1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela - Looking Good in Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKETrobert, Oct 8, 2015.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Players don't develop handles this late in the game. I posted that I wanted him to learn to play like Duncan(not as good, just basic moves), but the more I think about it. I think he should watch of Karla videos. Learn how to make a basic jumpshot from 15-18 feet and run pick and roll/pop on every play he is out there. He's already an elite PNR finisher. Learning how to pop would make him almost indefensible and this wouldn't require him to take more than one or two dribbles. He looks smart enough to make good decisions with the ball.

2. platypus

platypus Member

I'm pretty sure we have Dwight's Bird Rights so we can go over the cap to sign him.

3. basketballholic

That's an interesting point you are making about developing a handle. I somewhat agree with you on that particular skill. In fact, to take it a step further, I really think developing a handle starts earlier than even college. Guys have to have developed a handle before they even get to college. Otherwise their handle isn't going to develop much further once they get into the college game.

But........big men like Capela don't need to develop any full court handle. They don't need through the legs or anything like that. They need two effective, nasty dribbles. And that is something that can be developed. Because in two dribbles Capela can drive from beyond halfcourt to the rim and finish. And in a single dribble, Capela can up-fake from beyond the 3-point and finish with a dunk. Or at the very least get into the low block and execute a series of Hakeem fakes and spins for the easy one.

The key with Capela's game is can he develop a face-up game away from the basket. Can he learn to turn and face and fire efficiently? If so, he can for sure learn to catch-and-shoot efficiently. And from there he can get his two dribbles and get into the blocks. Faceup skills will surpass any need for an extended handle.

Athletically, Capela reminds me of Hakeem with his quickness, etc. But I'm not convinced he has the intelligence to become Hakeem or to work to expand his game the way that Hakeem did.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Daaaaaamn he must have 10 foot long legs.

5. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

He's smart. He knows his role is to crash the boards and play smart defense, and set picks. If he sticks to that he will be a great backup. The guy is freaking young and already showing promise. I've liked him from day 1. Glad we picked him up.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

You don't see how it is possible that Rockets might not have enough money to have Dwight, Durant, Harden, and Lawson? Dwight may not not be able to duplicate 80% of what he can do currently next season.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Exactly Les has various ways of making money from the Rockets. Championships or playing in the finals year after year tends to make more money. So all the small talk about Dwight being only worth say $18 million vs 25 or whatever is just that.

lol when OKC thought that not paying Harden another couple of million was financially wise.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

Really wish we could insert him into the starting line-up! Have Josh Smith as a back-up C, with D-Mo and TJ sharing back-up PF minutes :grin:

10. Normalus

Normalus Member

1 dribble is enough for me if I start from behind the arc to make a lay-up & I'm just 6'6". I know 6'0" guards at age of 35 in minor local leagues who can do the same. For Capela it's should be easy ;)

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nice. Video?

12. Normalus

Normalus Member

I bet you never have played a game. Not worth my time to prove you something. Had you playd you'd know better.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haha calm down buddy. I wasn't arguing with you or saying you couldn't do it. I know people who could. I've seen it. Was just wondering if you would back up a claim you made about yourself. If not, that's fine. No need to get upset.

14. dmoneybangbang

15. WestendMassive

16. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

The Aldridge stopper for the playoffs

17. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

The chance of landing Durant are slim to none.

People need to stop acting like getting Durant is a done deal. Plus we would have Dwights bird rights.

18. MistaK

MistaK Member

If OKC stay healthy this year and do what they have been doing in the past, I don't see Durant leaving. If for whatever reason the Thunder don't live up to expectations though, there is a chance that Durant might leave.

In that case, the Rockets would have to be on top of his list. Aren't Harden and Lawson two of his closest friends in the league? No income tax in Texas, he'd be joining a contender and I'm sure DM would make the money work somehow.

So yeah, if Durant decides to leave for whatever reason, I feel that the Rockets will have a better chance to land Durant than most teams.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Capela has a chance to have a breakthrough season. Kid can play.</p>&mdash; Haralabos Voulgaris (@haralabob) <a href="https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/654127540588560384" data-datetime="2015-10-14T02:52:13+00:00">October 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've never said Durant to Houston is a done deal. Only a few "insiders" act like it is a done deal. In the hopeful scenario he wants to come to Houston, Dwight's bird rights won't matter as he will have a cap hold (i.e. can't sign Durant with all money under cap and then sign Dwight to contract greater than cap with Bird Rights). I guess it would technically be possible to gut team to keep Dwight if Durant wanted to come, but with health issues, I'm not sure Rockets try to add a Barkley again to a thin team.