1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do people get super fat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YaosDirtyStache, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Suppose you weight 100lbs. Suppose you are 50pounds fat. Suppose at BMR is 1000KCal. If you eat 500KCal you will lose fat. And your body fat will go down. And your body fat% will go down. The Body is mostly water. Fat is a very good source of energy the body isn't going to leave it there sitting.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

You are absolutely correct and I probably took what you typed out of context.

IMHO, diet is 90-95% of how you look. While exercising does set you up for success in the long run, it isn't necessary to be a healthy weight. For those who have a more active job that includes lifting and walking, you get all the workout you need. For people that sit at a computer all day, it's definitely important to at least do some walking and stretching to counteract other health issues.

Counting calories is a GRIND. The day in and day out aspect of it can burn people out. To expect somebody that is obese, especially kids, to count every calorie they intake is probably too much to ask and would lead to failure in the end. IMHO, it's better to promote a healthier and active lifestyle with balance that people can maintain for the rest of their lives and pass down to their kids.

4. Voice of Reason

You kind of skipped over my identical twin question. I’m going to assume you did not answer it because you agree with it to some extent.

I'm surprised that you are going to critisize the fitness craze of the 70's. Especially, when you take into consideration that people were thinner in the 70's and diabetes was rare. I grew up in the 60's and 70's. The reason people are overweight today has nothing to do with the biological issues that you brought up.

What has changed between the 70's and today? Is it because carbs raise blood sugar which raises insulin levels, which you mentioned in a previous post? Considering that Asian have a high carbohydrate diet and are some of the thinest people on earth, I would say no. Whats changed since the 70's is the high calorie diet of processed foods and the lack of physical movement.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Agree wholeheartedly. When I eat normally (not as healthy as I should), regular exercise helps me maintain that weight. When I eat healthy, I'll drop a bit of weight. When I eat healthy and exercise, I get down to my desired weight in a relatively short period of time. It's that darned eating healthy part that is difficult. :) It's easier for me to run 15-20 miles a week than it is to give up a beer or steak or potato.

6. YaosDirtyStache

This thread was resurrected like Jesus and then came back stronger than ever.

YES!

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Fat is a good source of energy, but if you're constantly downing sugar, why would it have to tap into fat sources for energy? The body prefers sugar over fat.

And my point wasn't that the body would leave fat alone completely. If you force it to use fat, then it will eventually, but by keeping insulin in check you give it almost direct access to fat, instead of forcing things, which should mean better results.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You can't fight evolution. It's all a mechanism of the splitting of our species. I for one prefer to be a Morlock. You fattened-up Eloi will be as delicious as Kobe Beef. Yum.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/why-we-get-fat/

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<iframe width="512" height="376" src="http://video.pbs.org/viralplayer/1506746269" frameborder="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" seamless allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting . . ..

Rocket River
    #NecroBump
    LOL

11. aggie87

aggie87 Member

every body in the world has the possibility to lose weight/gain muscle..

some are blessed better genetically but I didn't watch what I ate in college and went from 150lbs to almost 200lbs my junior year of college...

I began exercise and eating healthy and now at 28 years, I am 140 lbs with a 9% body fat percentage...

people who become obese suffer from low self esteem, poor lifestyle decisions, and yes endomorph genetics

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I was 350 at the beginning of this year. Got there do to laziness and poor eating. Used to go to the gym a lot.

Starting eating better and going to the gym regularly and I'm at 260 now. Plan to get to 225 hopefully by year's end. I don't know if I could ever see myself below 200 at 6'2", but when I was at 225 before I felt like a physical freak. I feel genetics played a part because my parents aren't fat but they are big people.

2 people like this.
  13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The video claims 1 in 1000 have the cundishions they are talking about. Prader-Willi syndrome is like 1 in 25,000. In all cases, eating less makes you lose weight.

Fat people who claim to eat salads and workout 5 times a week are full of crap (literally).

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

good job man. i wish you could give me some of the weight. im 6 feet tall and about 160 lbs. need more muscle :eek:

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

6 feet 160... holy ****. lol.
    Time to get them noob gains.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I know everyone isn't a skinny minny but the genetics thing gets way too much attention. Your weight is determined almost exclusively by diet and exercise. There's a reason why Japanese are getting fatter today. It isn't because their genetics changed. It's because their diet changed and became more American.

I will still never forget when I was in Scotland (not the fittest place in the world lol) about 12 years ago. There was a Chillis there with a sign on the outside window that advertised "American sized" portions lol. That pretty much sums up Americas obesity problem.

17. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Here's how it's done.

You start out weight 160 and in reasonably good shape. Maybe about 12% body fat. Then you stop going to the gym and kind of just eat whatever you feel like eating. I'm not talking about buckets of ice cream and 12 packs of beer per night, I just mean your not worried anymore about your diet, so the typical american diet might look something like this.

Breakfast - Value meal at Macdonalds (In a hurry to get to work, no time for sit down meal = 700 Cal
    Lunch - Deli (Sandwich, Chips and Coke, convenient option and generally sounds healthy) = 850 Cal
    Office snack (Someone brought cookies & you grab a few) = 210 Cal
    Dinner - Burger & Fries/soda at a restaurant with family or co-workers = 1300 Cal

Totals = 3060 Calories for the day while your body burns maybe 2500 per day for an excess of about 550 Calories. Do this for an entire month and you have an excess of 16500 calories.

3500 = 1Pound so you gained 4.5 pounds in a month. Your first month you go from 160 to 164, no one notices. Your second month your at like 167, no one notices. After month 6 or 7 your now about 180 pounds. Live like this for 2 - 3 more years and you end up close to 300 pounds.

Of course in real life it's not a straight mathematical equation, the average person will gain more some months and some months less but generally in the long run, lack of attention to your diet/exercise combined with stress and being busy makes you fat. My sister in law use to be very thin, probably 5'2 weighed about 110, today she weighs about 175. The food options we have in america these days make it so that if your not paying attention, you can get fat very quickly.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

TDEE increases the fatter you get so you have to eat more to get fatter. This is generally why people don't end up 300 pound bloaters but just slightly obese. Also why people are able to lose 20 pounds then level off. Their TDEE has reached their new reduced caloric intake and weight loss stops.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Crazy stuff some people are throwing out there.

Was 290 pounds three months ago.

I have dropped down to 260 pounds.

I eat as follows(two workouts a day)

Post workout shake(meal one)
    Chicken breast 1/2 cup broccoli(meal two)
    Chicken breast 1/2 cup broccoli(meal three)
    Post workout shake(meal four)
    Chicken breast/mixed pasta w pesto sauce)(meal 5)

I have dropped about 4 inches on waist. Calorie intake is about 1400 calories a day.

I have one cheat meal/day a week. Due to heavy lifting and high amounts of protein I have dropped BF% much more than muscle luckily.

I got a desk job for a sales company. Would drink every night, and eat fast food on the regular. Gained a solid 6-8 pounds a month for a year and all of a sudden I was like WHAT the heck happened.

My intake is tiny but the amounts of protein keeps you full. And always drink a gallon of water a day. Boom.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Your summary is hilariously true for how I used to be.