1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo Deal starting all over according to Woj

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by khanhdum, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

LOL This offseason has been a roller coaster

2. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

I honestly don't see why any team would want to facilitate a Melo trade to us. Maybe if we were giving up some combo of Ariza/Capela/Gordon/ draft picks, but I can't see most NBA teams wanting an injury prone R.A. at his price for 3 more years.

We can reset the trade all we like, but we are going to have to give something to get something. Carmelo may want to be in Houston, but it doesn't mean that other teams are willing to bend over backwards and let N.Y., Houston, and Melo have their way with them in the dirtiest, most sweat-filled gang bang of all time, although only Melo, Mills, and Perry would be involved in the greasy, visceral action. Daryl Morey would be in the corner behind an old lamp with a clip-board taking notations on thrusts-per-minute and analyzing (pun intended) the advanced metrics of the gyrating performers. Now that is a "spread-sheet" I never want to view.

Long story short: Getting Melo is going to be trickier than we thought.

Artie_Fufkin, JD88, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  3. Bowlrips

Bowlrips Member

Your math is very wrong. Feel bad since looks like you put a lot of effort into this.
    C+

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

****show?

5. valorita

valorita Member

Is this where Mills has to press "start over" instead of "adjust trade"
    In the trade machine?

Because that would make a lot of sense.

Von Rafer, Pen15clubber and jch1911 like this.
  6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is dragging out more than it should. Someone has to want ryan. What other teams are considering helping us? I feel like one of our bigs will have to go to sweeten the deal at this point preferably Chinanu.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Agree.

Leslie can't pass the baton to his children (divorced). A lot of franchises usually has sons, or daughters to take the helm, Leslie has none. I totally understand the sale, but don't understand why it can't be done under wrap. Unless Leslie wants to sell at top price by announcing it.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

What is the math then?

The Knicks could stretch Carmelo's $54M over 3 seasons. Anderson is owed about $60M over 3 seasons or an average of about $20M per season. The vet minimum for a 1 year player is $1.3M and $1.7 for a 5 year vet, so let's call it $1.5M

Carmelo taking a $45M buyout would mean he would be stretched at $15M per year over the next 3 seasons and the Knicks would get very little offset because the teams Melo would want to sign with have nothing more than the MLE to offer him the next two seasons. In the Rockets case, the max offset the Knicks would get would be about $2.5M total in the next two seasons ($500K in 2017-18 and $2M in 2018-19) and $0 in 2019-20.

In a $45M buyout scenario, Knicks either have
    2017-18: Carmelo Hit of $15M - $500K in offset + $1.5M to vet = $16M OR $20M to Ryan Anderson
    2018-19: Carmelo Hit of $15M - $2M in offset + $1.5M to vet = $14.5M OR $20M to Ryan Anderson
    2019-20: Carmelo Hit of $15M - $0 in offset + $1.5M to vet = $16.5M OR $20M to Ryan Anderson

So a buyout and shitty veteran to save $4.3M a year and get 0 assets.

In a $36M buyout scenario, Knicks either have
    2017-18: Carmelo Hit of $12M - $500K in offset + $1.5M to vet = $13M OR $20M to Ryan Anderson
    2018-19: Carmelo Hit of $12M - $2M in offset + $1.5M to vet = $11.5M OR $20M to Ryan Anderson
    2019-20: Carmelo Hit of $12M - $0 in offset + $1.5M to vet = $13.5M OR $20M to Ryan Anderson

So a buyout and shitty veteran to save $7.3M a year and get 0 assets.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just let the agents and player work their magic at this point, if Melo wants to be here i think he'll be here at some point...they'll come back to us later eventually, if not, let them drown in their own **** and deal with their own media making fun of them for the next 12 months. Knicks playing hard ball is pure lulz.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I'm not sure if Silver would allow it to be under wraps. Also, it makes the community aware such that they can organize a group, similar to what Sacramento did. In general, he seems like a pretty private guy (wikipedia doesn't even have a birthday for him). I get the point of selling the franchise. Makes sense, an $85 million investment now worth >$1.5 billion? Worth it.

My fear is just getting an owner like Vivek. He continually screws up the kings hopes and dreams. They should have just moved to Seattle already. However, Ballmer and the Clippers aren't bad. He's done a great job, even lured in Jerry West. So who knows what kind of owner we get...

11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I suspect that pretty much every possible deal that the Knicks, the Rockets, or Melo would be interested in has already been proposed. I guess the Knicks are just hoping that the Rockets or Melo get impatient and cave in to Knick demands.

I don't really feel like everything is starting over.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Loller Coaster.

Jayzers_100 and Pen15clubber like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think tad said they did it this way to maximize interest

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

[Mannix] The Blazers’ early involvement has largely been as a third-team facilitator for New York and Houston, with the teams’ inability to find a fourth team to absorb the contract of Meyers Leonard stalling at least one version of the deal, three sources told The Vertical (sports.yahoo.com)

Expectations are that talks between the Knicks and Rockets will resume in the coming days, with Houston determined to pair Anthony with James Harden and Chris Paul. Yet the complicated nature of an Anthony deal – not the least of which is the two years and $54 million Anthony has remaining on his contract – makes it difficult, likely requiring at least one more team to complete.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

What was the point of Portland pretending to facilitate the deal in the first place? Just to stall things? It's not like they suddenly woke up one morning and decided helping us get Melo wouldn't be advantageous for them.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Someone mentioned them as the third wheel that's tryna smash your girl.

#77 sammy, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  18. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Would be great to see an ownership group led by Yao and Hakeem purchase the team.

Wrong thread, my bad. Discombobulated with this offseason roller coaster ride.

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Knicks approach: Knicks organization bashes Melo when the team is doing bad and then threaten to make him stay when he clearly wants to leave.

Rockets approach: when Harden has a bad playoff series and horrible elimination game against San Antonio, the organization says 'its our fault, we put too much on James. We need to get him help' . They then give Harden the biggest extension in history.

You got to assume superstar players, such as Chris Paul, take note of such things. You reap what you sow New York. Now you get nothing for Melo and must live with it.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

They realized they already have a big 3

Tonaaayyyy and Richie_Rich like this.