1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Very Simple: Get Romo or Jimmy G

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fullcourt, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

We can't act like the Denver and Elway allure/mystique doesn't exist. Sure, we can combat it with logic, but the fact is, Peyton chose to go there in a similar situation and won a super bowl. Some have absolute confidence in Elway, and while it doesn't seem Romo is one of those, it's plausible that one would choose Denver over Houston.

2. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Didn't Peyton want Houston? But Kubiak nixed it supposedly.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Reportedly yes, but Houston was never an option since we didn't want him. It ended up just adding to the Elway knows best narrative.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If we were talking about a rookie that didn't know any better I might buy into that but a vet would know the impact a coaching staff can make and Elway is just a GM. Like another mentioned, Peyton would have picked Houston over Denver, but Houston wouldn't take him.

As I see it, Denver is a much smaller market (The Houston metro area is more populous than all of Colorado combined and it's not close), they have a brand new inexperienced coaching staff, they have changes on the O line, and they have less overall talent than the Texans. I think it's pretty much a no brainer.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You're acting like the Broncos are talentless... They played in a much better division (we went 1-3 against the AFC West)...they have a better defense, a better QB, and theyre working on adding talent to their Oline. Also, what does market size have to do with anything? The Broncos fan base extends far beyond the Texans. They have a following that isn't comparable to the Texans.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They aren't talentless, but by far the best thing about that team was their defense and they no longer have the guy that made that defense what it was. On top of that, they lost Ware as well.

If we're looking at what they are going to have next year, they don't have a better defense, they don't have a QB at all, and they lost their best O lineman. In no way do they compare favorably to the Texans. At all.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Only in BTG's world... is Wade Philliips > than Von Miller.

Only in BTG's world is Denver considerd to be a "afterthought" franchise in comparison to the Texans.

justtxyank likes this.
  8. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yes, but the Texans had Matt Lisfranc.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As far as their defense, they are loaded with talent. Wade leaving will have little impact on their level of play. And Ware leaving... Impacts nothing at all. There is a reason he's retiring, bc he was either injured last year or ineffective.

Their offensive line was one of the worst in the league. They lost Okung, who was good...not great. They added Leary, who's one of the better run blocking guards in the league, while not allowing even 1 sack last season. They also have some internal pieces that should improve... And there is the draft, which will net them at least another starting lineman.

Trevor at QB is solid. I watched 14 Broncos games last season...he made some great throws when give a second to make a play. Their issues were purely Oline... And no running game bc CJ Anderson was injured.

Also, adding McCoy to that team will do wonders for their offense.

You're talking up a Texans team that went 9-7 in one of the worst divisions in football. We had a -49 pt differential compared to the Broncos +36... In other words, we should have won about 6 games while the Broncos should have won 10. We fluked our way to a winning record and are in no position to be claiming superiority over a team that has been among the very best in the game over the last decade and beyond.

There are no guarantees for next seasons results, but to think the Texans are hands down a better team versus the Broncos is absolute silliness.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Plus no state income tax and his family lives in Dallas

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

BOB: "We need to stay quiet harder and support our contact QBs harder...a lot of that is on me."

RasaqBoi likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Speaking on CBS Sports Radio’s “Tiki and Tierney” on Thursday, Michael Irvin ripped the Houston Texans for remaining inactive in the pursuit of Romo.

“If I’m a fan of the Houston Texans, I’m protesting so much right now,” Irvin said, as transcribed by CBS Sports. “What are you doing? You mean to tell me you can throw $72 million at Brock Osweiler . . . but come back and say, ‘We’re not going to offer anything for Tony Romo’? Are you joking? Are you joking? Just say, ‘Hey, take a fifth-round draft pick. Take a fourth-round draft pick.’ Throw out something. Let everybody know that you’re trying.”

Irvin is under the impression Houston only will be able to acquire Romo via trade, and that a free-agent signing apparently won’t be an option. Considering the Texans’ mediocre quarterback depth chart, Irvin is in utter disbelief no moves have been made. “We’re not talking about basic principles; we’re talking winning championships right now,” Irvin said. “You’re not going to pick him up (in free agency). You’re going to (have to) fight for him. This is mind-boggling. I can’t imagine what the fans in Houston are thinking right now. I would be going crazy. You can’t come up with a fifth-round draft pick? It blows my mind.”

http://nesn.com/2017/03/michael-irvin-sounds-off-on-texans-for-not-trading-for-tony-romo/

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Irvin being a dumbass again? I am shocked!

Why would you trade for Romo when you know he's getting released? Besides Jerry's choice is Romo going to Denver

mikol13 likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I guess you would if you thought you might lose a battle to sign him, otherwise, upon his release. "Bird in the hand" sort of thing.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

He's just being a Cowboys fan. He wants whats best for their franchise LOL

18. Nook

Nook Member

Well.

If the Texans have done nothing in free agency because they are waiting on Romo to be released and they have missed out on quality free agents, then fans should be upset that a 5th rounder wasn't sent to Dallas. I don't know if that is the case, but I think it is a valid question to ask.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That sounds a lot like wishful thinking on your part. When you lose the DC that made your defense great and you are replacing him with a rookie DC.....yeah that's a recipe for disaster. No one is arguing that they don't have some talent, but now they don't have any coaching and you can try to downplay that, but it really is a big deal. Given that defense is the ONLY thing Denver has going for them, if they take a step back which they almost certainly will, it'll mean even a worse season than they had last season when they were only the 3rd best team in their division.

Yes, they had a bad O line and they lost their best O lineman and didn't replace him with someone as good.

That Broncos kool-aid you've clearly been drinking must taste good but it does awful things to your judgement. Now we're saying that Trevor Siemian is a good QB? Wow.

Well, let's just say that I disagree with you. Feel free to continue to follow the Broncos as they are yet again the 3rd or 4th team in their own division, I imagine you'll find some way to spin that into an awesome thing. The point is that Romo is telling people that his options are the Texans or retirement meaning that he'd rather retire than have to be on the Broncos.....so yeah.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well... I agree with Irvin, minus his reasoning - letting everyone know you're "trying" has no tangible benefit. BUT, hell yes: if you can throw $37MM (not $72MM) at Osweiler, you can throw a 5 at the Cowboys and stop being held hostage and get on with your offseason. ESPECIALLY if their inactivity is tied to Romo's availability.

Nook likes this.