1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill O'Brien emerges as Houston Texans No. 1 target for new head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by platypus, Dec 22, 2013.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think the offensive guys (O'brien, Whisenhunt, etc) are going to have an upper hand over someone like Lovie Smith.

Offensive innovation and QB play is so vital to success in today's NFL that it really makes too much sense to have your leader as on offense guy and QB mentor.

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

If his girlfriend comes along, then why not :cool:

3. Raven

Raven Member

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Really?

Bridgewater would have the best pocket awareness in Texans history, the day he walked through the door. Arm strength? Debatable. That's saying something considering when Schaub was at his best, he was pretty good.

As far as Manziel goes, I'm sure he'll be good, I just don't see him being that good. I think he relies on his athleticism a bit too much, and I don't think he'll get by with it in the NFL. I also think his height is a limiting factor (sure, tell that to Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, right?). Now, I haven't seen as much of him this year, but I know last year, he definitely relied on his star receiver a bit too much, as well. I do know he's a bit more of a polished passer, from what I hear, so maybe that's changed?

#124 Two Sandwiches, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Also why I still think Rick Smith should have been fired along with Kubiak.

#1). Detroit is not a better job than Houston. Our talent is comparable, and both teams have significant holes at key positions. The difference being that whole swaths of the city of Houston aren't lawless, basic city services work, and our mayor is not a felon.

#2). No coach with any class would talk to a team while they still had a head coach in their employ (even though a 3rd party). For years teams would reach out to Cowher and he had a hard and fast rule about that...which speaks to him being a class act. I'm gonna give O'Brian the benefit of the doubt and assume he won't we talking with Detroit until Swartz is fired.

#3). The Texans really need to get this decision right. They've got to be bold and they can't be afraid of taking a risk. We need to find the next big thing, and that is not a retread like Lovie Smith. O'Brian's track record is impressive and I like the idea of bringing him in and drafting a QB #1. As others have mentioned, O'Brian is the right coach for a developing franchise QB. Get er done!

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He's Irish, so I'm all for it!!

Seriously though...he's Irish. Does that make him better? Of course not. Does it make him worse than you? It might. Does it mean he's not qualified? Probably not. Does it mean you'd love to grab a beer with him and talk sports, God, philosophy and/or shift work? Probably.

He's not a retread...Lovie feels like Gary to me all over again. I can't handle that.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From SI's Don Banks:
    More on O'Brien from The MMQB (link).

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There's no way Wade is still in consideration, right?

9. Two Sandwiches

Hopefully not.

Also, didn't Tom Cable orchestrate a catastrophe when he was in Oakland? If I remember right, the record was good, but he broke someone's jaw and was suspended amidst chaos?

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You guys have convinced me.....

11. Summer Song Giver

Carr dominated TB5 in terms of arm strength, you'd lose that debate.

Whoever they pick, whatever the route, they better get it right because to date, they have been losers and if it weren't for Manning leaving the division we'd probably be looking at zero playoff appearances to date.

In short, the Texans in their brief existence have been a complete joke.

12. Two Sandwiches

I honestly could not remember much about Carr's arm strength and that's why I put that.

13. Raven

Raven Member

That pretty much sums it up.

14. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Why doesn't anyone in the houston media ever
    Break a story. It always comes from outside
    Does John McClain have a clue on this search?

15. MadMax

It was the point about grabbing a beer with him, right? That's what put it over the top for you.

You're welcome.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

No to Tom Cable, and a giant HELL NO to Mike Sherman.

17. htown1984

htown1984 Member

So if we hire bill obrien for HC
    Who would you want for DC. Do you think
    Phillips would stay.. Or who does obrien have
    In mind

18. MadMax

Am I supposed to read this in some sort of rhythm? Do I set it to the tune of Three Blind Mice?

1 person likes this.
  19. htown1984

htown1984 Member

Lol sorry I'm on the iphone but now that I look at it, it does look like a tune/poem

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Patient owner, enthusiastic fan-base, forgiving media, big city, #1 pick, #1 defensive player, (should be) elite LT - it's the best NFL job that will be open anytime soon by far. Too much baggage in Dallas, expectations unrealistic in NY. There's no reason we should not get our guy and have pick of the litter.

We can get whoever the hell we want.