1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Coon lowers the boom on JB and any Utah Offers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 6, 2016.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

DMO must like a**l because hes getting screwed by his agen

2. dram1

dram1 Member

The whole concept of restricted free agency is to allow teams some leverage in keeping talent. In this case the talent does not desire to play for this organization, which is within his "right" as a human being to desire whatever he so is inspired to desire. But that does not mean the Rockets must appease this desire without receiving some type of compensation in return. So, no...you don't just let a guy walk because he does not want to play here. You get whatever you can out of the player...preferably a trade. What DMo should do is report and play is ass off. Grow his value and increase interest league-wide so he can have more choices on where he might be able to go. D-Mo sitting at home with a guy named "BJ" is a terrible idea.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't see how it's wrong at all. We matched the parts we needed to. It's on BJ to be a competent agent and have D-Mo sign a contract that other teams would have to sign in its entirety. To call doing the proper thing being an ******* is what's wrong.

4. pdama

pdama Member

No, that's called being smart and not overpaying when you don't have to.

"Respond by giving you the finger...and not making any money."

5. Nivos

Nivos Member

Maybe its a culture thing, I don't know.
    It's beyond me how no one here is able to see that its something you just don't do to a man, even if the agent/lawyer screwd up.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Will this dispute go to arbitration?

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Has nothing to do with culture. It's called doing what you are responsible for. We are not taking his money. We are not screwing him. We are matching the contract. Everything that has to be matched has been matched. Full stop. Anything else, would be going above and beyond. Why the hell do you expect us to go above and beyond. That's called wasting money and bad business.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I appreciate you arguing the Dmo side of things, but I have a couple of issues with your points.
    This isn't a game to the Rockets, either. There is not much history of sports teams throwing in an extra several million dollars in a contract for charity, with so many factors for them to account for.
    8 million is enough money that the "it could be his last basketball paycheck" isn't compelling.
    That is also a large amount of money compared to just a couple of years ago in the NBA, 2nd/3rd star money.

Dmo (or I'm suspecting his agent) is becoming victim to the gamblers fallacy at this point; they're fixated so much on recouping perceived losses that they can't walk away with a decent result.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

does BJ know that only the primary offer and not the incentives?

if he knew it, then why didn't he work hard with the Nets to maximize the primary offer and minimize the incentives?

did he explain to DMo all this?

also Nets FO stupid too they made the primary offer small enough for Morey to easily match

10. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

He has been in business for a long time, that's the best they can get, not he messed up, the whole drama is that DMo and his agent think he is worth more than the market and Morey think and they can NOT prove it in half year.

The best DMo can do now is to fire his agent, sign this contract and play

11. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Not sure how a average player gets 7-9 threads

12. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

I hope you are not kidding, he has been working his ass off to get that shitty offer, he probably sequeezed every penny he can to save his face.

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

BJ is a lot like Mister Biggiest Prez in Waitin....doesn't read those dumb reports and stuff.

14. vlaurelio

you don't get it the primary offer is just 32M and thats the only part the CBA requires to be matched

why didn't he max the primary offer to 37M or at least halfway?

doesn't he know that the rockets will only match the primary offer?

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You've been here since 2012 so you should know how this board operates.

13 in 33 and roslolian like this.
  16. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Very true

17. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Not only because of the board but also because of the story behind it. First time in this CBA someone signs an offer sheet well into the season (this things get taken care of much early) and because of him pulling this last stunt of not showing to the physical after matching the offer sheet(first time in league history) and claiming that's within their rights.

I hope the Rockets let him suffer the consequences and don't put him back on the market, you can't allow players to strong arm you like that it will lead to future players trying that in the future. It is his agents job to get him the best offer sheet if he wasn't happy with the Nets offer sheet why sign it in the first place? and wtf is up with the Jazz "Supposedly" offering a bigger deal after the Rox already matched are they trying to Fack with the Rockets? I mean seriously

BJ Armstrong is an idiot, not sure if you guys read what he said regarding Draymonds Green "Unnatural Acts" shows even more how of an idiot he truly is.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So you're saying it's the Rockets responsibility to pay him incentives that they do not want to offer simply because the Nets were willing to offer them?? One of the first rules of business is to put aside your pride, and do what's pragmatic. It's not a culture thing. It's a "Use your head" thing, and right now D-Mo is not doing that.

19. vlaurelio

taboos:
    1. kicking in a basketball game
    2. signing something you don't completely understand and agree with

20. Nivos

Nivos Member

I think it is a cultural thing about how to do business, and how to look at it but I don't want to go there.
    But when I come to an employer with a contract and say, Hey, that's what the other side is willing to give me. The guy says, No Problem, I'll match that, and then takes potential 20% out of what I signed for, I'll be pissed.
    All of this mess is on the agent. It's been on the agent since the whole negotiation started. But the rockets way of dealing with it wasn't clean.
    I'm sure D-mo looks at it like that, and I'm sure many other players in the league looks at it like that.
    What's surprising to me is that close to 100% of this board don't see why the teams attitude towards the player is in the wrong as well.