1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Once CP3 is back we might lose a few

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by riko, Nov 12, 2017.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I want CP3 to come in and play his game. Just because the Rockets chuck from 3 doesn't mean CP3 should do the same. Look at Livingston on the Warriors; He only operates in the midrange. Warriors can shoot 3's all day and Livingston will continue to shoot 2s.

Soneca likes this.
  2. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Little too late for that. When Paul's in, we'll see a lot more trapping defense and some real SSOL offense. He will push the pace, he will aggressively go for steals. I'm excited.

I really wish he'd play tonight. We need an extra body on a b2b. Even the Grizz announcers were stunned to see us play our rotation so late with a game in Indiana, the night after. We lose an hour, with that.

SIL

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Who’s the odd man out of the rotation once Paul is back?

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

CP3 definitely just needs to play his own game. Him running to the 3pt line when he has the lane for a pull-up mid-range jumper, especially on the fast break and off the ball just standing around would be a waste of his talents!! Somehow I see him being ineffective though in the beginning, in particular because Gordon is used to starting and has developed a chemistry with Harden. That's why to me it's not the worst idea to bring CP3 off the bench for the first few games. Pride and ego can go to hell, do what's best for the team.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

only if its okay with CP3 I won't mind this line up

1st unit:
    Clint, RA, TA, Ego, Beard

off the bench:
    Cp3, Tucker, LMM, Nene

then we can end games with (depending on who's playing good):
    Clint/Nene
    PJ/TA/LMM
    Ego/RA
    Beard
    Cp3

BTW where's troy? can Morey and MDA find a way to play him or black some minutes if not replace them with someone who can actually play some minutes?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think that's right.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not really anyone. It's not like Luc and PJ will be benched, or Capela won't have a backup. We have 9-man rotation when everyone is healthy.

That said, I do see Capela's minutes increasing to over 30 per, once we have a HOF PG on the court at all times. I could see the backup center used much less frequently, by having Capela play more and featuring a center-less lineup more when he sits. So, I do foresee many games when the backup center gets 10 or less minutes, assuming the plan is for Capela to play more once there is an elite PnR PG on the court at all times.

RasaqBoi and DonKnock like this.
  8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Exactly lol

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Did you realize, the first 3 sentences rhymed?

10. heypartner

Keep in mind Capela's rest minutes and when they come.

If CP3 starts, we maximize the amount of minutes where Capela is playing with two HOF PGs at the same time, both with the deadly ability to give Capela lobs.

Not to say starting EGo doesn't have advantages, too. Just that heading into the season, we all wanted to see what would happen when Capela has two PGs on the court with him at the same time. Starting CP3 maximizes those minutes, due to the rest patterns of Capela.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why would Nene play less if he's awesome in the PnR?

12. Soneca

Soneca Member

I'm dying to see him back! A group of CP3-EGo-Harden-Ariza-CC can be perfect at both ends of the floor.

Against Warriors' death lineup we needed Ryan to be inserted on Capela's place on offense and PJ on defense, though. We'd have to go with Tucker, no doubt they'd rape Ryan on switches. His 30-plus feet threes were all we need at the other end, unfortunately. That Warriors lineup is just something without precedent, I'll always despise KD for beeing a weak ass and join them.

We still have a loooong season, let's enjoy the ride!! And yes, I'm guessing we may loose a few once Paul is back, I'd say five more games until April, 74-8 baby here we go!! :p

Houstunna likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

:eek:I GOT FIRE BARS!! LAY WITNESS TO MY IMPECCABLE CIPHER!

#33 DreamShook, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The only problem with CP3 is that his size kills our switch everything defense a bit. You often sees teams targeting him to get him to switch onto their big man and then they just abuse him in the paint.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

How did you know I was just kidding?

I could care less about MVP award.

Ozzy likes this.
  16. heypartner

Capela has two backups: another center (Nene/Black platoon system), or center-less lineups.

Right now, Capela still only averages 24-25 mpg. If that increases to 32 mpg, due to Paul providing a PnR running mate for Capela at all times, then something gets squeezed by 7-8 mpg: 1) the mpg of a center-less lineup (which happens to be providing very good defense, better once Paul plays too), or 2) the mpg of the back-up center.

So, it is not enough to say "Nene runs a good PnR", you have to measure his total production vs the center-less lineup. I foresee us always going to the center as first substitution for Capela in every game. But, some games, that sub might not get much more minutes, depending upon match-ups and what's working. For instance, I can see many games where a backup center gets zero minutes in the 4th Q, and other games where we have a center on the court at all times.

Houstunna likes this.
  17. amujiege

amujiege Member

We might, but we are ok.

18. awc713

awc713 Member

au contraire, we could also win a few

19. photojoe

photojoe Member

I couldn't disagree more.

It would be cool for Harden to win MVP, sure.

But we have the most talented and deepest team we have had in a long, long time.

I care about so much more than any just individual award

Ozzy, hakeem94 and count_dough-ku like this.
  20. solid

solid Contributing Member

As long as Gordon stays in the mix as a prominent player; he is lights out.

Pen15clubber likes this.