1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017 NFL Draft/1-12] Deshaun Watson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2017.

?

Do you like the decision to trade up & select Deshaun Watson?

1. Yes

90.8%
  2. No

9.2%
  1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Vince Young and Mark Sanchez arent in the top hundred in career passer ratings

They dont have super bowl rings. Russell Wilson did what his team needed

You"re punishing Wilson for doing what was asked of him. His overall passer rating says he couldn't do it much better.

Then you want to prop Moon up who played in a gimmick offense

Moon has more yards cause he played in the run and.shoot

You cant have it both ways

Edit: Seahawks were sub .500 before Wilson

#1941 pgabriel, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course they aren't, they are terrible QB's, but people at one time used the "just winz" argument to try and justify them as being good QB's.

.....okay, and if their teams were good enough to drag them to a SB win or two, would that mean they were good QB's all of a sudden? Of course, not, they'd be every bit as terrible as ever, which is why the "just winz" argument is really a concession of defeat.

I'm punishing him for not being as good of a passer as Warren Moon, an all time legend of the game. You are undeterred by the obvious fact that Wilson isn't as good a passer as Warren Moon so you try to make a case based on efficiency and "just winz" and I've pointed out the flaws in the logic for doing so already but you keep doing it anyway.

I want to "prop up" an all time legend in the game over a guy who is nothing more than a pretty good QB today....

If you really think that it shows just 2 things.

1. You are too young to know any better.
    2. You are absolutely hopeless when it comes to talking about NFL QB's.

Since there's really nothing you can do about either issue, we should probably stop discussing this here since there's no hope of it going anywhere productive.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bobby

Im on bus headed back from working in Florida and have nine hours to go

Youre not gonna win a stupid battle of attrition trying to make a stupid argument that the run and shoot doesn't produce more passing yards as opposed to an offense that featured Marshawn Lynch

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason the Seahawks won was due to relying on Lynch for the offense and letting the defense smash teams, you can't go "just winz" and give Wilson credit for what the run game and defense did and then take away what one of the greatest passers in NFL history did in his career. Warren Moon was a better passer at age 41 than Wilson will ever be.

You are simply setting him up to be run down when you compare him to people clearly better than he is. As in, there's literally no sane case for Wilson over Moon, at all. Before you say it, no your "just winz" and out of context efficiency stats argument is not a sane case for Wilson over Moon....but I understand that it's the best you could come up with.

I mean, going by your argument of QB rating being the end all, be all of QB play it means that Wilson is a better QB than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and everyone not named Aaron Rodgers.....do you seriously believe that or will you admit that your argument is horribly flawed?

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Sunday can't get here fast enough. Lol

red5rocket and pgabriel like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just won't buy an argument that would suggest that Phillip Rivers is a top 10 QB of all time and that Tony Romo is the 4th best QB of all time, better than Peyton Manning. It's just nonsensical.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Russell Wilson is definitely more than a “pretty good” QB. He’s easily a top 5 QB in the league right now. Arguably top 3. Come on now...

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Top5?
    Maybe top 10

Brady
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Ryan
    Big Ben
    Carr
    Stafford
    Newton

All above Wilson in my opinion

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Then you can go in to the Manning, un-injured Luck, Cousins type. I think he's somewhere in that range, really good qb but not up there with the big boys

10. Nook

Nook Member

Top 5 is very questionable.

Brady/Rodgers/Carr/Rothlisberger/Ryan/Brees all are clearly better than Wilson.

Wilson is pretty good and I would be thrilled if Watson was as good as him, but Wilson isn't top 5.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't mean it as an insult, what I meant was that when you talk about a guy like Wilson, you talk about him being one of the best QB's at the current time (you can argue his rank there if you like) and he's not even in the conversation all time. I'm basically just saying that if you are comparing him to guys like Brady, Peyton, Brees, Moon, Marino, or whatever, then you are setting him up to look bad.

Lance Berkman was a damn good Astro but if you were trying to compare him to Jeff Bagwell, you'd be just setting him up to look bad.....although Berkman does have the "ringz" argument, so maybe someone will try and stick up for him here with an argument that he was better than Jeff Bagwell. It wouldn't be a worse argument than Wilson over Moon.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Seattle was a 7-9 team before Russell Wilson.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Oilers had the fourth ranked defense in 1994 and home playoff game against KC after an 11 game winning streak

AND STILL COULDN'T MAKE THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

Let lone Super Bowl

#1953 pgabriel, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Shocker, team that wasn't completely built yet wasn't completely built.

They were also the 7th best defense in the NFL before Russell Wilson, they became by far the best defense in the NFL with Russell Wilson, clearly Russell Wilson is a great defensive player.

Also, with Russell Wilson instead of Tavaris Jackson, they scored an amazing 5 more points on the season than they did the season before when they were 7-9, clearly that was the 5 points that led to 4 more wins thus Russell Wilson just winz

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Their time of possession ranking went from 28th to 5th after drafting Wilson

That made them a complete ball control team

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are absolutely right, if only they had more "just winz"....or you know, if they had Warren Moon in 1994 it would have helped too.

That said, I know that you probably meant to say 1993 so I'll cut you some slack. If you look at that playoff game, you'll notice that Warren Moon was the lead rusher for the Oilers and almost the entire offense by himself.....and you are comparing that to a player who had the run game and the defense carry him. I hope you realize the flaw here.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's what happens when you have a super dominant defense and run game....not sure what you think Wilson had to do with it though. I mean, he was only throwing the ball like 24 times a game and 393 total attempts which was the least by any starting QB that played all 16 games....and it wasn't close. He was basically just there to hand the ball off.

I honestly don't know why you keep trying to argue this, it's complete insanity. Why don't we just start arguing that Lorenzo White was better than Earl Campbell while we're at it? I mean, it would make about as much sense.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thats what happens when you draft a quarterback who puts up triple digit ratings his first two seasons

#1958 pgabriel, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Russell Wilson's run game and defense doesn't carry him to the second highest career rating

Wilson operates the offense he was drafted in to perfection

Yardage doesn't win games. He is incredibly efficient. Thats why his rating is so high with mediocre yardage

And then there is his rushing which helps Lynch

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The reason Moon is only 60th in career rating despite yardage is interceptions. In 93 with the 12-4 team he had 21 tds and 21 picks

The reason Wilson's rating is so high is his incredibly high td to interception ratio

Moons defense carried him in 93 through a terrible interception season. 20 interceptions is unheard of any year in nfl history. Moon did it twice

There is your difference between a winner and a guy who is fun to watch

A quarterback's job is to take care of the ball

Not rack up yardage