1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy doesn't see a "natural fit" between Carmelo and the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

And there was a time when someone thought a banana and a boat was unnatural.

We get it. JVG is old school. Times have changed. **** a dollar and a dream.

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  2. mockster

mockster Member

I would still prefer those 3 guys then role players who get you no where

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

He loves the Rockets, Texans, and Astros. Talks about it all the time. Loves the city of Houston. I'm proud that he chooses to live here and supports the city so much on the national level.

4. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I've grown to like JV Gundy, but...

He needs to apologize for taking Rudy Tomjanovich's job.

tinman likes this.
  5. lionaire

lionaire Member

I respect his opinion. With that being said I don't agree with it and still want Melo on this team.

6. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Says the guy who ran his players into the ground with the most atrocious version of isolation offense ever put on a basketball floor. If Van Gundy was coaching the Warriors today, Curry would be on the bench for jacking up too many threes and not playing enough defense.

Plowman likes this.
  7. alethios

alethios Member

The ECF with the Knicks. He was famous for tackling Alonzo Mourning's legs.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I for one am just fine starting the year with Anderson. People b**** about him for the playoffs and it's true, he choked. But the value of a 6'10 guy that can hit 45%+ on open catch and shoot threes anywhere on the 3pt line--and that's what Anderson did until we gave him the green light to start taking those 30ft threes in the corner close to the out-of-bounds lines--remains extremely valuable.

Much more than the gutter trash the national media and other Rockets fans have purported him to be. Now I'm not saying that we might not be better swapping out Carmelo for him straight up. But Carmelo remains a risk and should be valued that way. If he can play defense again, and if he can shoot from the NBA three the way he did in the Olympics from the international three, then yes he'd be super valuable, but I don't believe there's any way he's going to prove that or be allowed to prove it as a Knick. If we go into the season with Ryno and just torch fools offensively, maybe his trade value will tick back up to what it should be, and the Knicks would be more willing to take him back plus some other nominal assets in exchange for Carmelo.

We just need to be patient.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he's a knick at heart and basically spoke from their POV

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

JVG is the biggest Houston fan. He's not hating, just his take. I also don't think the guy knows that well of an offense if you ask me. If you mixed Adelman / Gundy together = Best Coach Of All Time.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Hes a rockets fan deep inside. Hes just driving melos value down, forcing knicks to trade with us, giving the rox more leverage, and making sure morey doesnt over pay

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm not sure about that considering he said that perhaps our FO just views getting rid of ryno's contract as the real benefit of trading for melo :D

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

JVG is defense minded and Melo, not so much. Doesn't fit.

I don't like Melo, but with 2 SS that are clearly better players, I think it can work. And with GS firepower, you got to try it.

14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

JVG has a point regarding defense but if you can score 120 a game, maybe you don't have to be elite defensively.

YaoMing#1 likes this.
  15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

what he said is common sense. He's not the only analyst to say it.

16. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

This sh-z is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s

17. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Wow people bashing jvg. He is the best analyst there is. And it is not close.

It is not a natural fit. However we might make it work.

18. rocketseagles07

If you don't think jvg is a rockets fan you haven't been listening. That doesn't mean he should lie about his opinion to benefit us

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gundy is a GREAT defensive coach, with no clue on the offensive end. He also has personal issues with Melo that cloud his judgement. That said, he is a Houstonian through and through, assimilated into the Borg long ago..and I love him. There was a time when I couldn't wait for him to be gone as our coach. But, he is one of our Champions now.
    It will be Team USA ball out there, with a beautiful flow..."UNBEATABLE"...
    Melo will be better than fine here..

Snow Villiers likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how does saying that we might just want to get out from under ryno's contract fit in with "Hes just driving melos value down, forcing knicks to trade with us, giving the rox more leverage, and making sure morey doesnt over pay" o_O