1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dakota Access Pipeline Standoff

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Dec 4, 2016.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yeah, as long as you can sue somebody, nothing else matters!

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

I agree, Plan B is ready Just in case
    [​IMG]

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can sue someone if something actually happens, sure. Again, you cant tell someone they can't buy the house next to you because they might steal your BBQ pit one day.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

pipelines are far more safe environmentally than tankers

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We not good at keeping these companies accountable
    They will simply file bankruptcy and open under a new name
    or some other shenanigans

Rocket River

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They weren't worried about that when they thought they were about to get paid to run the pipeline legitimately through their land though.....

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I believe you are trying to equate an oil spill to the stealing of a BBQ pit. . . .

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, it's not a perfect comparison, a stolen BBQ pit is a LOT more likely, but the point is that you can't tell someone that they can't buy the house next to you any more than you can tell someone they can't lease someone else's land next to you.

Well, actually they got away with it now due to the US having a really bad president that encourages violence, hopefully the next really bad president fixes the situation and doesn't reward violence.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

As I understand it, the claim is that the US government unilaterally broke a treaty with the tribe and stole the land away from them. And now, they want to build a pipeline there that could put the tribe's water at risk. You and other conservatives in the same position would stand for that?

I think your analogy would be more accurate if the neighboring house used to belong to me, but was taken away without my consent. The risk of a stolen BBQ pit is also off.

http://www.kare11.com/news/dapl-treaty-law-vs-federal-law/362249021
    Protestors getting in violent tussles with law enforcement is a distraction to the underlying issues and should not in my view factor one bit in the federal government's decision to delay the construction and seek out an alternative solution that can work for all parties.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

^^^^^THIS

There is no logic whatsoever to this protest other than a money grab. Our current President is a complete moron.

cml750 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is the tribe demanding that the oil be transported by tanker instead of by pipeline? If not, how does the comparison show the protests are illogical on the basis of environment?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's the method that is currently used and will continue to be used if the pipeline doesn't go through. They are effectively protesting for a more dangerous method of oil transportation through their territory.....but they aren't really environmentalists, they are just greedy douchebags.

cml750 and TheresTheDagger like this.
  13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Exiled likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's it, I'm sold. Back to riding horses and no more technology, it's just too dangerous.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People need to stop engaging BobbytheGreatIdiot

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This a false flag if I've ever seen one. Damn liberals are getting sneaky. Obama probably got his super secret Muslim covert operatives to sabotage the pipeline.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, or what, you'll stalk them online too? Get it together little man.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

for clarification, it's the other way around: sweet Lou was stalked by a member here. He needed a restraining order
    &
    Speaking of greed , pipelines is cheaper option than tanker-truck transportation but doesn't generate many jobs or benefit local community

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well clearly he's picked up the practice of internet stalking since then.

Also, sure, pipelines are cheaper than tanker truck transportation but they are also MUCH safer. The ONLY reason the reservation is throwing a fit is because after they tried to gouge the oil company on the land lease deal, the oil company cut them out entirely. As such, they don't want the pipeline to go through since they can't profit off of it.

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

I agree to some degree but can't fault them for playing monopoly or looking for some marginal profits