1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 19, 2016.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Less is not the owner that built 94 and 95 team he just inherited it. He's the worst owner in the league basketball mind wise.

2. brosef

brosef Member

Believe Mchale has the best winning percentage in team history....

3. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

4. photojoe

photojoe Member

I've been a Rockets fan for as long as I can remember. D'Antoni is getting absolutely nothing but instant condemnation from me. It seems like the absolute worst possible fit.

That said, I am and always will be a Rockets fan first. Even though it makes no sense to me, I will pull for the Rockets to excel and will gladly eat crow if they somehow improve under MDA

5. mig0s

mig0s Member

D'Antoni > McHale > Bickerstaff

He's not the best out there but chill guys

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Les: James, what kind of coach do you want?

James: A coach who can help me score more points.

Les: But, but, but Daryl said our offense was fine. The biggest problem was defense.

James: Screw defense. Winning basketball games is about scoring more points.

Les: I'm relieved. We are on the same page. I've been wanting to get that guy for 10 years now.

James: What guy?

Les: Eh... I think his name is Pringle. I read it somewhere on Daryl's computer screen sometime ago. Daryl was surfing a site called WhateverFans. He said he got a lot of laugh there.

7. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

I think I might need a break from the Rockets if this is the ******* direction that we decide to go in. I really though Les might be a visionary for hiring Morey, but more often than not he has been a complete idiot. A couple of ridiculous things he has done...

1) Demanding we don't tank but then become a championship contender (which Morey masterfully pulled off, but probably set us back long term)
    2) Jeremy Lin
    3) Firing Mchale 11 games into the season
    4) Now hiring Dantoni

8. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

And took the team farther than any other coach since 1997.

We could argue about how much of that was the coaching vs how much of that was the players. And in truth it is hard to say. McHale didn't seem to be a good x's and o's coach. But, just looking at results, he was one of the most successful coaches in Rockets history.

I would take McHale in a heartbeat over MDA. Wouldn't even have to think about it.

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think he means that Harden will be gone by 2018 and probably sooner as the Rockets won't risk losing him for nothing that summer. At that point they will sink to a cellar dwellar in the West.

Set aside the stupid hiring of D'Antoni for a moment. The Rockets roster right now is a disaster. Assuming Dwight bolts, this is a worse collection of talent than even the first year Harden was here. At least that team had Asik, Parsons, Lin, a younger, healthier Bev, Delfino, and Patterson(and then Robinson and Cisco when he was dealt). So unless we do very well in free agency this summer, we simply won't have enough skilled players to compete with the top ballclubs in the league or even some of the lower seeded playoff teams. Harden can't do it all on his own.

So assuming the Rockets wind up with a similar record in 2016-17 as they did this season(41-41) or even in Harden's first year here(45-37), why would he wanna stick around beyond the final year of his deal which is the season after next? The answer is he wouldn't and the Rockets would be forced to deal him either next summer or sometime before the February 2018 trade deadline. Which means no matter who or what you get in return, you're looking at several years in the lottery.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. we need i3artow i3aller to photoshop Les's face into the guy in the next car. :grin:

13. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

At this point you just have to step back and look at the big picture: This is only a sport in which we have no control over. Life will go on regardless of the Rockets' success.

But yes, I am not a happy camper with this news but also you just kind of have to say screw it. At least the Texans should be exciting.

14. jk103

jk103 Member

I mean, I actually do think he's a brilliant offensive coach. That Phoenix club really did revolutionize how offense works in the NBA, every team in the league uses drag screens in transition the way he pioneered. But... I don't see how you look at the last season and not put fixing the defense as the #1, #2, and #3 priority for this team.

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i agree, relax guys. its just a head coach. we'll get another one in 4 years.

did you guys know there's over 1000 coaches in the world? we'll be fine

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't like this hire, but if they don't let him assemble his own staff it will be even worse. Not to mention we will need a pretty thorough roster turnover as well to properly run his system. My opinion is that a mike d'antoni hire assures years of rebuilding, so if they are going to do that, they really need to let him have some control over his players and coaching staff. No coach worth a damn would stand for that kind of meddling and I'm afraid that it speaks volumes about where the organization is now.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'm fuming this morning because of this news. All of my anger is directed at Les.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Rockets need to target Mike Conley/Al Horford./Ryan Anderson.

Get 2-3

Sign some shooters at the 2/3. Then let's play some ball.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The franchise is slowly jumping the shark, reminiscent of the end days of Drayton McLane. Living in St. Louis, I am increasingly inclined to put the Rockets into "show me" mode, as in they have to show me something before next year to get me to pay attention at this point. NBA League Pass sucks ass so it's not like I'll be ordering it again. MLB TV on the other hand is better in every single facet, so that's where my patronage will go to for the foreseeable future.

20. SuraGotMadHops

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.