1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: On Corey Brewer's Debut and the Looming Josh Smith Signing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

First Thanks Clutch. Listening right now

3. hopn

hopn Member

Listening now, thanks Clutch.

4. fadeawayjae

fadeawayjae Member

Yay I've been waiting for another podcast

5. basketballholic

Transition
    .............Transition
    ..........................Transition
    .......................................Transition
    ....................................................Transition
    .................................................................Transition
    ..............................................................................Transition
    ...........................................................................................Transition
    ........................................................................................................Transition
    ......................................................................................................................Transition
    ..................................................................................................................................Transition
    ...............................................................................................................................................Transition
    ............................................................................................................................................................Brewer
    .....................................................................................................................................................................JSmoove
    .................................................................................................................................................................................???????

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

About the constant tweaking. If a Dragic type moves comes earlier than the trade deadline. I'd consider Shved + Black for the expiring contracts of Jason Smith + Prigioni as third option injury covers, ie won't play.

Knicks would save 1.2M + whatever they save on luxury tax.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like they disagree on Smith.

MK: Too many years of bad play and decision making to expect something different. ... He's not the same defensive player he was in Atlanta. Older player even though just 29. He's awful. He's been out front for so long, to expect him to come here and essentially do the "dirty work", I don't see it. He can come in here and become disruptive (not in a good way) with how he plays. ... Maybe he changes his attitude but he's been a negative offensive player for a long time and to ask a leopard to change his spots with the snap of your fingers is a concern. Low risk financially. Maybe he's different but you're talking about a lot of history. If he's not what he was athletically, what are you buying yourself into?

DH: At 2 mil, it's such a low risk that you can take. If it works out, you can trade Jones or Motiejunas and is looking right at Dragic.

DH: Do you trade Motie, NO pick, and Capela for Goran with half a season left and UFA?

MK: That goes with getting Smith. You can't eliminate Motiejunas without having another four. Way too risky. You're getting Dragic and Smith and losing Motiejunas, Capela and a first round pick. All day, every day you take that.

DH: With Goran, comfortable saying they could contend for a NBA title.

MK: A) Don't want to get my hopes up. B) McHale also brought up all the changes of late and wondering where it's going. You're constantly changing because of injuries first then a couple of trades and now a potential acquisition of Josh Smith. At some point you have to lock in your roster and move forward. You can't keep tweaking, tweaking, tweaking. That's the knock on Daryl. When you're a championship contender, you get your guys, stay with them, move forward. At some point you stop, this is what you got. If it's Dragic, you move forward and stop tweaking because at some point, you never find out the identity of your team.

8. aznjeff

aznjeff Member

i would like to keep dmo. maybe we can get smith off the bench

9. basketballholic

I'll be shocked if we trade DMo for Goran. If we do, now we're short a legit big man going up against the West. Won't work unless we get another big to fall out of the sky into our lap.

Repeat: I'll be shocked if we trade DMo for Goran or any other PG for that matter. And I want Goran just as much as anybody here does.

10. Nivos

Nivos Member

Thanks, great stuff!

11. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

It seems to me to be a no-brainer. In certain circumstances last year, we were very effective with Omer and Dwight on the court together. Josh can do what Omer did (defend and rebound), while also doing what Omer had trouble doing (finishing in transition). The issue will be in which unit will he play (1st or 2nd), and whether he will refrain from shooting the ball too much from too far away. I am not too worried about chemistry issues, but Josh will have to earn any minutes that he takes away from Donuts, who has been playing well. But when T-Jones comes back, we will have a log jam and butthurtitis may spread around the locker room.

12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

thanks c!

13. Moleb

Moleb Member

D Mo's values is way higher than Smith right now. For a person to be waived with that much money owed shows that he is really really a bad player to have on your team. Players waived is often saved for 2nd rounders and D league players.

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yes yes yes.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree with MK - and think that Morey can't help himself, and needs to stop tinkering with the MAJOR portion of the roster.

Brewer and Shved - fine, and if you can get Smith and keep him in line for cheap, ok.

But trading any other piece like DMo for Dragic - IMHO would be a mistake - you don't trade big for small - unless it is for a SUPERSTAR player and Dragic is not one of those...

Put a stake in the ground and ROLL with what you have - we don't need any more pieces - this team is a contender as it is.

DD

17. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I agree that if we sign Josh Smith a Trade with the Suns is coming but I think it's for Bledsoe instead of Goran. He is already signed for the next five years and gives you defense, offense, rebounding and a another physical ball handling creator.

Also I would not include Capela in any trade, maybe D-Mo and Nick Johnson

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Josh Smith gets analytics love? Got to think that DM does not want Smith, even at 2 million per year.

19. varughese.arun

DO NOT TRADE Donatas Motiejunas!

I can't believe what Im hearing...
    First, I agree, we should get Josh Smith. ONLY BECAUSE HE COSTS US NOTHING! Not as a potential trade bate for Goran, if that means loosing The GREAT D-MO!!!

In last years playoffs, the Rockets looked like a deer in the headlights!

In the play-offs, the transition game will NOT be as available, as it is in the regular season. Howard was the only one that facilitated the FOUNDATION of our offense- the "inside-out" game. Frankly, I get scared every time Howard posts-up.

Donatas is a better post-up player!

With Donatas Motiejunas' post-up skills, we don't have to rely solely on Howard's post game. Donatas can shoot the free throws better than Howard (No more hack a Howard)! With both Donatas Motiejunas and Howard, the rockets Bigs, also have available to them the short dumps off (inside passes) available to them, just as the Spurs do with Diaw and Duncan.

We need an EVEN BALANCE, inside and out.
    WE CAN'T AFFORD TO GIVE UP D-MO even if it's for GORAN DRAGIC!
    The play-offs are different. Its a half court game. WE NEED PLAYERS THAT WE CAN RUN HALF COURT SETS THROUGH! GORAN won't be able to do that! Goran, will look just as lost as Harden did in last year's play-offs!

DO NOT TRADE Donatas Motiejunas! PLEASE!

2 people like this.
  20. Play07

Play07 Member

If we get smith the last player we are missing, is someone a PG or SG who can come off bench control ball and can get buckets without Assist. It doesn't have to be dragic.

But when Harden sits we don't have that guy, we have to just hope the 3s fall from assist. Not even Howard can be trusted to get buckets when harden sits.

We need a guy like mccolm last night, nick young, waiters, Crawford, idk will be a lot of people the NO pick can get the job done in a trade for, without giving up DMO for dragic.