1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Allen has died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ras137, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

http://abc13.com/news/former-abc13-sports-dir-bob-allen-has-died/1562661/

I'm saddened by the loss, grew up watching him and Tim Melton doing sports on ABC 13. My aunt met him a few times and said he was a great guy.

I remember watching an ESPN 30 for 30 on SMU's death penalty, and a TV reporter in like 1978? was at Eric Dickerson's Mom's house asking Eric about his new gold car and I was like "Holy crap, it's Bob Allen"

desihooper likes this.
  2. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I just saw this on Twitter. RIP. I met him one time at a Texans game very, very cool guy.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sad news, indeed. Bob /Channel 13 was a fixture in our house forever. I had the pleasure of talking with him on numerous occasions at ballgames over the years. He was a good man who did his city proud...and will be missed.

desihooper likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

very underrated at his job. Was offered jobs at bigger markets numerous times and even a national gig a few times and turned it down. He rubbed some people the wrong way but I know for a fact he was very active with a number of charities and gave his time and money freely.

desihooper likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A Houston legend. He and Marvin Zindler were the best.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Awful news. A fixture in Houston... I'll remember him covering many great sports moments in Houston. RIP, Bob.

desihooper likes this.
  7. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

sad day. there will never be another Bob Allen

8. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Saw him at Kenneally's Irish Pub about 10 years ago, on the other side of the bar from me. He realized I knew who he was but I was too intimidated to approach him. Instead I raised my beer to him and he raised his back. Seemed totally cool but I left it like that.

RIP to a Houston legend

I think the only local sports anchorman left on Bob Allens level is Mark Berman. Hasn't been in the business near as long but will make his mark by the end of his career

desihooper likes this.
  9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, wow. What a loss. I grew up on his reporting and his telling it like it is. So many of my Houston sports memories are synonymous with his voice.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This one really, really hurts me. I was a neighbor of his for a while and used to see him in the elevators going up or down and we became acquaintances. We had a few dinners together, the last in 2013. So many good stories, and even though I knew he was repeating something he'd been asked hundreds of times he was always super enthusiastic to relive and tell, and always up to get out and have dinner anytime he was available. Such a nice person to everyone around, very genuine. I am truly, truly saddened.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is a huge loss to me since I grew up watching Bob, Dave, Marvin, and Ed on Eyewitness News.

12. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

RIP, thoughts to his family. I really enjoyed watching him growing up, and it was strange seeing him on Ch 11 after he left Ch 13.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

RIP. I met him in the green room of a charity event my band was playing at years ago and he was just the nicest most down-to-earth guy. Very involved in the community but liked to keep it on the down-low, from what I understand. Those are the kind of people I have so much respect for.

He was a big part of the big 4 - Allen, Craig Roberts, Giff Neilson, and Mark Berman. The 10 o'clock sports guys most of us grew up watching. Back when the 10 o'clock sports segments really mattered.

14. Buck Turgidson

Same, but don't forget Shara.

Bob was an incredibly nice, funny guy the handful of times I had beers with him and it goes without saying he was great at his job.

**** cancer.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Met him at a wedding May 2, 2015. It was the same day as the Kentucky Derby, game 7 Clips/Spurs and the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, so I made a point to go introduce myself and told him I thought it was pretty cool to meet the guy who I watched growing up on what was one of the biggest sports days of all-time (this was before the fight which was a stinker).

He was extremely gracious and introduced me to his wife. Really sad he's gone.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I still remember to this day how emotional and real he was the day Hakeem left for Toronto. One of the best on-air anchors ever in Houston television history. RIP Bob. And seriously, **** cancer.

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will definitely be missed. It is a true loss. Any of the people I've spoken to who knew him or hung out with him had nothing but nice things to say about him.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Dude...

RIP. Loved me some Bob Allen. I grew up in a "Channel 13" house, so him and Melton, Dave Ward, Marvin Zindler, Gina Gaston, Ed Brandon... grew up with those folks on my TV every day.

Sad, sad news.

desihooper likes this.
  20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's a shame, 70 is too young. RIP Bob.