1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Vogel: Contacted by Morey - Morey trying to move fast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Why do you think Vogel isn't a good coach?

He is a young coach, that players play hard for and defensively is elite. His offense is short on weapons.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It would suck if the Rockets lose out on Vogel (if he is their guy) to Phil Jackson and the Knicks.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Bird made it sounds like Dan Burke was not leaving.

4. Marteen

Marteen Member

Wow. They do odds for a coaching search? Next thing you know "Odds that Van Gundy takes a crap in the next hour".

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Bird made it sound as if Burke was the reason their defense was so good LOL.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, Who needs Vogel, we have Burke! Ok Bird.

7. bmd

bmd Member

I've got some inside information that he ordered a Ninfa's burrito for lunch around noon. Do with that information what you will.

1 person likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I doubt Burke would leave. He is very close to Larry Bird and the Pacers.

He is a very good defensive coach, one of the 3-4 best in the NBA as an assistant.

I am perfectly fine with Van Gundy or Vogel. As I said when McHale was hired, I am more concerned with the assistants.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Then that reflects poorly on Bird, because he hired Vogel as head coach..... and isn't offering Burke the head coach job.

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

They're really doing prop bets on who the coach will be:confused:

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Yea... The Pacers basically Jim Harbaugh'd themselves

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, even though Bird is direct, that was kind of a passive aggressive shot at Vogel which was unnecessary. That Bird presser was awkward in a lot of ways.

I agree with you on the Rockets "assistants" additions. DO NOT SKIMP on these. Those are the kind of additions that will be big with the "culture" aspect that the team wants to build.

Nook, do you have any sense of how Les looks at paying assistants?

13. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Its scary how good Bovada is on this stuff? i think they have some inside information from someone

14. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

JVG probably the best for us...won't take crap from any player....also he don't like DHoward and what he did to his Bro in Orlando...so Howard is out if he is our coach.

Vogel is soft like Charmin

1 person likes this.
  15. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

This makes a lot of sense considering he's from NJ.

Vogel is a very appealing option. All of those years that the Pacers went toe to toe with the Miami Heat (and almost won) were very impressive years under Frank. The only caveat was when he pulled out Roy Hibbert in that pivotal game 1 in 2013. Overall, he seems to be an intelligent, hard-nosed disciplinarian, who has a high ceiling as a coach.

His offense never seemed particularly creative, but he doesn't come off as a stubborn guy, and I would expect him to be malleable with whatever assistants he needs. Then again, I wouldn't count on him to be the one to bring a movement system on offense himself.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Les upsets fans and coaches sometimes because he isn't just "pockets", he wants to be involved and sometimes wants particular players (Elie, Lin, Howard). However, contrary to what DD thinks, he has never had a problem spending money if he believes it makes the team better.

If Morey and the head coach want expensive assistants, Les will pay for it. Les also respects Morey, so it isn't that hard to get an assistant or two that they think will really help. Part of the problem is that most of the really good assistants are under contract.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Of the people that the Rockets have interviewed so far (or the ones they are reported to going to interview) which ones do you think would make good "assistants"

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

If Vogel was hired as the Head Coach.

1. D'Antoni
    2. Elie

Would love to have Nate McMillan join the squad if that's' the last option. Basically we need the assistant to have had coaching experience. I added Mario just because of his toughness attitude.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Knicks have reached out to Frank Vogel's representatives to gauge the ex-Pacers coach's interest in the NYK job, league sources confirm.</p>&mdash; Ian Begley (@IanBegley) <a href="https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/728687796790009856">May 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Vogel is really a pushover as is being reported, yeah, JVG is the way to go.

Granted, you don't know what to believe, but going by what is being reported, you know?

If it is JVG, then all these interviews were likely just for show (except for Vogel).