is the only realistic addition that Morey can make. Troy Daniels isn't going to come cheap either. I would hate to see something stupid like Zhou being moved for a small part time player, eg Daniels, or a similar player.

8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't deserve it's own thread.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Nook, spot on. Joe Johnson is the guy I have been targeting if there is a buy out. I could see it happening if Utah falls out of the playoff picture.
    JJ checks all of the boxes. Basically is a "carmelo lite" but with no chemistry concerns or salary problems. I hope it happens.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

We will add player(s) through buy-out. I don't believe we want to trade anybody in the 10-man rotation. It's working nicely.

DonKnock and saleem like this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bad thread is bad.

Reeko and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ryan Anderson for Kevin Durant?

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

Only if they include 2 future second round picks.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Nikola Mirotic is a shithead. Period. End of discussion.

Clown Baby and Normalus like this.
  16. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

I don't necessarily think the team needs an upgrade, but you can never have enough 6'8" dudes that can defend and shoot against the Warriors. Being able to throw a bunch of these guys at KD, Klay, and Steph (whenever CP3 is out) is necessary for any chance at an upset. I could see Morey trying to get someone like James Ennis, a UFA at the end of the year on a team that may be sellers at the deadline, that is athletic, can shoot, and defend. Guys like James Posey and Mickaël Piétrus have proven to be ultra valuable for teams with championship aspirations over the past 10 years.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Simmons would be the only upgrade here.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

At 7-10, they aren't out. Nobody is this early. But its not an encouraging start. Wait and see.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd take any of those listed players over Anderson for defensive purposes, that being said, none of those teams would trade those players for Anderson, so we are stuck with what we got.

20. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member