1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Curry: Will finish his career as...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 24, 2016.

?

Stephen Curry will finish his career as?

1. One of the best players of all time

47.6%
  2. The best player of all time

6.8%
  3. One of the best shooters of all time

17.1%
  4. The best shooter of all time

55.4%
  5. One of the best 3 point shooters of all time

13.7%
  6. The best 3 point shooter of all time

44.4%
  7. One of the best ball handlers of all time

22.9%
  8. The best ball handler of all time

3.6%
  9. One of the best point guards of all time

28.9%
  10. The best point guard of all time

7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

We only see Curry succeed today because Lin laid the groundwork for Curry a few years ago when Lin was in Golden State.

3. tksense

tksense Member

Check the highlights... They're all over ESPN and vines. Curry schooled even kawhi all game, made him look completely silly, with the handles and quick release. ESPN also had curry defense highlights from last season. Sorry I know, it turns into salt around here. Just relaying info.

Yes, I forgot to mention the quick release. Literally unguardably quick, which he routinely shot over seven footers right up on his grill.

Play him tight, he dances around and blows by you and finishes in the paint at 68%. Play him tight at 30ft? He steps back to 35ft and still a 40% shot right there. He has solved basketball - put the ball into the hoop.

As a kid 20 yrs ago, not understanding the intricacy of everything basketball during the prime Jordan era, I always wondered why don't players practice throwing up Hail Marys around the edge of the logo and keep shooting for the three point possessions? I can only assume most kids pondered the same but the low percentage shot is discouraged in lieu of disciplined fundamentals. Apparently the young curry thought the same and he is the first nba player to legitimatize this tactic. I foresee more players will follow suit, i.e. Lillard already has.

But the quick release and the consistent shooting form even out to half court is what separates Curry from others. His accuracy is result of years of creative training and hardworks.

And please enlighten us lay persons, how can someone who tops the league at finishing in the paint have a weakness of finishing in the paint against bigs? So only when curry plays no bigs can stand around the paint? But when others finish in the paint they finish against the bigs hence they finish at a lower rate?

Just saying the hype makes sense, and some of us recognize it without sour grapes. Unless you can make some valid arguments against it, and say curry is not as special as ESPN makes him out to be, then we're all ears.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Some of Curry's shots would have been considered lucky Hail Mary shots had he not made them consistently. He would have been called a chucker with no conscience.

Other players may try to follow suit. But if they don't have the same accuracy, they'll be criticized to no ends.

5. tksense

tksense Member

Ok, sooner or later, the curry defense article will pop up.. And his metrics. Sure coach would rather use other players to key in on star guards namely iggy, klay, Barnes, or even dray. That's just smart basketball to save fouls, as they're all versatile defenders and better than curry as far as physique (taller and wider defenders). Curry is in no way a problem/bad on D as you imply; he is a very smart defender.

Ok, so gsw has more shooters so D stays home... And that's the reason you proclaim finishing is one of Curry's weakness? We're talking about weakness. So, his weakness is finishing while he tops the league in finishing? Then who doesnt have this weakness?:confused:

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nope, I don't see it. By the 2nd 3-peat, Jordan had lost a lot of his explosiveness and athleticism (relative to his younger years). He wouldn't be able to drive in as consistently as you think. Remember, he'd be facing Payton, Bowen, Pippen, Rodman, and Olajuwon.

I also don't think his post-up/mid-range game would be as successful as you think. Since he'd be inside the 3 point line, the spacing would be limited. Help defense would be able to double Jordan quickly, and if he passed the ball out, the help defense would easily be able to get back to their original assignment (because there wouldn't be that much space to cover).

Nope, wouldn't work. If an elite defender tightly guarded Curry 30 feet from the basket, Curry would simply go around him. That would force a defensive breakdown and lead to an open shot. If the elite defender gave Curry a few feet of space, then Curry would just shoot the 30 ft jumper.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

Is Curry's shot a text book one? It looks like he releases the ball from his chest. We're being told in schools that you gotta release it from top of your forehead. I'm serious, kids used to call me baby face assassin in 4-5th grades, I was a deadly shooter, shooting from my chest, like all kids do, then started going to basketball practices where coach was demanding us to learn to shoot the proper way. Since that time I never shot as good as when I was a kid with that "broken" shot.
    Now I'm shooting threes with proper release, without leaving the ground. fml

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

[​IMG]

Looks pretty text book to me.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

might want to look closer at curry's shot if you think he releases from his chest

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

clearly there's no way around this argument. In your mind, he's already the GOAT if the best defensive team ever has no choice but to accept a made 30 footer or a drive leading to a breakdown/open shot.

If he can do that, then yes Michael Jordan can break a defense down and find open shooters too.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Break down the defense in what way? I've already explained why I don't think he'd have continued success in the post. If you disagree, it'd be nice if you could elaborate.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

your argument is that defenses can recover easily from doubling someone inside the 3 point line. I think time has proven that not to be true. It might require multiple passes, but so does Steph many times with the Warriors.

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

First of all, we're talking about a defense comprised of some of the greatest defenders in NBA history. It's not like we're using the Rockets' defenders.

Secondly, it depends from where the initial pass originates. If it originates from deep within the paint, then yes, it would lead to an open 3. If it originates from the post, it usually won't.

14. Chamillionaire

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ttpRrdn2SKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GlOqlyt2oGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nZnIk2qXS3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Chamillionaire

This guy is the best PG ever and before it's said and done I think he'll be one of the best 5 players ever to lace them up.

1.Curry
    2.Magic
    3.Stockton

16. zenmar

zenmar Member

Curry is the new human highlight reel.. what he does to a ball is truly a sight to behold :)

17. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

Curry just got seriously punked by the Spurs. 4/18 FG, 1/12 3PT, 14 points. GS Loss.

18. shlhl

shlhl Member

He got brick game like harden today.:cool:

19. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

In come all the Curry haters..

Everyone has an off game. Props to the Spurs defense too. In a 7 game series tho, I'd still see the Warriors winning it

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Spurs can really beat anyone if they put their minds into it. They took GS out of their game and played with their pace. Would be exciting to see game 7 between these two teams in the WCF. Then The LerBons will be waiting in the Finals to lose once again.