1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democratic Senator Al Franken - Sex Accusations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

I may be getting the 2 confused, but are you mixing up the Original and Redux? The latter has much more of the Playboy/helicopter scene iirc. I don't recall anything untoward in the first (or the 2nd, but it's been a while and I've only seen it once or twice).

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It’s is all about ... what about.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Both have that scene where they are playing Suzie Q and then the guys start jumping on the stage. Redux has the extended scene where Frederic Forrest and Sam Bottoms are talking to the 2 Playboy bunnies

4. Buck Turgidson

Are you familiar with USO shows in a warzone? I'm not sure I understand your point bringing that movie up in this context.

5. dandorotik

I didn’t bring it up. Other guy did. Point is, the show started getting out of hand and they had to get out. The implication was that these men might try to do more than watch these women.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am all for Trump stepping down if a sexual assault allegation is confirmed. From my perspective I see a bunch of untrue things written about him regularly so it would be tough for me to think I could decipher truth from fiction with so much on the line.

I can definitely see how many would be ready to say those accusations are truthful and that's ok.

I am not calling for Franken to step either but that time could possibly come just like with Trump. The political situation in our country is extra fluid right now.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hope none of these guys have to deal with false allegations.

I got accused of sexual harassment at a new job where I was clearly having trouble fitting in.

I walked in one day and I was asked to sign a piece of paper saying someone that I never found out whom it was said i lookied at them inappropriately.

I signed it but after sleeping on it I told them the next day I didn't think it was right and brother is a lawyer and I would get him involved if need be. I can honestly I wasn't attached to any of the women there. I have no idea to this day of which ugly ass chic accused me.

I never heard about it again. (Never was only a year but still)

I need to see real ass proof of real ass harassment before I engage any allegations.

Since my days at Astroworld I have always been mindful of harassment at work

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Franken apologizing was a gracious courtesy not a necessity cause he isn't admitting to anything and he shouldn't if he doesn't believe he did anything wrong

This really is beginning to be like the Salem Witch Trials.

This is happening with race and now sex. Ohhhh she claimed harassment ohh we ca.nt challenge that. You must don't respect women

WTF ever

#228 pgabriel, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

/That happened

10. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t really care much about “Senator” Franken. However the issues of inappropriate dealings go well beyond being caught on tape saying “Grab them by the p***y.”

15 women have accused Trump of sexual misconduct including physical assault. His own wife accused him of rape for over 20 years until walking it back.

The sheer number of women and diversity of allegations is startling. A number of women (almost always young women) have claimed he forcefully kissed them. Which makes sense because Trump did say he “Just kisses them without waiting.”

Ultimately he is a terrible person in just about every measurable way.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

One of those 15 allegations includes groping at a public event.

I mean you throw that number out like that happened over time when nobody said anything till that tape where he is clearly joking and none have been proven.

So what, if none are proven 15 might as well be one

The only thing Franken has on Trump is being gracious towards the accuser

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I had this conversation with a friend today on this topic. The issue is Trump is a billionaire businessman who is very open about his affection towards women. When you have insignificant women accusing Trump of accusations, they are viewed as people who are trying to find a way to get something off of a wealthy businessman. In other words, you need proof beyond accusations. This is why ol Bill Clinton pretty much escaped all of his accusers.

When you have hollywood elites accusing other hollywood elites of sexual misconduct, both sides have something to lose. This applies to politicians too.

That said, there is a huge difference between kissing a woman uninvited vs holding them against their will. Don't misconstrue that as I find this behavior acceptable. But with this logic, it would make most women victims and men as perpetrators. How many guys have gone in for that 'uninvited' kiss that the woman longs for?

13. dandorotik

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

This is why so many victims of sexual harassment and sexual assault are afraid to come forward... people automatically believe the rich and powerful and demand unreasonable levels of proof when in many cases it boils down to his word versus her word. When often times these assaults happen when there are no one around. Or if others are around, they're afraid to testify, or are paid off to keep quiet.

In Trump's case... at least 16 women, from all sorts of backgrounds. Including an ex-wife. And yet... people will accept and enable his behaviors by describing it as "locker room talk or bragging among men" or "a billionaire who is very open about his affection towards women". With a casual aside about not finding bad behavior acceptable. And no... we are not discussing most normal relationships between men and women. What Trump (and Moore and Franken) are being accused of isn't how men and women relate to each other.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

PGabriels post above almost feels like a confessional. Notice he has to, like Trump, state that the accusers weren’t attractive enough for him to assault or harass. Come on man.

I think us as men just need to come to grips with the fact that many of us have stepped out of line in our sexual persuits and attempts at humor in the past and learn from it, and maybe think about making an apology.

However there is certainly a difference in what many of us have likely done before in stepping out of line in pursuing a woman, and what we are seeing by some of the serial accusers. We need to be smart enough to have a conversation separating an Al Franken from a Roy Moore.

Al Franken was wrong and maybe his actions should result in him losing his seat (Although precedent from other cases in congress would point towards him staying in) but there is an ocean of difference in that situation and someone like Roy Moore and 14 year old girls. I only ask that we treat these as seperate situations, but that’s probably asking too much in this hyper partisan environment.

Also the most important issue surrounding this is the change in men’s behavior and that’s why Trump and Moore are brought up so much. Listen to Sara Sanders yesterday explain that because Trump denied it, shamed the accusers, threatened to sue, etc that he should be given a pass and because Franken did the right thing he should have fire and brimstone showered upon him and the Democratic Party.

THIS is what is wrong here guys. What does this say about our culture when the senior most leader in our country is telling men young and old the formula for getting away with sexual assault? We already know that Trump feels fighting on the unpopular side of a cultural war is what helps him keep his base politically. This is one situation where his base better be loud and clear that his position isn’t right and the culture needs to change.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lmao at dobro's long winded rationalization of how Franken isn't all that bad.

bro - keep your posts shorter - the long posts just serve to show that you're defensive and don't have an answer. If you were confident about your position, you wouldn't have to ramble on and on trying to justify things...

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump is currently being sued by an ex Apprentice
    Summer Zervo for defamation. She is suing only for her legal costs and is unwilling to settle. Trump will get deposed under oath, which is scaring his handlers sh*tless. Trump lies even when he does not have to; he appears that he can’t help himself. If Trump then gets the same treatment that Clinton got for lying in the Paula Jones trial ...

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

As usual, not even honest about the post directly above you. His exact words:

Contrast that with your views on Moore and Trump. But again, you choose to be a troll, a caricature. So no surprise.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Comrade! Glad to see you have an opinion on fully fledged thoughts. Maybe you need some pictures to keep your interest since you don’t read so good.

Also if you could read, youd see the part where I mention Franken’s actions potentially costing him his seat.

But you need that false equivalence to win your fantasy league D&D sport so go for it. Lump Al Franken in with Charles Manson and Ed Gein if you want to. I don’t give a crap about playing your game. Go get your RT talking points and leave the rest of us the hell alone.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You're very biased. You deleted the long winded part where he then rationalized the actions as "not being that bad" when compared to others. I believe the words he used were "ocean of difference".